Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Drawers or shelves for kids closet?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:49 pm
I’m doing a custom closet for a small space in my kid’s room. which one do you find more useful to put in, drawers or shelves? There’s room for 4 drawers under the hanging rod.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:54 pm
Drawers. 100%

newyorkmom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:56 pm
I like shelves , you can stack sweaters/tshirts, shoes or even storage bins. More versatile

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:58 pm
I did drawers. It's prettier. But it's definitely a big waste of space. In my small closets I did shelves only, and I'm happy I did. You can do bins for underwear.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:01 pm
amother [ Blueberry ] wrote:
I did drawers. It's prettier. But it's definitely a big waste of space. In my small closets I did shelves only, and I'm happy I did. You can do bins for underwear.

Why is it a waste of space?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:18 pm
Find small narrow drawers from ikea that fit the space. They are a game changer in terms of organization. No bins, no dividers. Just neat small drawers, one for each category (and some deeper ones file folded stacks of sweaters and such).

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:34 pm
Shelves are really hard for kids to keep neat. If a drawer is a mess, it doesn't show. The only advantage of shelves vs drawers is that you can see at a glace what you have--IF it's neat. But if you fill a drawer the Marie Kondo way with items "filed" vertically you can also see everything at a glance, one drawer at a time.

dena613

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:35 pm
Drawers. Looks neater, easier to separate items and organize

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:36 pm
Shelves. Use bins to keep the small items neat. This way you have more options.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:04 pm
shelves are better for 2.5 ft and above.

drawers are better for below 2.5 feet.

boat

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:08 pm
Drawers if you can afford it monetarily and space wise. They are not cheap.

Leave some open shelves though.

SingALong

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:34 pm
I love draws. Did about 4 in the center of each of my kids closets. Then had hanging on the sides. Can you do that?

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 6:19 pm
zaq wrote:
Shelves are really hard for kids to keep neat. If a drawer is a mess, it doesn't show. The only advantage of shelves vs drawers is that you can see at a glace what you have--IF it's neat. But if you fill a drawer the Marie Kondo way with items "filed" vertically you can also see everything at a glance, one drawer at a time.

I agree with Zaq that drawers are much better for not showing a mess. I love being able to throw the clothes into the drawer rather than neatly fold. And for the kid to come along and tip over the whole pile when looking for something to wear.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:42 pm
It’s a small space. I don’t have room for hanging on the side, just on top. (Little kids). So that’s why I can’t do too many drawers or shelves because it’s under the hanging. I think I’ll do drawers for the underwear/socks/pjs. Deciding if tops/sweaters and pants are better in drawers or shelves.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 11:07 pm
The neatest is when all clothes are hanging and smaller items in drawers. Easiest to maintain.

pause

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 11:09 pm
I prefer shelves for sweaters, tops, pants.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 11:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The neatest is when all clothes are hanging and smaller items in drawers. Easiest to maintain.

You hang kids tee shirts and sweaters?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 11:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You hang kids tee shirts and sweaters?

Yes. I hang them to dry already, so it actually saves a step and keeps things neat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics