Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Would you rent to an office a home other side duplex

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 3:36 pm
My next door tenant on my duplex left. Dh wants to offer it to someone to rent as an office. I’m not sure if it is a good idea.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:00 pm
First are you actually zoned for commercial use? If not, your neighbors might object.

Whether you rent to an office really depends on what kind of office.

Is it one person with just an assistant or are there more employees?

What is the type of business as some home offices generate almost no traffic. For example, my tax accountant ran her business from a portion of the home she didn't live in but it was just her and her assistant. And not many clients as most people don't come in person since everything is done by email and phone. She doesn't have multiple people in a steady stream since there would be at most the occasional client and obviously nothing she does generates noise or smells.

So many people work from home and technically have a business there - a lawyer probably generates very few actual client visits either unless they are the kind of lawyer who advertises on billboards. Smile

Other businesses would generate more foot traffic like a store. I wouldn't do it if significant number of people would be coming and going as it would be invasive. And parking could be a concern and your neighbors might be annoyed as well. I went to a hairdresser who had her studio in what used to be the garage and she generated almost no foot traffic either because she saw one client at a time and didn't have night hours etc. so it wasn't an issue. Also she lived in an area that was just off the business district so it wasn't as if people had moved there in order to have complete peace and quiet. LOL LOL

So in some ways it is actually more peaceful to have the right kind of business. Your lease could control the hours in which they could have clients for example. They wouldn't have loud children running or screaming. And it is highly probably they wouldn't even be there nights and weekends.

cupcake123

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:04 pm
Why not? If it's a small office it can be very beneficial for you

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:11 pm
Small offices are better than families imho. Weekends and evenings are quiet. No need to keep your kids voices down etc.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 4:28 pm
I wouldn’t do it unless maybe to a sheitel macher

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:01 am
I would do it if clients don't visit. A boss and a few employees, why not?
Lots of extra foot traffic, no.

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 3:48 am
If it is an office without too much foot traffic I think it is a great idea. I would much rather an office that doesn't make so much noise versus a noisy family next to me. Plus they'll be making noise during business hours not early in the morning or late at night. And there won't be a family there that could potentially ruin things in the house

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 4:40 am
Assuming zoning laws allow it, sure.

Offices aren't full of noisy kids and weekends/evenings are quiet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics