Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this chicken pox or something else?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:00 am
Just have to update we started with the calamine lotion... She says she feels a lot better! In case anyone is worried I am going to maker her wait till night till we try it. I tried a few spots (she was afraid it would make things feel worse, so I said we'll try just a few to start with) and I got called back "All the other spots are getting jealous!" LOL

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:11 am
Chlorophyll dry them up really well and quick. Though she’ll need to wear underwear & a dress you don’t care to turn green. And use and old towel or spread a chucks or disposable tablecloth when shmearing.

And please please tell the school. If there’s even one family with an immunocompromised child and they’ll now be aware it’s worth it...

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:28 am
I don't see purpose in telling school . She's not going back till she's not contagious. If she already exposed others, whta's the point in telling? It's not like they can now know to be careful. It's over. They'll just get mad at you.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone!

My child is 8. Kinda discouraging to hear that my other kids may NOT get it from her! I WANT them to!

Yes your other children will get them. It's so contagious. That other amother had a strange situation. It's so contagious if someone walks into your entry of your home and is not immune, they will get them.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:32 am
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
Yes your other children will get them. It's so contagious. That other amother had a strange situation. It's so contagious if someone walks into your entry of your home and is not immune, they will get them.

This is not true. You really have to be in close contact. I know those who tried several times to get their kids chicken pox and they couldn't catch it. Sibling exposure is prolonged and they almost always get it 10 - 14 days later. It may go in waves tho with not all siblings getting it in 2 weeks. Some may get the following 2 weeks so it can be a month long ordeal. But its 1 and done!

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:37 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I don't see purpose in telling school . She's not going back till she's not contagious. If she already exposed others, whta's the point in telling? It's not like they can now know to be careful. It's over. They'll just get mad at you.

They can be careful themselves until they know what it is, and limit the spread.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:41 am
why would you want other kids to get chicken pox?? is it better than getting the vaccine? not bashing, im clueless (I have no kids yet)

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:42 am
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
This is not true. You really have to be in close contact. I know those who tried several times to get their kids chicken pox and they couldn't catch it. Sibling exposure is prolonged and they almost always get it 10 - 14 days later. It may go in waves tho with not all siblings getting it in 2 weeks. Some may get the following 2 weeks so it can be a month long ordeal. But its 1 and done!

Chicken pox is airborne. It's one of the most contagious viruses in existence, not quite as contagious as measles. If someone tried it must have been after the person was no longer contagious. Most contagious just before they come out. OPs others children will most likely get it. Siblings can get it 2-3 weeks later.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:42 am
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
why would you want other kids to get chicken pox?? is it better than getting the vaccine? not bashing, im clueless (I have no kids yet)

Depends who you ask. I say vaccine is better but that's not the point of this thread.

I vaccinate because I myself had a terrible case of chicken pox and my children who caught chicken pox before being vaccinated were so sick. 3 weeks of pox all over, inside the eyelid, down the throat, in the privates, it was horrible but I know others have a different experience. Although my pediatrician says such a case was standard before the vaccine. Since so few children get it these days, there are less cases.

Anyway OP - make sure your child has her hands in gloves she shouldn't be able to scratch anything.

kenz

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:51 am
Chicken pox is airborne. It's one of the most contagious viruses in existence, not quite as contagious as measles. If someone tried it must have been after the person was no longer contagious. Most contagious just before they come out. OPs others children will most likely get it. Siblings can get it 2-3 weeks later.

When I was a kid my younger brother had children pox and my older brother and I didn’t get it till years later, and we had been just as exposed when the younger one had it. Actually more, because he was a little boy and not keeping separate at all. And I know of several similar situations. I know people who had kids sleep in the same bed as infected siblings and still didn’t catch it.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:53 am
kenz wrote:
When I was a kid my younger brother had children pox and my older brother and I didn’t get it till years later, and we had been just as exposed when the younger one had it. Actually more, because he was a little boy and not keeping separate at all. And I know of several similar situations. I know people who had kids sleep in the same bed as infected siblings and still didn’t catch it.

And this is the exception and not the norm. I know people who caught it by walking into an entryway and if you read up on it you will see. So op should not expect to be an exception.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:54 am

This can't be true. As a kid my mother (who gave us every shot) made us suck lollipops of sick kids. And I know several people who tried to share germs from chickenpox kids and they didn't catch it.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:57 am
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
This can't be true. As a kid my mother (who gave us every shot) made us suck lollipops of sick kids. And I know several people who tried to share germs from chickenpox kids and they didn't catch it.

This is true (speak to your doctor or read medical journals) and lollipops is really a ridiculously dumb way to try and catch chicken pox since it is not necessary. Lollipops were usually given for mono.
Chicken pox you need to just be in the room with someone who has it and not be immune during a time when they are contagious. I have aunts who don't give any vaccinations. All of their children get chicken pox but sitting in a kitchen for 10 minutes the first day one of them got pox. Their doctor told them to do and it's easy and fast. Anyway, the lollipop also doesn't work if it's day 5 of the person's chicken pox lol.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:02 am
amother [ MedScape ] wrote:
Chickenpox is usually acquired by the inhalation of airborne respiratory droplets from an infected host. The highly contagious nature of varicella-zoster virus (VZV) underlies the epidemics that spread quickly through schools.

amother [ CDC ] wrote:
Chickenpox is a highly contagious disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV). The virus spreads easily from people with chickenpox to others who have never had the disease or never been vaccinated. If one person has it, up to 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected. The virus spreads mainly through close contact with someone who has chickenpox.

amother [ CDC ] wrote:
Varicella is highly contagious. The virus can be spread from person to person by direct contact, inhalation of aerosols from vesicular fluid of skin lesions of acute varicella or zoster, and possibly through infected respiratory secretions that also may be aerosolized. 

amother [ NY DOH ] wrote:
Chickenpox is transmitted from person to person by directly touching the blisters, saliva or mucus of an infected person. The virus can also be transmitted through the air by coughing and sneezing. Chickenpox can be spread indirectly by touching contaminated items freshly soiled, such as clothing, from an infected person. Direct contact with the blisters of a person with shingles can cause chickenpox in a person who has never had chickenpox and has not been vaccinated.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:11 am
This is true (speak to your doctor or read medical journals) and lollipops is really a ridiculously dumb way to try and catch chicken pox since it is not necessary. Lollipops were usually given for mono.

Why would someone want their kids to catch mono??

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:15 am
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Why would someone want their kids to catch mono??

Most children with mono just have mild cold symptoms or asymptomatic cases and immunity for life. It used to be popular to have children share saliva with a child who has symptomatic mono. Lower risk than chicken pox for children.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:21 am
I presume the school knows by now that you are not vaccinated? If they have any sort of basic record keeping then it’s no secret.
I would let them know once you have it confirmed by a doctor.
I know quite a few people, including myself, who were vaccinated as kids but it waned and caught it as an adult (when it can be dangerous in pregnancy). I would want to know about direct exposure

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:32 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I presume the school knows by now that you are not vaccinated? If they have any sort of basic record keeping then it’s no secret.
I would let them know once you have it confirmed by a doctor.
I know quite a few people, including myself, who were vaccinated as kids but it waned and caught it as an adult (when it can be dangerous in pregnancy). I would want to know about direct exposure

This

But even having wild chicken pox usually results in lifelong immunity till your older and have waning tcell function which causes reactivating or shingles. And having the wild virus in a child less then a year old will not always mount a vigorous immune response with long lasting immunity.

So if you choose not to vaccinate your kids keep in mind their age and the likelihood of getting shingles in older age.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 12:09 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
This

But even having wild chicken pox usually results in lifelong immunity till your older and have waning tcell function which causes reactivating or shingles. And having the wild virus in a child less then a year old will not always mount a vigorous immune response with long lasting immunity.

So if you choose not to vaccinate your kids keep in mind their age and the likelihood of getting shingles in older age.

Vaccinated children are getting shingles at younger ages because the immunity isn't as strong as natural immunity. The vaccine in no way prevents shingles at any age. Once the virus is in the body, you can get shingles

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 12:18 pm
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
Vaccinated children are getting shingles at younger ages because the immunity isn't as strong as natural immunity. The vaccine in no way prevents shingles at any age. Once the virus is in the body, you can get shingles
And because they aren’t being exposed to active chicken pox , which historically acted as a natural booster for titers.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics