Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Six digit income - breaking even or rich?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:33 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I am sorry that this was so triggering to you. But I just answered the question, and I never said that we are just getting by! I said we are not rich! We are comfortable! The word RICH should not be thrown around like op was claiming . Rich is yachts and private jets and $100,000 vacations. Rich is not just well off.

You are right, and it's just semantics.

I consider rich to be able to splurge on luxurious, and wealthy would be maybe your definition of rich. To me comfortable is being able to cover basic expenses and anything else that pops up, and enjoying some extras occasionally. But it's just semantics.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I am sorry that this was so triggering to you. But I just answered the question, and I never said that we are just getting by! I said we are not rich! We are comfortable! The word RICH should not be thrown around like op was claiming . Rich is yachts and private jets and $100,000 vacations. Rich is not just well off.

Rich is relative.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:35 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

No, Filthy rich is yachts, private jets and $100,00 vacation. Just good old plain rich means spending $10-15k monthly on miscellaneous, $8K monthly on life insurances, etc, - and still being able to put away a couple of thousands of dollars in savings on a monthly basis.

Curious as to why you don't want to be referred to as rich?

cupcake123

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:43 pm
Why is everyone attacking amother blush? I actually appreciate seeing someone wealthier then myself budget it is very interesting/enlightening
It is a known thing everyone thinks they dont have enough and could use more. Take a poll here ask:
Do you think you have enough money or do you want more
Report back

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:56 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
We aren’t earning this amount for too long, and do try to invest in our future as well.
$50k a month
10k charity
3k mortgage small home in expensive city
1k car, ins, gas etc
1k utilities
2.5k tuition
8k life insurance for everyone (investment too)
5k food approx
1k personal trainers
1k insurance
10k-15k misc credit card including everything else clothing, house purchases, entertainment, vacation yom tov etc….
And of course we use petty cash as well…..
5k saving if possible

Now I know you will say there are luxuries here and I agree, but if I’m comfortable I should be able to have luxuries.
If I’m rich I would be able to have luxuries and put away lots of money monthly which isn’t happening so much now.

Wow that’s awesome! Can I ask HOW u guys are making all this money? I thought I was doing well at 130k with 7 kids!
Tips please! Smile

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Wow that’s awesome! Can I ask HOW u guys are making all this money? I thought I was doing well at 130k with 7 kids!
Tips please! Smile

The thing is... You probably are!

Poor little me barely cracking $100k had to work hard for years and years to get to this level, and I work hard at a grueling emotionally draining job.

It's sad that we live in a community where those accomplishments are not valued and we're just the poor shleppers.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:15 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Tips please! Smile

How do you do it? That’s awesome !
Can I hear your budget?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:29 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
How do you do it? That’s awesome !
Can I hear your budget?

Sure, if u tell me how u make so much money LOL

Lol yes, I’ll post my budget in a minute

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:31 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
The thing is... You probably are!

Poor little me barely cracking $100k had to work hard for years and years to get to this level, and I work hard at a grueling emotionally draining job.

It's sad that we live in a community where those accomplishments are not valued and we're just the poor shleppers.

Oh I don’t think it’s poor little me. I work very hard and built myself up too and I think I’m doing great! I’m awed by these other posters- that there is so much more to be made- it’s actually really motivating to me. It doesn’t make me feel “less than“ at all.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:40 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Why is everyone attacking amother blush? I actually appreciate seeing someone wealthier then myself budget it is very interesting/enlightening
It is a known thing everyone thinks they dont have enough and could use more. Take a poll here ask:
Do you think you have enough money or do you want more
Report back

No one is attacking her for making a lot of money. I don't begrudge her the fact that her annual income is in the top 1% of annual incomes in the US.

But its utterly tone deaf to say, as she is, that her approximately million dollar a year income doesn't really afford her luxuries. After all, she's only able to spend $120,000 to $150,000 a year on incidentals, and $12,000 on a personal trainer.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:40 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Oh I don’t think it’s poor little me. I work very hard and built myself up too and I think I’m doing great! I’m awed by these other posters- that there is so much more to be made- it’s actually really motivating to me. It doesn’t make me feel “less than“ at all.

I don't really have potential to make much more than I already am.

But I find it intriguing that people think it's in their control how much money they make

Doesn't it go against our hashkafa that whatever you earn is predetermined on RH?

cupcake123

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:44 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
No one is attacking her for making a lot of money. I don't begrudge her the fact that her annual income is in the top 1% of annual incomes in the US.

But its utterly tone deaf to say, as she is, that her approximately million dollar a year income doesn't really afford her luxuries. After all, she's only able to spend $120,000 to $150,000 a year on incidentals, and $12,000 on a personal trainer.

The key word is luxuries here. It's a very subjective word. For some it would mean having a cleaning lady. For some going on vacation. For some a BMW. For some a private jet. Shes saying she doesnt have her definition of luxuries. That's all.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:53 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Sure, if u tell me how u make so much money LOL

Lol yes, I’ll post my budget in a minute

11k:
-3,600- mortgage
-3,000- tuition and childcare (lakewood)
-Cleaning lady-600
-Tutor- 700
-learning rebbe- 1,200
We have no bus so Ride to/from school- 3 different schools!
-350, 135, 400= total of abt 900
Utilities- 400?
Internet/phone - 200
Food - 800-1000
500- miscellaneous on credit card- clothes, diapers, target, Walmart, amazon etc.

This is a little more than 11k but Our expenses are about half during the summer So it evens out.

-I don’t know car & health insurance #s sorry.
-We own a second hand sienna and a Camry it’s cheaper than leasing.
- we don’t eat out much. If we do it’s maybe once a month to the bagel or pizza store.
I feel comfortable. I can buy my kids clothes every season. I shop clothing sales at the end of the season for the next bec I enjoy getting a bargain. My kids are dressed beautifully for a fraction of the cost.
I’m able to buy myself things. Clothing, iced coffee. To me, those are luxuries to be thankful for. Not everyone has that.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:58 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
The key word is luxuries here. It's a very subjective word. For some it would mean having a cleaning lady. For some going on vacation. For some a BMW. For some a private jet. Shes saying she doesnt have her definition of luxuries. That's all.

Maybe we shld re- examine our luxuries? And think abt a time when you dreamed of having what you have now. That keeps you grateful and humble!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:04 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
11k:
-3,600- mortgage
-Cleaning lady-600
-Tutor- 700
-learning rebbe- 1,200
Utilities- 400?
Internet/phone - 200
Food - 800-1000
500- miscellaneous on credit card- clothes, diapers, target, Walmart, amazon etc.

This is a little more than 11k but Our expenses are about half during the summer So it evens out.

- we don’t eat out much. If we do it’s maybe once a month to the bagel or pizza store.
I feel comfortable. I can buy my kids clothes every season. I shop clothing sales at the end of the season for the next bec I enjoy getting a bargain. My kids are dressed beautifully for a fraction of the cost.
I’m able to buy myself things. Clothing, iced coffee. To me, those are luxuries to be thankful for. Not everyone has that.

$130k is your after tax income?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:08 pm
Here's my budget:

Mortgage $1000
Tuition $3200
Car expenses $500
Utilities $500
Food $800
The rest goes to pay off various debts.

cupcake123

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:10 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
11k:
-3,600- mortgage
-Cleaning lady-600
-Tutor- 700
-learning rebbe- 1,200
Utilities- 400?
Internet/phone - 200
Food - 800-1000

Which grocery store in lakewood do you use? That is such a good food bill for a family of 9!

Rubies

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:22 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:

No one said she isn't comfortable and spending on luxuries.
I still don't consider that rich.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:24 pm
Is anyone going to tell us what industry makes so much money? Is it real estate? Investing? Please do tell.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:30 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Is anyone going to tell us what industry makes so much money? Is it real estate? Investing? Please do tell.

We go through this often on this site.

Real estate, nursing homes and all kinds of other entrepreneurial pursuits.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics