Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Shopping Bags!

notna

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 4:51 pm
How/where do you keep plastic shopping bags? It seems that we either have none or they're all over the place. I tried the dispenser type thing that hang on the wall, but the kids yank on the bags and the whole thing kept coming down.
What do you do if you have too many bags? Throw them out? Maybe I can send some to those of you who live in a place where they banned plastic bags...

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 4:53 pm
I have 2 deep woven baskets in the laundry room. One for folded rags. And one for folded shopping bags.

mfb

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:03 pm
We use the dispenser on the inside of a bottom cabinet door. Never had it come off. It’s probably there 10 years or more

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:05 pm
I use command strip hooks to hang up dispenser

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:19 pm
Mount your dispenser higher up so the kids can't reach it. Screw the unit into a stud, not into the plaster, and use a wall anchor if need be, and it should stay put even when yanked.

Before my municipality banned plastic shopping bags , I did throw out bags when my pile got too big, until I discovered the recycling bins at places like Rite Aid and my supermarket. I used a wall-mounted dispenser, folded the bags in fourths lengthwise, then wrapped the strip around my fingers to form a small squarish packet that I put into the dispenser. I did not just cram a crumpled bag into the unit, leaving an enticing flag sticking out.

If you have no other way to use up your excess bags, use them to isolate grody garbage. Put your carrot peels, eggshells and chicken bones, as well as disposable diapers and feminine hygiene supplies if you use them, in a plastic bag and tie a good knot before you throw it all in your trash can. You may be able to defer taking the trash out for a while because the plastic bag will trap the odors for a little bit. Not long, but it could save you a midnight run to the big garbage can.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:23 pm
If you have more bags than you can use, Google "plarn knitting." You cut plastic bags into strips and use it like yarn to knit things like tote bags and baskets. Just don't use it for rugs (too slippery) or clothing (too uncomfortable).

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 1:41 am
I live in one of those places where you have to buy plastic bags.
You can get (or make) a bag dispenser out of old cloth.... elastic at the top and bottom. (Make a seam at the top and bottom of a rectangle, thread elastic through both seams. And sew up remaining side.) Or you can buy a nice looking one- havent found any locally so I just made a quick one. Hang on a command hook.
I also use them for trash liners, diaper pails, lunch bags...
I keep a bag of bags in my car for those last minute trips. Because buying bags each time is ridiculous. I hate the tax. People still buy and toss them out. I think it is also pretty wasteful still because as a trash liner I am still using it only 1 more time and it's thicker plastic and more waste per liner! (I reused the old ones too.)

Now, anyone have a solution for cloth bags and how to store? No laundry room here to have baskets for clean ones and dirty ones.

momof2+?

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 1:45 am
I could have written your post op. Currently have two stuffed shopping bags full of bags that are extra. Behind the door of my pantry. I think I should just throw them out.

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 7:24 am
Honeydew:
1. fold up all the bags but one, and store them in that bag. Hang the bag of bags (is that like the Song of Songs?) on a hook in a closet or on your entryway coat rack.
2. fold them flat and stack them on a shelf
3. or fold them a few more times and “file” them in a box or in a drawer, Marie Kondo style.
4. Take an empty shipping carton or very large shoe box like from men’s boots, larger if you have many bags. Tape shut. Cut a long oval hole in the top or side of the box so it resembles a tissue box. Stuff folded bags inside and dispense one by one.

If you want to store the box upright, cut the hole in the narrow side. If you will store it flat, cut the hole in the top.

5. If you have many more bags than you usually use, calculate how many you’re likely to use and give away the rest. Or store your usual number as above, and put the rest in a box (dispenser-style or not) in a remote closet.

notna

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 8:23 am
Thanks for the ideas. I might need to try the dispenser again. folding the bags instead of just stuffing them in is interesting, how much time does that take?
But, zaq, no, just, no, I do not have time to start weaving the bags into rugs, lol.
I will look out for a place to recycle them though, then I won't feel so bad about dumping them.
Thanks.

happy12

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 8:40 am
I have a shoe organizer on the inside of the broom closet door. I fold the bags and put a few into each pocket.

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 8:55 am
I donate mine to my local kosher food pantry. I keep a few for myself and the rest I give away.

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 9:43 am
I used to donate bags to the food pantry, but then they said that the laws changed and they are allowed to use only brand new bags. This may be true, as the rules here for food pantries are extensive, or they may just be saying that because some idiots gave them dirty or torn bags.

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 9:51 am
notna wrote:
Thanks for the ideas. I might need to try the dispenser again. folding the bags instead of just stuffing them in is interesting, how much time does that take?
But, zaq, no, just, no, I do not have time to start weaving the bags into rugs, lol.
I will look out for a place to recycle them though, then I won't feel so bad about dumping them.
Thanks.

Well, if you were to fold 100 bags, that would take some time, but folding a dozen bags or so from a shopping trip? It's just a few seconds per bag. You spend more time trying to cram crumpled bags into the dispenser and again when you struggle to pull them out.

A coworker of mine used to fold her bags into origami triangles, with a little pocket to tuck the end in so the whole thing held together and could even be tossed around and stay folded. I tried that a few times but decided that such precision was unnecessary.

I would have tried the plarn thing but cutting up all those bags was a real chore. Needless to say, that was long before a bag ban was even a gleam in anyone's eye.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics