Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 yo DD doesn't share

missmuffetsmum

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:13 am
DD is closer to 3yo than 2yo. She's the eldest and for just under 2 years, everything and everyone belonged to her. Her little brother is now 10mo and (finally!) crawling, trying to get the toys he wants to play with. However, no matter WHAT he chooses - or what we give him - she takes it away bc she NEEDS it. She's been doing it for months. It's really frustrating! Any suggestions?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 5:32 am
Completely normal 2 year old behavior

myname1

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 5:52 am
I had/have the same. What I usually do is tell the toddler to get something else for the baby first, then ask the baby to trade. If the baby doesn't mind (which they usually don't, that young), that works (and teaches some empathy/compassion/whatever). If I buy something like a bottle for the baby and toddler wants it (which they always do), I usually say "You have lots of nice things. Baby also needs nice things sometimes. This is for her." But it sounds like you're talking about toys that were toddler's and now baby wants to share. Like I said, if it works for both of them, I'd allow it for now. As they grow together into peers and hopefully wonderful playmates, this should get much better. Lots of nachas!!

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:24 am
Has she been to a babysitter or daycare at all? Group settings teach sharing real fast

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 9:18 am
Its age appropriate.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 10:00 am
Oh my gosh, so normal!

She needs toys that are HERS only, and a safe place to keep them so the baby can't get them. If DD wants to sit up on her bed and play with her dolls in peace, then let her.

The baby needs baby toys, and she needs to understand that those are not for big girls. Then there are the share toys, and they are for EVERYBODY.

Wanting to have your toys to yourself is not a bad thing. As long as there are toys designated as sharing toys, that are safe for both ages, then you have a lot to negotiate with. Don't worry, she'll outgrow this soon enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics