Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
At what temp is it necessary to take a kid to the doctor?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:22 pm
Ds had 105 before. After Tylenol and a bath, he has 102.6. Should I take him to an urgent care or can it wait until tomorrow?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:22 pm
I would take now or at least call the on call pediatrician. 102/103 or above is high

small bean

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:23 pm
Sounds viral. No need to rush to the doc.

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ds had 105 before. After Tylenol and a bath, he has 102.6. Should I take him to an urgent care or can it wait until tomorrow?

How old is he?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:28 pm
Over 103 is considered really serious. 105 I would definitely go to the doctor even if it dropped, it can go right back to 105.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:29 pm
I was told over 103 if 3 days or more or on same day if accompanied by severe headache, sore throat, symptoms of dehydration, or other concerning symptoms

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:31 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I was told over 103 if 3 days or more or on same day if accompanied by severe headache, sore throat, symptoms of dehydration, or other concerning symptoms

3 days? That doesn’t sound right. 101/102 for 3 days is doctor worthy. Over 103 can cause problems or can mean something serious so it’s important to go right away.

newyorkmom

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:33 pm
My son had high fever like that (105) with the flu and my pediatrician said there isn’t anything dangerous about it if you are able to lower it. It means the body is fighting a virus or infection which could probably wait till next day.

cbg

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:33 pm
How old

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:37 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
3 days? That doesn’t sound right. 101/102 for 3 days is doctor worthy. Over 103 can cause problems or can mean something serious so it’s important to go right away.

Sorry, but 103 is high grade but not dangerous in and of itself. I'm talking over toddler age here.
https://www.unitypoint.org/liv.....71946
https://kinsahealth.com/guidan.....years
https://www.google.com/amp/s/h...../amp/

I just asked today because of my kid with a high fever and that's what I was told and mainstream health sites are also not saying to rush to the doctor past toddler age at 103.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:38 pm
He's 6. He's very sleepy, screams when I touch him, and often screams that his eyes hurt. He only wants me to hold him so he can bury his eyes in my shoulder, and he keeps falling asleep. B"H now he's sleeping in bed.

mom!

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:43 pm
I would err on the side of caution and take him.
At the very least, call the pediatrician and ask.

Why would you wait?

INSPIREME

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He's 6. He's very sleepy, screams when I touch him, and often screams that his eyes hurt. He only wants me to hold him so he can bury his eyes in my shoulder, and he keeps falling asleep. B"H now he's sleeping in bed.

Sorry - this sounds like it warrants at least a call to the doctor now if not an immediate visit

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

105 is really high. I think you need to call your own pediatrician who knows your child and ask. I mean, it responded to Tylenol and bath and went down so it's not dangerous now, but if it climbed back even to 104 I'd start to worry personally. I usually just let fevers run their course and don't do Tylenol or anything, but with numbers like that I'd be doing what I can to keep the fever down. And really, call your own doctor to discuss rather than rely on people who don't know your child and his medical history.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This is more concerning to me than the fever, please take him to have his eyes checked.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:47 pm
mom! wrote:
I would err on the side of caution and take him.
At the very least, call the pediatrician and ask.

Why would you wait?
Because I recently moved to a new state and don't have a doctor or insurance here. Also, I don't drive and dh is working until midnight.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just saw this. You need to call your pediatrician and see if he wants you to come in or go to urgent care. G-d willing all is well, but to not consult with your doctor on this is negligent IMO.

Refuah sheleimah.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because I recently moved to a new state and don't have a doctor or insurance here. Also, I don't drive and dh is working until midnight.

I would ask DH to come home. If not possible, then I would get in an Uber or call an ambulance. This should not be ignored.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:52 pm
I agree. Please find an urgent care and pay out of pocket expenses.

Eselle13

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:54 pm
Why only Tylenol and not Motrin? Motrin is much more effective at lowering fever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics