Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
NY-area communities- can't drive
Previous  1  2

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:24 am
Many years ago my sister lived in Teaneck and I would visit her there. She lived walking distance from the shops. Not sure about schools though.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:28 am
KGH fits much of your criteria, and while many young families move out, there are many others that stay, but it's not walkable to either of the girls schools, and is only walkable to the more yeshivish boys school. (You'd probably be happier with the boys school in Kew Gardens.) Kew Gardens is walkable to both a boys school and a girls school, with better public transportation to Manhattan than KGH, but it's more yeshivish than KGH, and has less young people (though there are some). Though it's a much warmer and close-knit community than KGH due to its smaller size. Another problem with KG is that it doesn't have a women's mikvah open during the week; only on Shabbos and Yom Tov.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:28 am
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
Tge few people I know in Passaic walk to school. Is that not an option in some areas?

Having all your kids walk is not typical maybe bigger kids but not preschool unless you’re really close. Especially those who send to Ykp the boys and girls schools are far from each other and the cheder is really outside the neighborhood.
I would assume OP would send to YBH which has boys and girls in the same building so it could be an option if you move close to there but that limits choosing an area based on a school rather than a neighborhood that would fit your family best. It’s not so close to supermarkets but technically walkable. YBH is also right near the train so that would also help.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:30 am
KGH

FYI, I grew up in Riverdale and my mom didn’t drive.
School bus to school,
Shopped local and walked.
Occasional cab if she needed to pick me up from school.
My dad drove so many things were done on Sunday.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:41 am
We're really happy in highland Park. The more modern school is walkable to parts of town, just limits selection. The right wing school has the preschool very local and has busses to the elementary schools. There's a walkable stop and shop and kosher market in town.
Not super materialistic. Nice welcoming people. Relatively affordable. About an hour train ride to NYC

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:50 am
What about Flatbush? It’s definitely diverse enough, walkable, close to midtown, the Flatbushy people all moved to Lakewood and 5 towns lol
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating