Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Hmwk responsibility of the student

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 5:30 pm
I don't know if I'm making my dd less responponsable or she is just not ready. Or pushing her to hard that she's goving up. 4th grade qt the begging of the year I was very on top of her. Very on top of hmwk and test. If she was missing information she called a friend. Also on top of her backpack.. because she not the most organized Fast forward she started complaining that she always has hmwk pushing it off until she doesn't end up doing it. Usually the rule is to do it right away but she's been having some valid reasons why later is better. But later never happens and I'm busy then
. Also due to family circumstance I wasn't around to help her organized her backpack. After I pushed her to reorganization once I was back because more than usual piling up.. but after that she's little lazy she is not doing so well In maintaining it at all. She w a complaint about test and send. So one test I told her its her choice if she wants to study she chose not to. And is giving me a hard time about test ever since. With a bit of help on a daily basic she is an amazing capable student. She needs help a little in organization and being on top of hmwk and tests. Now her teacher is complaining it has affected every part of her being a successful student. I can bribe her but it won't teach responsibilities.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 5:32 pm
How old is she? A lot depends on that.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 5:40 pm
Make her a chart. HW done by x time. Knapsack organized once a week. Etc. You reward her for the chart but let her be on top of it. You can give some reminders.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 5:40 pm
I think it’s our job to teach them and help at this age. I wouldn’t give them choices about studying or doing homework. When they are in 7th+ grade they can start making decisions and understanding why it’s a bad decision. Especially if the teacher can see it’s affecting her overall school experience.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 5:50 pm
Is she your oldest?

I think it's not the best thing for your relationship with her to be so on top of her about school work. I would hire a homework tutor to come 2-3 times a week to help her organize her homework and study time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:00 pm
She's in 4th grade. Not my oldest. Why does it matter? Why can't she do it with me? I have 3 boys on top. They are so different. They learn with my husband .They are very responsible. In general she's not very responsible and I wander if I let her get away with to much. She doesn't make her bed. I try to teach her responsibility but Im a failure. QMy boys also prepare clothing and wash cup by their bed for the morning. I need to be much more on top of her. But also expect less because of it.

dv

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:18 pm
I have a 4th grade daughter, she is pretty responsible but I am still in the room or sitting with her when she does her homework and homework is done right away when she gets home. She is my youngest and I know sometimes it’s easy to forget they’re only 9 and it gets frustrating….
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children