Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
If you cook your cholent in a crockpot-
Previous  1  2

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:10 pm
mom! wrote:
Not sure that is halachically simple. Please consult with your LOR.

Some LOR say ok if meat is 100% raw. Others say better not to.
My rav said not to.
But there is def reason to allow it.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:10 pm
chanar wrote:
I put mine up around 11 am on Friday. I find that perfect!

Same

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:12 pm
mom! wrote:

You can put it in raw right before shabbos, otherwise it needs to be edible before shabbos. I think 2/3 or 3/4 cooked, but I don’t remember which.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:14 pm
The only times I've started it on Thursday PM are when I made large quantities, e.g. for a kiddush.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:22 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
You can put it in raw right before shabbos, otherwise it needs to be edible before shabbos. I think 2/3 or 3/4 cooked, but I don’t remember which.

I'm not sure the percentages are meaningful, but AIUI it needs to be edible. Maybe the beans are still a little crunchy, or the whole thing hasn't melted into a stew, but you could eat it.

Or totally raw, as in flip the switch then light.

I don't make cholent often, but when I do, I put it up Friday morning before work, on Low, then switch it to Keep Warm (which is plenty warm on my slow cooker) before lighting, or around 6 pm when lighting is late.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:29 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm not sure the percentages are meaningful, but AIUI it needs to be edible. Maybe the beans are still a little crunchy, or the whole thing hasn't melted into a stew, but you could eat it.

Or totally raw, as in flip the switch then light.

I don't make cholent often, but when I do, I put it up Friday morning before work, on Low, then switch it to Keep Warm (which is plenty warm on my slow cooker) before lighting, or around 6 pm when lighting is late.

I don’t know that the specific numbers are important, but the point is that if you put it up right before shabbos (literally, not an hour) then it can be completely raw. If it’s not right before shabbos, then it needs to be edible by the time shabbos comes.

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:33 pm
mom! wrote:

The halacha is that it needs to be either completely raw or completely cooked by shabbos. Many people put up their chalont raw right by candle lighting.

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:35 pm
honeymoon wrote:
This is interesting. I always knew it has to be at least somewhat cooked at the shkiyah. Never knew it can be completely raw.

Somewhat cooked is actually problematic. It has to be cooked enough to be edible, meaning that you'd serve & eat it that way.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 1:25 pm
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
The halacha is that it needs to be either completely raw or completely cooked by shabbos. Many people put up their chalont raw right by candle lighting.

CYLOR if erev Shabbos is also yom tov, re eruv tavshilin, may need to be cooked before.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 1:57 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Am I the only one who leaves the cholent raw until right before candle lighting?

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this yet but raw beans right before candle lighting can be an issue. According to how I was taught is that the beans need to be mostly cooked by the time shabbos rolls around. Why don’t u ask ur Dayan?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 1:58 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I don’t know if anyone mentioned this yet but raw beans right before candle lighting can be an issue. According to how I was taught is that the beans need to be mostly cooked by the time shabbos rolls around. Why don’t u ask ur Dayan?

It was mentioned and discussed

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 2:00 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

I see now that it was discussed…

momtra

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 8:25 pm
I also put up right before candle lighting.

I believe the consideration is that one should not come to adjust the temperature on shabbos.
By having it fully ( mostly ?) cooked or totally raw, it’s ok.

bsy

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:02 pm
I also do fully raw right before Shabbos. As long as the meat is raw, halacha isn't concerned you would open the pot etc because it's fully raw.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics