Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Decorators: Fifth Ave Hotel did $200M job Traditional style?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:52 pm
Amarante wrote:
LOL

I am not a designer nor do I claim to even attempt to impersonate one but I recently did a complete remodel/redecoration working with a great designer.

The end product probably has the same kind of aesthetic as this room as it combines some very vintage stuff - Chinese Deco rug - French Deco chairs; vintage carved chair with channel quilting with very comtemporary elements like the choice of fabrics; coffee table and occasional and dining chairs.

Because of her I was able to make bolder choices that I would have been afraid to make on my own and also obviously saving me from design disasters. My fabrics don't "match" and so there are different patterns. Left on my own I would have been afraid to get fabrics in patterns.

I was a very active "partner" and I learned a lot by asking her why she was suggesting certain choices and how she saw things working in terms of space and shape. Sometimes she would bring several choices and not tell me which one she would suggest and we would analyze them together in terms of shape, size and color. Almost always we agreed and it was great to understand why the choice worked.

When I was looking for sconces for bedroom and bath - for example - she would explain why a certain size - length and width - worked and then I would look at lots of choices on the internet and send the ones that I kind of liked within those parameters.

ETA I also went through my existing furniture and kept only the pieces that I still loved and that worked for me. I got rid of the (literal) Bubbe furniture I had inherited like the massive Victorian china cabinet and buffet and the not really my style English Provincial dining room table with caned chairs I never liked but kept pieces that I had accumulated over the years or inherited like the Chinese Deco armoire from the 1920's or the MCM walnut side chairs and some of the 1940's Waterfall bedroom furniture I had bought second hand as one of my first "adult" furniture purchases.

How many hours of her time did it take? Did she charge by the hour or the project?

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:02 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
So maybe that’s why the frum community really embraced that look. Our lives are so hectic we just can’t handle any visual clutter.
There are ways to make a room and house look cozy and inviting without looking cluttered. The sterile look is just too much. I think it’s more because everyone does what everyone else does, or what the designers who don’t really have taste themselves does, without asking themselves what they really like, or exploring different styles and looks. I think the first room OP posted is AWESOME.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Youre the Ima expert on furniture!

No way Im going to study different brands or different types of construction.

Any chance you know of specific places, stores in or near NYC, or websites where I can find a tufted back, loose seat cushions, 3 seater sofa (and matching 2 seater loveseat if possible) in a decent choice of fabrics (not leather)?

Again, Im not looking for a lesson on furniture construction. That goes over my head, Im ADD in that one area.

Im looking for names of stores or websites that carry a nice selection of good quality sofas at good prices. Ideally Id like to spend about $5,000 for both Sofa and Loveseat, if possible.

I don't think I really qualify as a maven but I just went through the whole process and picked up stuff along the way so that I could feel that I was making informed decisions.

I might suggest a sofa and two chairs rather than a love seat because many people don't feel comfortable sharing a love seat - not just for modesty - but because it is more comfortable to have your own space and armrests. The chairs don't have to take up more space either visually or physically since there are many "occasional" chairs that aren't mega size.

In terms of suggestions, for nice middle class furniture Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel are good choices. The great thing is that you can go to their website and play around with the styles and fabric so you can be more productive when you go in person.

Most of these stores have "decorators" who can be helpful so calling before hand to see if you need to schedule an appointment is good. Again, to make the most of your appointment you should bring in a to-scale plan of your room - doesn't have to be professional - use graph paper and take measurements. Also take measurements of furniture you are keeping and photos of the room from different angles. If you have seen rooms or styles, you like bring in links or photos of those as well.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
The sterile look is just too much. I think it’s more because everyone does what everyone else does, or what the designers who don’t really have taste themselves does, without asking themselves what they really look, or exploring different styles and looks.

Give it a year or two, the sleek sterile look is very much on its way out. Just look at the kitchen styles coming in for 2022!

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:13 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
How many hours of her time did it take? Did she charge by the hour or the project?

A LOT LOL LOL I started packing up everything in February 2018 - moved back from the rental in November 2018 and am still not finished. Just ordered the coffee table and occasional chairs a few weeks ago after months of agonizing. LOL LOL

My contract was a mixture of payment methods. I was charged a flat fee per square foot for the initial design which was submitted to the City for permits. It was also submitted to the GC so that they could bid a "real" amount and not something pulled from their arse. Smile

It was all on a percentage basis and even though there is a theoretical hourly fee for certain things, she never charged me. She literally helped me move everything back in and organize with the help of my cleaning lady and never charged me for those services. Literally everything from putting my clothing away in an organized manner to helping me decide what to keep and what to toss - and putting the tchotchkes and decorative items where they looked best She and her mother and my cleaning lady would come over and we would go through stuff and just worked through

I didn't pay her any percentage on appliances because I researched those but she was extremely helpful anyway as she introduced me to a sales person at a chain I was planning to use anyway because their prices were the lowest but she helped move things forward when there were minor difficulties without any charge to me.

Even with the 20% commission on new purchases, the cost of stuff was generally far less than I would have paid if I bought on my own because the makeup was charged on the "to the trade" price which is much lower than even "bargain" sales. Also she steered me to sources that were less expensive like my motorized shades are a commercial company not advertised like Hunter Douglas and so are less expensive for good quality.

Here is the payment schedule for the design and project management portions.

Part II: DTI’s services of creating a Design Concept and Project Management for your interiors will be at a percentage over cost. The fee on new purchases will be billed at twenty percent (20%) over all FF&E dealer/designer costs, fifteen percent (15%) over all appliance and fixture costs, and fifteen percent (15%) over all specialty construction (I.e. finished carpentry and custom-designed tile) and ten percent (10%) over all standard construction (I.e.) electrical, framing, drywall, etc.). Also, will be an hourly fee on the space planning and enhancement of existing furniture used on your project on an ‘as needed’ basis. The retainer is two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) and we will credit the retainer towards Part II’s interior design and project management service fees, which will be prorated back to you during the process of your project. These fees will be billed upon purchasing.

ETA - One eerie thing is that my father had died in the Spring of 2017 and I initially met with my designer in Fall 2017 and discussed what kind of styles I liked. I told her I liked Art Deco, Arts & Crafts, Prairie with a smidgeon of Hollywood Regency. LOL She came back with a design board for the kitchen which had a lot of copper - large copper sink; copper tiles in the ceiling; some copper tiles as accents and a copper medallion behind the stove. My father was an apprentice coppersmith as a young kid and I had NEVER told her anything about my father. He didn't work in copper but occasionally he would see a copper object and remark on it. When I am in my kitchen I can feel the copper and think of my father in a nice way. Very Happy

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:21 pm; edited 4 times in total

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
Give it a year or two, the sleek sterile look is very much on its way out. Just look at the kitchen styles coming in for 2022!
Im sure it will. Curious to know what kind of kitchens are coming in?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Youre the Ima expert on furniture!

No way Im going to study different brands or different types of construction.

Any chance you know of specific places, stores in or near NYC, or websites where I can find a tufted back, loose seat cushions, 3 seater sofa (and matching 2 seater loveseat if possible) in a decent choice of fabrics (not leather)?

Again, Im not looking for a lesson on furniture construction. That goes over my head, Im ADD in that one area.

Im looking for names of stores or websites that carry a nice selection of good quality sofas at good prices. Ideally Id like to spend about $5,000 for both Sofa and Loveseat, if possible.

you didnt ask me but I'll offer my experience that I had in Living Quarters (Lakewood branch) its a designer/decorator's fantasy! I furnished my home by them with some really unique pieces. worth the trip from anywhere. they were really helpful. You dont have to go with an interior designer

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:22 pm
Im sure it will. Curious to know what kind of kitchens are coming in?

Herringbone wood floors, bold colors making a huge comeback (lots of shades of green and still some blue), pops of wallpaper, mix and match, lots of wood, metallic detailing, walnut, bespoke cabinetry, artisan lighting, https://www.homesandgardens.co.....02526

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Way more traditional a look than most of the trendy decorators are doing now.

My SIL just put in a traditional kitchen for $85k and is redoing all of her walls.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:57 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
My SIL just put in a traditional kitchen for $85k and is redoing all of her walls.
Traditional traditional or traditional with a twist?

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:58 pm
Traditional traditional or traditional with a twist?

Traditional traditional. But she doesn't go for the styles. She does what she likes.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 5:42 pm
doing a dark dramatic kitchen , and soooo anxious (and excited) about it.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 5:48 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
doing a dark dramatic kitchen , and soooo anxious (and excited) about it.

Cool!
Is there a lot of natural light in the kitchen? I think the dark look is very cool for kitchen, just worry about it being TOO dark.

thepickled

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 5:52 pm
The type of traditional style that hotel is redone in never went out of style, but it has to be really well done by a designer with a hand on the pulse to look rich and current. It has some clean lines, modern shapes, and complex color and pattern mixing that are definitely of the moment. However that style isn’t “mainstream” anymore so it’s not what lower commercial lines are selling, and it’s therefore harder to achieve on a lower budget. So you only really see it in very high end projects. Sleek modern interiors are more accessible and a dime a dozen lately.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:08 pm
Cool!
Is there a lot of natural light in the kitchen? I think the dark look is very cool for kitchen, just worry about it being TOO dark.

plenty of natural light, and the floor will be lighter. I haven't decided on countertops yet.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:16 pm
thepickled wrote:
The type of traditional style that hotel is redone in never went out of style, but it has to be really well done by a designer with a hand on the pulse to look rich and current. It has some clean lines, modern shapes, and complex color and pattern mixing that are definitely of the moment. However that style isn’t “mainstream” anymore so it’s not what lower commercial lines are selling, and it’s therefore harder to achieve on a lower budget. So you only really see it in very high end projects. Sleek modern interiors are more accessible and a dime a dozen lately.

Exactly. This look is more expensive.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:22 pm
Herringbone wood floors, bold colors making a huge comeback (lots of shades of green and still some blue), pops of wallpaper, mix and match, lots of wood, metallic detailing, walnut, bespoke cabinetry, artisan lighting, https://www.homesandgardens.co.....02526

Some of these styles are so painful. Like the return of sink skirt. And green is so jarring. I love blue and grey ugh lol.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:27 pm
I happen to like traditional. But I like very clean looks.
I was happy when modern came into style because it's so much cheaper!
Ikea is simple modern and oh so cheap.
But I hate when things are cold looking and I also hate clutter.
But it's very expensive to have a properly balanced traditional design in your house.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:39 pm
Bleemee wrote:
What does adding new box springs do?

The newer box springs have a very tailored look and no skirts are needed.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:49 pm
Just look at the kitchen styles coming in for 2022!

I dont see anything pretty here, and much of what I see only works in large kitchens (walk in pantry):

https://www.bhg.com/kitchen/re.....ends/

Can you please post links?

tia
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics