Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
C.S. Lewis?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:45 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I read it a very long time ago, so I really don’t remember. Is there anything else?

Nothing else.

I think CS Lewis, The Outsiders and The Giver are all fine for frum kids to read.

Unless you are against all secular literature.

Fox

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:45 pm
I hated the Narnia books as a pre-teen. But, then, I also hated the Lord of the Rings books, to which people are deeply devoted. So maybe I'm not a good example.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:46 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Lewis.

I can’t answer for sequoia, but we own all the books and my kids have seen at least two of the movies. I have no issue with it. I think if it’s not pointed out to them, they don’t even realize.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:46 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Nothing else.

I think CS Lewis, The Outsiders and The Giver are all fine for frum kids to read.

Unless you are against all secular literature.

So then could it be just a coincidence?
(So do I)
Edit: I just googled. It seems to be on purpose, but as best bunny said, that’s the only reference. So my kid for sure wouldn’t get that unless someone pointed it out to her.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:47 pm
Fox wrote:
I hated the Narnia books as a pre-teen. But, then, I also hated the Lord of the Rings books, to which people are deeply devoted. So maybe I'm not a good example.

Oh boy. Fox, I love all your posts except this one. You hated LOTR? Oy vey.

I am an ardent LOTR fan. Clearly our literary tastes differ, but amazingly, our opinions on other matters often do not.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:48 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Sequoia, would you want frum kids to read it?

Yeah definitely.

But I’m obviously not of the hashkafa that believes knowing about other religions is a problem in and of itself.

CS Lewis himself felt strongly that his sci-fi trilogy was inappropriate for kids. And it kind of is.

But Narnia? Sure!

Oldest

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:52 pm
I read Narnia as a kid and did not pick up on anything like that. The only thing that bothered me was the first book where it describes how Aslan "creates" the world of Narnia. That bothered me, and while I would let my kids read the Narnia books I would maybe have them skip the first one (which is not really important to the series anyway)

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:54 pm
I read the books as a child. There were a number of religious references. The prequel included things from the chumash (I don't remember exactly, but I believe there was a reference to Adam). At the end they go to a place like gan eden, except for Susan who was too materialistic and forgot that Narnia really existed.
I loved those books, and I didn't relate Aslan to xtian overtones at the time.
I think most kids would just read those books as fantasy....though I don't think too many kids read them these days.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:55 pm
Oldest wrote:
I read Narnia as a kid and did not pick up on anything like that. The only thing that bothered me was the first book where it describes how Aslan "creates" the world of Narnia. That bothered me, and while I would let my kids read the Narnia books I would maybe have them skip the first one (which is not really important to the series anyway)

Agree it's not important to the series. I read them out of order. I'm not even sure they were written in order.

In any case...in terms of the first one, I always just viewed it as fantasy. I never felt it confused my hashkafos as a kid....it was as fantastical to me as Mary Poppins gliding up the banister.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:55 pm
Oldest wrote:

Nooo
The Magician’s Nephew is the best one!

If anything The Last Battle is the one that’s problematic, with all the apocalyptic imagery.

We believe in a creator G-d as well — what’s the issue with Aslan creating Narnia?

Besides you need it to explain the lamppost.

Oldest

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 2:58 pm
The first book didn't cause any hashkafic questions for me, more like it made me a bit uncomfortable.
(Although, now that I'm thinking about it, it reminds me of the Percy Jackson books with all the Greek gods etc. in that sense I guess)

I can't explain it anymore than it just made me uncomfortable..

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 3:15 pm
The Chronicles of Narnia are an allegory for xianity, of the 7? books, most of them read as a nice fantasy read. My favorite was the Horse and his Boy. Questionable aspects, most of which kids won't pick up on, are in the Magician's Nephew-Aslan 'creates' this world, in Lion, Witch and Wardrobe, Aslan is sacrificed on the table for the children, only to rise again, there's also something about the lamb and seeking Aslan out in their own world and the final book where they all die and end up in 'heaven'.
But most of the references aren't obvious and they are a clean read, unlike much of modern kids books.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 3:43 pm
The Horse and His Boy is okay. I don’t like the racist overtones.
Lewis is so much more than Narnia (or xtian apologetics). He wrote in a wide variety of genres.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 3:44 pm
Years ago, when my kids were reading the series, my christian, theology professor neighbor (and friend) was shocked that I was letting my kids read books with so much christian allegory.
That was the first time I ever heard about the allegory, and had no problem with them reading it. They'd never pick up on it as they know nothing of the religion.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 3:48 pm
Interesting side note, he had a Jewish stepson that became religious in his teens and Lewis was very supportive, helped him with keeping kosher etc.
That's actually why it took so long for the movie to be made. His step sons were his heirs, and the religious one only gave permission when the movie company promised that it wouldn't be an overtly xtian film.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 4:08 pm
sequoia wrote:
Nooo
The Magician’s Nephew is the best one!

If anything The Last Battle is the one that’s problematic, with all the apocalyptic imagery.

We believe in a creator G-d as well — what’s the issue with Aslan creating Narnia?

Besides you need it to explain the lamppost.

I loved The Magician's Nephew!

And I loved the sub-plot of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader when Eustace transforms into a dragon.

The symbolism in the last few chapters of The Last Battle is too heavy-handed. The rest is not as bad, althought he whole rebirth of Aslan after he is killed by the White Witch and humiliated by her evil minions is not so subtle either.

I think I remember reading that C. S. Lewis wanted the stories to contain embedded Christian messages so that children would be more naturally receptive to Christianity later in life.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 4:19 pm
DrMom wrote:
... I think I remember reading that C. S. Lewis wanted the stories to contain embedded Christian messages so that children would be more naturally receptive to Christianity later in life.

And that's what bothers me about the Narnia series. L'havdil, it's like... grooming.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 4:32 pm
I loved the Narnia books as a kid. Xianity has much from Judaism, and there was plenty in there that resonated.

I do, however, take issue with Lewis's xenophobic disgust at middle eastern cuisine and culture. The "stink of garlic" is the least of it.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 8:19 pm
cool thread!

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 9:17 pm
As a kid (and adult!) who loved fantasy, The Chronicles of Narnia was just another world-building series I immersed myself in. No confusion, no issues later in life, and I definitely didn’t pick up on xtian references until maybe coming across it on this site. It was fantasy to me just like Greek Mythology and Harry Potter.

I’d have no issues with kids reading it.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room