Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I guess I forgot

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 2:46 pm
My baby is 15 months old. My next oldest is 7.
My older kids I was working outside of the home and they went to daycare during the day.
This is my first time being home with my baby and I have no idea what to do with him.
He seems to be slightly delayed (I got him tested recently and he didn't qualify for anything) but I'm also forgetting what to do with a baby at this age.
He doesn't really play with anything for any extended amount of time. He likes to dump toy buckets out and touch the different things but he doesn't actually play with any toys, even if I sit with him and do it. He looks at books for a few minutes. I don't know. I hate to say this but I've come to dread the daytime. He wants to be held a lot or for me to play with him but he doesn't play.
I also have things I need to do I can't sit on the floor with him for hours at a time.
It's too cold now where I live to take walks or go to the park. He also doesn't walk yet so the park is just the swings.
Any ideas for me?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 2:50 pm
Exact same age baby. Mine is in daycare thank GD! I mean I do work full time but I would have no does what to do all day with him. I feel you momma

behappy2

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 2:51 pm
I haven't had a baby that age in a while too but here's some things I can think of:

Peek a boo

Intsy winsy spider

Rolling a ball back and forth

Play tag

Read a book

Mostly just have a back and forth that is engaging for both of you.

You don't have to play all day.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:04 pm
behappy2 wrote:
I haven't had a baby that age in a while too but here's some things I can think of:

Peek a boo

Intsy winsy spider

Rolling a ball back and forth

Play tag

Read a book

Mostly just have a back and forth that is engaging for both of you.

You don't have to play all day.

Right those things are for a few minutes. Then what?
He doesn't play independently

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:08 pm
Sounds normal for that age. What happens if you carry on with your regular tidying/cooking etc? Is he content to just toddle around and watch? Last year when mine was that age he loved emptying my kitchen cupboard, filling up boxes with my spoons, bowls etc and repeating. He liked exploring and investigating.
But it's a really hard age when they're little.

amother
Steelblue

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:09 pm
Let him dump toys, that's his playing. Put out toys and some housewares on a shelf and let him do his thing.

sequoia

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:12 pm
It’s never too cold to go out. Babies/toddlers need at least an hour of fresh air every day. They sleep better out of doors too.

Rubies

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:16 pm
sequoia wrote:
It’s never too cold to go out. Babies/toddlers need at least an hour of fresh air every day. They sleep better out of doors too.

This. It also breaks up your day and provides structure.

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:24 pm
All of it sounds completely normal. My babies stay home with me till age 3>
I don’t play with babies other than a few minutes of peekaboo etc.
Our day at that age looked something like this:

Get dressed/do some tickling sensory brushing etc
Eat breakfast
Say modeh ani and shema
Do some laundry together
Take a nap
Go to the corner grocery to get some stuff, or just a walk around the block.
Make dinner together
And then the other kids were home.

I would let them dump out one box of toys at a time. I also did music time and reading time, both independent.

You can google for Montessori ideas to get some guidance on how to set things up so your baby is mostly independent. You don’t have to go crazy with it, a little station of things they can do is perfect.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:57 pm
I do let him dump stuff out but he doesn't go around exploring, I can't explain.
He also refuses to sleep in the stroller. He has never, he just gets tired and screams.

happytobemom

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 7:12 pm
Let him "help" with whatever you're doing. Laundry- let him transfer from basket to basket, or hand you things to fold, or pour detergent into the machine. Cooking- let him "peal" veggies, (my oldest loved peeling garlic!), put things in and out of pots, give him a big wooden spoon to bang in and on a pot. Cleaning- give him a broom, a shmatta, a spray bottle with a bit of water. He will slow down your chores, but hopefully you'll get things somewhat done and he'll be occupied.
Errands are great - kids love to sit in the shopping cart. Grocery, Target, Walmart...

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 7:33 pm
Its a really hard age because they're big enough to want to be entertained but still little so they don't engage in anything for more than a few min.

I play with them in few minute bursts and the rest of the time they either 'play'=make a mess on their own or they 'help' me with my chores which is usually a big pain.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 7:38 pm
happytobemom wrote:
Let him "help" with whatever you're doing. Laundry- let him transfer from basket to basket, or hand you things to fold, or pour detergent into the machine. Cooking- let him "peal" veggies, (my oldest loved peeling garlic!), put things in and out of pots, give him a big wooden spoon to bang in and on a pot. Cleaning- give him a broom, a shmatta, a spray bottle with a bit of water. He will slow down your chores, but hopefully you'll get things somewhat done and he'll be occupied.
Errands are great - kids love to sit in the shopping cart. Grocery, Target, Walmart...

He's 15 months. He can't do any of those things.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 7:54 pm
They usually take one long big nap. Morning I do errands. Come home give them nap. Do the things I need to do. Wake up from nap feed lunch. Spend time together. Sit on the floor with them when they explore. Read a book. Go on phone. Be present but you can do things you need to do.
Smile at them. Talk To them. Put music on.
That's a good day in my book

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 7:56 pm
It may be worth sending him out a few hours a week.
Especially if you think he's delayed, the social interaction with peers his age can be a very positive experience for him

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:13 pm
get him involved in whatever you do- sit him on the counter and chatter while he watches you work. describe what you are doing. run errands. read books. roll balls. build towers and let him knock them down. turn on the sink and let him splash. let him watch you play- you are role playing for him. bang on a pot with a spoon. turn on music and run around the room together. there are mommy and me exercise tutorials where you use the child as the weight- I try mainly to go about my own daily schedule but involve the baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics