Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What do you fill up in dd 16 yo application camp stuff

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:11 pm
What do you write as hobbies and references etc, DD is exceptionally social and talented and loves children and babysits and worked in day camps. She is my oldest. TIA

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you write as hobbies and references etc, DD is exceptionally social and talented and loves children and babysits and worked in day camps. She is my oldest. TIA

Whatever her hobbies are whomever her references are.
Does she like to read, sing, dance, bake, crafts, etc?
List a teacher or principle or family friend, someone she babysits for.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:14 pm
References a teacher, someone she worked for in camp, someone she babysat for

hobbies list her hobbies whatever they are

Write all the things she's done like work in camp and babysit and other things she's done with children

scruffy

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:15 pm
If your dd is 16 she should be filling out her camp application herself (though you can guide her if she needs help.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:33 pm
scruffy wrote:
If your dd is 16 she should be filling out her camp application herself (though you can guide her if she needs help.)

She started and got stuck. She said her friend’s mothers fill it out for them. We are doing it together. I’m a bt and trying to figure it out.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:34 pm
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
References a teacher, someone she worked for in camp, someone she babysat for

hobbies list her hobbies whatever they are

Write all the things she's done like work in camp and babysit and other things she's done with children

She worked for few camps over the years and babysits for a lot of people.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She worked for few camps over the years and babysits for a lot of people.

We wrote schmoozing, singing, and socializing for DD's hobbies.
We gave one school principal and a former camp director as references.
She doesn't babysit but if she'd interacted with other people's children I'd have thrown one in as a reference, too.

If it's the first time in this camp they might call the references. Otherwise they're not giving it a glance.

Edit: Just call the references and nicely ask if you can put them down. Ask which telephone number they'd prefer for you to write. Personally, I tell anyone to put my cell number down. Calling them is a courtesy and this way they're not caught by surprise.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:45 pm
I don't think they pay much attention to this stuff, don't sweat it.

What does she do on Shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:47 pm
groisamomma wrote:
We wrote schmoozing, singing, and socializing for DD's hobbies.
We gave one school principal and a former camp director as references.
She doesn't babysit but if she'd interacted with other people's children I'd have thrown one in as a reference, too.

If it's the first time in this camp they might call the references. Otherwise they're not giving it a glance.

Edit: Just call the references and nicely ask if you can put them down. Ask which telephone number they'd prefer for you to write. Personally, I tell anyone to put my cell number down. Calling them is a courtesy and this way they're not caught by surprise.

She worked in three backyard camps and babysits a lot but one or two during the day so she interacts with the children more. Everyone loves her but I can’t put all of them. It’s the first time to work at a sleep away camp though.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:03 pm
imasinger wrote:
I don't think they pay much attention to this stuff, don't sweat it.

What does she do on Shabbos?

Every shabbos she gets together with a group of friends after lunch until motze shabbos

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Whatever her hobbies are whomever her references are.
Does she like to read, sing, dance, bake, crafts, etc?
List a teacher or principle or family friend, someone she babysits for.

Do you ask for the principal cell or you give his home number or the school number?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you ask for the principal cell or you give his home number or the school number?

Email and ask you can put him down as a reference, and what number you should list.
If you don't have time, put down the school's number but better if he's prepared.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:34 pm
I do the hiring for a camp. You’re overthinking this. The only thing I want to stress is to please not write down a relative or peer (of your daughter) as a reference. Just write the 2-3 people who are willing to be put down, who know her in a professional capacity (ie how responsible, hard working, good with kids she is) and who will sing her praises the most compellingly.

Sports and hobbies are barely glanced at, write whatever you can think of and don’t give it a second thought 😁

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:43 pm
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
I do the hiring for a camp. You’re overthinking this. The only thing I want to stress is to please not write down a relative or peer (of your daughter) as a reference. Just write the 2-3 people who are willing to be put down, who know her in a professional capacity (ie how responsible, hard working, good with kids she is) and who will sing her praises the most compellingly.

Sports and hobbies are barely glanced at, write whatever you can think of and don’t give it a second thought 😁

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:53 pm
In the employment section is it only for real job post school or also day camp counselor work during the summer?

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 9:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In the employment section is it only for real job post school or also day camp counselor work during the summer?

Her previous summer and babysitting jobs. She's 16 and nobody expects her to have a real adult job yet. You can just write "babysitting" without listing the names of every family. For camps, write each camp and the years she worked there, as well as her boss if it calls for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics