Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn cold

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 3:28 pm
My newborn is congested with a runny nose and keeps on choking on the mucus in his throat. What can I do to help his breathing?

amother
Crocus

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 4:11 pm
I would call a doctor right away for a newborn

Newmami

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 5:38 pm
1. Call your doctor

2. The steam from a warm bath might help. Don't put your baby on the water. Just let the hot water run and close the door so the steam stays inside. It helps loosen the muscus.
3. Putting eucalyptus cream on the chest helps as well. ( I know it sounds weird but 2 doctors and my pharmacist told me to use it.) It does help.

Hatslocho

amother
Daisy

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 6:34 pm
Newmami wrote:
1. Call your doctor

2. The steam from a warm bath might help. Don't put your baby on the water. Just let the hot water run and close the door so the steam stays inside. It helps loosen the muscus.
3. Putting eucalyptus cream on the chest helps as well. ( I know it sounds weird but 2 doctors and my pharmacist told me to use it.) It does help.

Hatslocho

I would ask about the eucalyptus cream at that age before trying.

Also, suctioning mucus out with a bulb sucker or nose Frieda helps.

#ibelieve

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:56 pm
Definitely see your doctor. Is he breathing okay? Look by his chest if he’s retracting and by his neck and stomach if he’s pulling. See if his head is ‘bobbing’ when he breaths, nostrils opening… if he looks like he’s working to breath maybe call the doctors emergency line and ask what to do.
But first try getting rid of congestion put him on his side with a towel under him and squirt saline into one nostril a lot and fast and then strain with a bulb. He won’t like it but hopefully will help him clear up. You can also put him in the bathroom with the shower running on hot for a few min but DO NOT LEAVE HIM ALONE. And put him to sleep with a humidifier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics