Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Changing high schools

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 9:45 am
I know this is a long shot, but I would really like to try....

My 10th grade daughter isnt happy in her current school. I have seriously looked into it and it's an issue that there is nothing anyone can do to change. Is there any school that would consider accepting/has roomfor a student changing from another school for 11th grade?

Anyone else been in this situation in Lakewood and if so what have you done to help your daughter?

oneofakind

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 9:50 am
If your daughter needs it, you should definitely try. Speaking from my own experience, It doesn't matter what other people's experiences were or what they say is possible or not. If you have any "pull", now is the time to use it.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 9:57 am
I did, different grade though.

It was very difficult and not a given at all that it would work out, and close to a nes that another school accepted my daughter after almost 3 months of sitting at home (a different kid from her grade ended up going out of town after 6 months, another one was still at home after 3 months; and a bunch more tried to switch while still going to school).

Schools responses ranged from respectful but firmly reluctant, to not caring, to disrespectful, to hurtful, to nasty.
It was either due to legitimate lack of space, or not caring shout the kid, or loads of politics between schools, whether to preserve status quo, reputation, or to protect another schools “business.”

What helped in the end was that lots of friends rallied for my dd until one school gave up and gave in.

It might be a case that for 10th grade class sizes in schools that interest you are workable - find out about each particular school. Some places have one grade fully packed, and another grade with some room.

Good luck!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 9:59 am
Another word of caution, if there is a problem with that particular school you may want to start acting sooner than later- more chance someone will take one kid than when your daughter may be one of 5 or ten kids trying to switch out of the same school.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:10 am
If you're trying to move from a "more prestigious school" to a "less prestigious school" it may be a bit easier.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 11:08 am
Thanks all for your responses!

Are there any specific schools that anyone knows of that may have some room? I really can't think of anyone that I can ask to provide any pull.

I am not looking for a prestigious school. I am looking for a school that she will be able to have friends in and that will be okay with her not being a student who is getting 100s.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 11:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all for your responses!

Are there any specific schools that anyone knows of that may have some room? I really can't think of anyone that I can ask to provide any pull.

I am not looking for a prestigious school. I am looking for a school that she will be able to have friends in and that will be okay with her not being a student who is getting 100s.

There are about 10 schools in town; re friends what crowd would she fit into?

Re pull: how did you get her into her current school? Ask any and all friends and neighbors if they know anyone and can call for you.

Eta: you should make sure your story sounds good, not to come across as a potential burden case, that your going from strength to strength so to speak, and that you’re responsibly looking for a diff school because her current one objectively cannot work for her (not because you’re a difficult parent, she has issues, or school is bad —even if it is bad, you can’t exactly badmouth it; keep stressing it’s not the right fit or whatever your reason is)

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 3:24 pm
I know that my girls in BK got transfers into their grade from other schools. One year, rumor had it (heard from accurate source) that 10 girls wanted to transfer in. They took the daughters of their alumnus. The transferees did very well B"H.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:07 pm
In which schools does she have friends?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries