Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If you moved from a very small house to a very large one

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 12:44 am
How did you pack? We’re Bh moving from a tiny apartment with a total of two closets to a very big house with tons of closet space. Everyone is telling me to pack according to how I’ll unpack in the new home but I have no idea! The stuff that now occupies one closet will probably be in a few different closets/ rooms. I don’t know off hand yet what will be placed where. Any help on packing well so that unpacking doesn’t take forever?

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 12:54 am
Mazel Tov!

Label the boxes by contents.

toys.

pot n pans.

boy clothes

linen.

pick a room for each box.

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 5:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How did you pack? We’re Bh moving from a tiny apartment with a total of two closets to a very big house with tons of closet space. Everyone is telling me to pack according to how I’ll unpack in the new home but I have no idea! The stuff that now occupies one closet will probably be in a few different closets/ rooms. I don’t know off hand yet what will be placed where. Any help on packing well so that unpacking doesn’t take forever?

Hatzlacha! Do what works for you.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 6:21 am
Each room in the old house went to 1 of two- three rooms in the new house. Ex: kids room went to either girls room, boys room or playroom. I kept stickers with those 3 labels and 3 boxes open in the room. If there was an exception it went into the exception box which was literally 1 box of randomness in my living room which was unpacked last.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 6:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I packed room by room, not by how it was going to be. Just make sure each box is well labeled.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 10:03 am
We moved from a tiny apartment to a house in another state. It was a disaster. Forget how to pack, the bigger issue was where to put the boxes once packed. We actually only packed what we could and had the movers pack the rest. It cost more, but was worth every penny.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 10:08 am
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
We moved from a tiny apartment to a house in another state. It was a disaster. Forget how to pack, the bigger issue was where to put the boxes once packed. We actually only packed what we could and had the movers pack the rest. It cost more, but was worth every penny.

We’re also moving to a different state. I was thinking of asking the movers to pack for us but dh doesn’t want to pay extra money. We’re on a tight budget. How does it work? They pack the day of the move? Or come beforehand?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 10:14 am
I moved a few years ago, not from a tiny aparment, but from a starter home to a colonial.

I packed according to destination. Boxes were labeled "kitchen" "dining room" "playroom" "master bedroom" "bedroom #1" (we labeled the girls' bedrooms with a number on the door so the movers would know where the boxes go.)

I also got these big grey rubber bins and used those for moving my china and dishes, which I did by myself (but was moving just a few blocks away, and made the drive on my own. By moving day, my kitchen was already mostly set up.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 10:24 am
Chayalle wrote:
I moved a few years ago, not from a tiny aparment, but from a starter home to a colonial.

I packed according to destination. Boxes were labeled "kitchen" "dining room" "playroom" "master bedroom" "bedroom #1" (we labeled the girls' bedrooms with a number on the door so the movers would know where the boxes go.)

I also got these big grey rubber bins and used those for moving my china and dishes, which I did by myself (but was moving just a few blocks away, and made the drive on my own. By moving day, my kitchen was already mostly set up.)

I’d love to set up my kitchen beforehand but like I said we’re moving states. We’re also moving in right after closing iyh so we won’t be able to unpack beforehand.
So kitchen, kids stuff and toys I know where I’ll put in the new house. I get stuck at odds n ends. Like I squished a lot of random stuff on the top shelf of my cabinets that really don’t belong in a kitchen. I just used that space since I’m very short so those shelves weren’t useful for daily kitchen use. I also have random things like albums etc with my toys. The closet where we keep clothing now has a big high shelf where I keep extra meshloach monas stuff, things I use as decor, like fancy candles, faux flowers etc. I have no idea where these things belong since they never really had a “home” in my current apartment. Whenever we had stuff to put away we just chose where we have extra space had placed it there.

lora

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 10:31 am
I packed by category and labeled the boxed. no reason to stress now about exactly how you will unpack, your plans will change anyway once you are actually there likely. as long as everything is neat and you know whats in every box its not that hard to sort our where everything goes once you actually moved.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 11:38 am
lora wrote:
I packed by category and labeled the boxed. no reason to stress now about exactly how you will unpack, your plans will change anyway once you are actually there likely. as long as everything is neat and you know whats in every box its not that hard to sort our where everything goes once you actually moved.

Exactly. You're trying to make it easier for yourself but you're just causing more stress unnecessarily lol!

Just label each box clearly, and try to put like items together. So for example Crafts, shalach manos, Gift items etc.
As long as you clearly label it, you'll be able to put aside the boxes that you haven't yet decided and then as you get settled with the basics, you'll slowly unpack the last 3-5 random boxes.

Enjoy the extra space!

p.s - the day of the move you're going to end up with a last few random items anyway - last minute laundry, baby bottles etc, so just clearly label that box so you remember to open it right away and won't have to go searching for the missing laundry lol

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 11:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’d love to set up my kitchen beforehand but like I said we’re moving states. We’re also moving in right after closing iyh so we won’t be able to unpack beforehand.
So kitchen, kids stuff and toys I know where I’ll put in the new house. I get stuck at odds n ends. Like I squished a lot of random stuff on the top shelf of my cabinets that really don’t belong in a kitchen. I just used that space since I’m very short so those shelves weren’t useful for daily kitchen use. I also have random things like albums etc with my toys. The closet where we keep clothing now has a big high shelf where I keep extra meshloach monas stuff, things I use as decor, like fancy candles, faux flowers etc. I have no idea where these things belong since they never really had a “home” in my current apartment. Whenever we had stuff to put away we just chose where we have extra space had placed it there.

You can label those "storage" and put them in a storage room, basement, whatever, and then decide to unpack them when you have settled in and decided where to put them. You can also write what's in the box, in addition to the destination.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 11:53 am
We moved into a larger house with a lot of storage and it did take time to get used to it. Focus on what you will need to begin with, your kitchen stuff, beds, table, chairs, clothing etc. The things that aren't urgent for those first few weeks, will slowly find a new home. I wouldn't stress about those. There's enough to worry about.
Btw useful tip is to pack a small case as if you were going away for a couple of nights, so when you get there you don't have to search through all the boxes to locate what you need. We also rolled up our bedding with pyjamas, so when we got there, we just unrolled it on the beds and we could go right to bed.
Other essentials to have to hand include towels, soap and toilet paper.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 1:07 pm
Thanks everyone. Very helpful tips

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 1:11 pm
If it's stressing you out that much, why not just pack it where it is and then worry about sorting it out as you unpack. Sure it's easier unpacking when it's pre-sorted, but it's not the end of the world if it isn't. You might live with some disarray for longer but whatever.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jan 05 2022, 1:26 pm
Quote:
We’re also moving to a different state. I was thinking of asking the movers to pack for us but dh doesn’t want to pay extra money. We’re on a tight budget. How does it work? They pack the day of the move? Or come beforehand?

We told the movers before hand (though the manager forgot to tell the crew). They packed us the day of the move. We paid per box. I think it was $11 a box. They probably packed 40 boxes...
We did pack as much as we could before. I had an infant + 3 other kids, and was working full time at the time, with no place to really put the boxes we packed. We moved the couch and made a tower behind the couch of boxes. We put boxes in the hallway and any other corner we could find. We did help the movers pack while they were packing..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating