Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Wording question for invitation, chosson is a kohen

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 10:43 pm
Re: wedding invitation, if the chosson is a kohen, is the word hakohen in hebrew after the chosson's name meant to be the same size as the chosson's name or smaller? Anyone wanna be a tzadeikes and scan in a copy of their invitation.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 04 2022, 10:46 pm
I just got my cousin's wedding invitation. The "הכהן" is in a slightly smaller font than his name. Iirc, for my brothers, it was in a significantly smaller font, like the same size as the נ"י. There's probably no wrong way to do it tho. If you're using a company to print them, they might be able to advise.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 5:58 pm
bump

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 6:17 pm
I just checked. My DH has his the same size as the rest of his name. I think it really depends. He is very into his kohain status.
He also has it on his Tallis bag
But I think you can go either way

Check out the samples here and see what other examples you find
http://www.invitations123.com/

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:26 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I
He also has it on his Tallis bag

/

That is standard.

We did slightly smaller.

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 8:38 pm
My husband is Kohen, we didn't write it on the invitation at all. Never even entered our minds.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 9:42 pm
My brothers are kohanim & they didn't put it on their invitations, either.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 9:58 pm
It’s slightly smaller for my husband, written underneath
With my dads name and my father in law it is smaller in the same line as their names

The Lubavitch rebbe told my dad at his bar mitzvah that he must always include hacohen, so it’s our minhag now

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 4:46 am
My father wrote to the Rebbe once, and the Rebbe inserted Halevi after his name.

My husband is a levi too but I can't remember what or how was written.

mom39

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 6:40 am
My children are kohanim but when I saw your question I couldn't remember what I did on their invitations, so I took one out and saw the word kohen was the same size as their name.

I remember agonizing over certain things on the invitations - Hebrew spelling of my mom's name or how to spell English addresses in Hebrew....bottom line - it doesn't matter. Nobody notices these things.

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:31 pm
Mom39, you're so right. Nobody notices...except for those who do. Most people don't even bother reading the Hebrew side of the invitation.

My pet peeve is invites that say the wedding will take place "or leyom shlishi, Shabbat Parashat Yitro." What the heck is or leyom shilishi? If you remember your Mishnah lessons, you may know that "or leyom shlishi" means Monday night, but it sounds like Tuesday morning. Now what if you never studied Mishnah? This kind of overblown language is there just to show off how learned the senders are. It clarifies nothing and obscures everything.

Thank goodness we also have an English side of the invitation, so those of us who are not Mishnah scholars can know that the wedding will take place on Monday night, January 17.

To answer OP, neither my dh nor any of our sons had "hakohen" appended to their names on anything except tallis bag. If they had, the word would have been in the same size type, as it's still part of their identity. N"Y is, like tichye or AMV"Sh, a blessing, almost parenthetical.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics