Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Decorators: Fifth Ave Hotel did $200M job Traditional style?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 12:24 pm
While many of us are dumping our beautiful high quality traditional furniture, to go "modern" , investors invested $200 million, and chose to go traditional style in a brand new hotel? Why did they choose to go Traditional and not Modern?

250 Fifth Avenue, which has undergone a seven-year, $200 million restoration, will reopen as the brand-new 153-room Fifth Avenue Hotel this summer.

https://www.thefifthavenuehotel.com/gallery/

They chose designer Martin Brudnizki.

https://www.instagram.com/martinbrudnizki/

https://www.vogue.com/article/.....Daily
A suite at The Fifth Avenue Hotel, opening in NoMad this summer.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 12:31 pm
It's not traditional. It's an eclectic blend of styles, a lot of color, definitely some mid century modern and modern touches.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 12:34 pm
Why are you dumping furniture based on fads? Buy and use whatever makes you happy. Seems like a waste of money to chase fads. I have modern furniture because I love the look. But I don’t plan on dumping it just because something else becomes popular.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
It's not traditional. It's an eclectic blend of styles, a lot of color, definitely some mid century modern and modern touches.

Way more traditional a look than most of the trendy decorators are doing now.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Way more traditional a look than most of the trendy decorators are doing now.

A lot of on point accents though, look at the velour couches the bathroom vanity, the greens- all very popular for 2022. Also color.
Sleek, glossy modern is on the way out, 2022 is going to see a lot more color, chevron wood floors, tons and tons of mid century modern.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 12:50 pm
I’m guessing you are the poster posting a lot about mixing traditional snd modern

Personally I’m much more traditional.

But I could see that being a nightmare to dust and keep clean and very impractical.

Why is everyone going modern today?
The same reason everyone wants white kitchens and gray walls and wears their Sheitel blunt or wavy or strict straight. It’s what everyone else is doing.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 12:51 pm

Completely agree - this is what I would call "contemporary eclectic" and doesn't resemble the kind of "traditional" brown furniture that I think OP is claiming is being dumped.

In the picture posted, the chandelier is as far from "traditional" as one could get.

The coffee table is not "traditional" and the chair is what I would call contemporary classic but the upholstery is not traditional.

Do you think this room resembles the kind of old fashioned rooms with brown heavy furniture pieces and upholstered furniture in brocade or some other alter kocker/Bubbe choice?

This is the kind of room that could only be done by a very talented designer because it seamlessly brings together varying styles, textures and colors that complement each other rather than looking like a mishmash.

Most amateur homes are either too safe because people are afraid to make choices or a mishmash thrown together.

ETA - Also consider the color choices. The choice of wall color is bold especially since it contrasts with the orange/coral for much o the furniture. And most of the color choices are not exactly matched and yet work tougher so the end product is a coherent design statement. The rug is geometric and is echoed by the chevron pattern in the chair and fairly echoed in the triangles of the end table.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 12:54 pm
Amarante wrote:
Completely agree - this is what I would call "contemporary eclectic" and doesn't resemble the kind of "traditional" brown furniture that I think OP is claiming is being dumped.

In the picture posted, the chandelier is as far from "traditional" as one could get.

The coffee table is not "traditional" and the chair is what I would call contemporary classic but the upholstery is not traditional.

Do think this room resembles the kind of old fashioned rooms with brown heavy furniture pieces and upholstered furniture in brocade or some other alter kocker choice,

This is the kind of room that could only be done by a very talented designer because it seamlessly brings together varying styles, textures and colors that complement each other rather than looking like a mishmash.

Most amateur homes are either too safe because people are afraid to make choices or a mishmash thrown together.

Yep, perfectly assessed!

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:04 pm
Yep, perfectly assessed!

LOL

I am not a designer nor do I claim to even attempt to impersonate one but I recently did a complete remodel/redecoration working with a great designer.

The end product probably has the same kind of aesthetic as this room as it combines some very vintage stuff - Chinese Deco rug - French Deco chairs; vintage carved chair with channel quilting with very comtemporary elements like the choice of fabrics; coffee table and occasional and dining chairs.

Because of her I was able to make bolder choices that I would have been afraid to make on my own and also obviously saving me from design disasters. My fabrics don't "match" and so there are different patterns. Left on my own I would have been afraid to get fabrics in patterns.

I was a very active "partner" and I learned a lot by asking her why she was suggesting certain choices and how she saw things working in terms of space and shape. Sometimes she would bring several choices and not tell me which one she would suggest and we would analyze them together in terms of shape, size and color. Almost always we agreed and it was great to understand why the choice worked.

When I was looking for sconces for bedroom and bath - for example - she would explain why a certain size - length and width - worked and then I would look at lots of choices on the internet and send the ones that I kind of liked within those parameters.

ETA I also went through my existing furniture and kept only the pieces that I still loved and that worked for me. I got rid of the (literal) Bubbe furniture I had inherited like the massive Victorian china cabinet and buffet and the not really my style English Provincial dining room table with caned chairs I never liked but kept pieces that I had accumulated over the years or inherited like the Chinese Deco armoire from the 1920's or the MCM walnut side chairs and some of the 1940's Waterfall bedroom furniture I had bought second hand as one of my first "adult" furniture purchases.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:15 pm
Is the decor of these rooms, eclectic as well?

https://bunnywilliams.com/poin.....ored/

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:24 pm
This style is definitely trending in the interior landscape. Swathing full color in spaces, mixing traditional and modern elements, the collected feel. It boggles my mind how in the frum world there is such a demand for the cold, sterile, modern esthetic.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Again, this leans towards traditional but is done with a contemporary eye. It is not filled with heavy "brown" furniture that is the kind of furniture that people mean when they say it is not "fashionable".

Because the reality is that no one wants that furniture - it is hard to give away unless someone literally needs furniture. Ask me how I know Smile Even the most expensive authentic pieces that sell for $400,000 for a chest or small table have declined significantly in value.

In terms of the bedroom picture it is traditional of course like the Platonic ideal of an English country bedroom but look carefully - the four poster bed is mirrored as is one of the side tables. The floor is not wood but is an interesting rather contemporary design. The fabrics are traditional but don't match.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:29 pm
I don't know much about design, but I gravitate towards the more modern look because to me it seems neater and cleaner.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I personally wouldn’t call it eclectic but maybe some would. Traditional, new-trad, grandmillennial, granny-chic, collected, etc are definitely the vibe

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:32 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I don't know much about design, but I gravitate towards the more modern look because to me it seems neater and cleaner.

So maybe that’s why the frum community really embraced that look. Our lives are so hectic we just can’t handle any visual clutter.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:46 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
It boggles my mind how in the frum world there is such a demand for the cold, sterile, modern esthetic.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

But the frum world is always a few steps behind the non frum world in fashion and decorating trends.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:59 pm
Honesty if you open up the space with fresh bright walls and clean new moldings that stand out, traditional furniture can look awesome. Reupholster with new prints. Add new box springs. Clean look linens. Contemporary chandeliers and modern paintings that tie it all together. Traditional and up to date.

Bleemee

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 2:10 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
Honesty if you open up the space with fresh bright walls and clean new moldings that stand out, traditional furniture can look awesome. Reupholster with new prints. Add new box springs. Clean look linens. Contemporary chandeliers and modern paintings that tie it all together. Traditional and up to date.
What does adding new box springs do?

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 2:46 pm
Bleemee wrote:
What does adding new box springs do?

Presumably she meant the springs in the old chair. Typically when you reupholster something you have it completely rebuilt except for the original frame. There are generally springs in upholstered furniture but they aren’t called box springs which is a specific type of furniture which is used under some mattresses. Very Happy

FWIW reupholstering furniture is very expensive and really only makes sense if there is something very distinctive about the furniture. When I remodeled I had a vintage chair with carving and I had that reupholstered because it couldn’t be replicated but it made no sense to reupholster a normal sofa since I could get a better one for what it would have cost. However it sometimes makes economic or other sense to have pieces made new and designed by you at the upholsterers because you can get exactly what you want in terms of style, fabric and all the sizes would be exactly what you need.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:33 pm
Amarante wrote:
but it made no sense to reupholster a normal sofa since I could get a better one for what it would have cost.

Youre the Ima expert on furniture!

No way Im going to study different brands or different types of construction.

Any chance you know of specific places, stores in or near NYC, or websites where I can find a tufted back, loose seat cushions, 3 seater sofa (and matching 2 seater loveseat if possible) in a decent choice of fabrics (not leather)?

Again, Im not looking for a lesson on furniture construction. That goes over my head, Im ADD in that one area.

Im looking for names of stores or websites that carry a nice selection of good quality sofas at good prices. Ideally Id like to spend about $5,000 for both Sofa and Loveseat, if possible.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics