Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What do your kids eat?

yehudis

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 5:18 pm
My daughter used to eat everything, but since she started school, she's gotten picky. They are not allowed to share lunches in school, but I guess she figured out that other kids eat different foods, or that you don't have to eat everrything your Mommy gives you. Or maybe they just get too many candies Exploding anger

Anyway, so what do other kids eat? Any recipe ideas?

SK

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 7:45 pm
how old is your daughter?
My 5 and 6 yr olds were at fisrt excited witheir new lunch boxes and snacks and ate everything. Then they also got smart and starting bringing almost all their food back home.
So I decided to get them involved in the process...
On days when we eat lunch at home (sundays etc) when I see them enjoying their lunch I ask them if they would like to have that kind of sandwich or whatever at school
I ask them each night or morning what they would like in their lunch boxes. They need to choose 2 veggies and 1 fruit and then a choice of pasta or wholewheat sandwiches. Their favorite is bread with ketchup and melted cheese.
Snacks - Small Yogurts, little apple sauces, pretzels, granola bars,water bottle etc.
This seems to be working - when they open up in school everything is what THEY chose, and now they finish everything up even though it's exactly the same type of food that I gave them before.

Every now and then I will throw in a juice box or a treat so they don't feel deprived (that all the other kids have juice everyday and nosh etc in their lunches) and I also explain that its better to have growing food etc..It helps if the teachers support you on this one, and ask the kids to take out their healthy snacks first etc..
Also asked them what other kids eat that they wanted, and if it wasnt too healthy we tried thinking of similar alternatives.

yehudis

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 9:07 pm
My daughter is 4. Thanks, SK. It does help when we prepare the lunch together. I should do it more often.

But even at home, she's gotten much more picky, not only with her lunches. She doesn't want regular dinner which she ate before.

tzivi

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 12:12 am
I think most children go through picky stages. One week, my three year won't eat cereal, another week, my toddler has decided he doesn't eat bread and yet another week another child refuses to eat fruit. I just go with the flow and try not to pressure any of my children to eat. When they are hungry, they will eat.

tzivi

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 12:14 am
The funniest thing is when one child won't eat fleish and another won't eat potatoes or pasta and each child eats whatever he wants and then swaps plates with the child next to him~! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics