Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Exotic fruits what have you tried
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 8:56 pm
Good Friend wrote:
You might be talking about Granadilla. I live in South America, my kids eat it a lot. I personally am not a fan.

Granadilla have a purplish skin, full of seeds, and pretty sour! I actually like them. This definitely sounds more like a lychee, but you know a lychee because it has a big pit in the middle so there's actually very little fruit.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 8:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Lychee

Thanks!

Op, as you said, you are seeing cherries and nectarines in the stores now! Those are definitely not in season in USA now! I want to know before I head out to the store what exotic fruits are in season now that are sweet when ripe. I don't want to assume that just cause the store has them now that they are in season. I just saw blueberries on sale at my store. Those are not going to taste good at all and will be a fortune even though they are on "sale." It's hard to Google every fruit I see while in the store and find out the correct season to buy it in. Easier to go with a short list of options in case I bump into one.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:03 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Thanks!

Op, as you said, you are seeing cherries and nectarines in the stores now! Those are definitely not in season in USA now! I want to know before I head out to the store what exotic fruits are in season now that are sweet when ripe. I don't want to assume that just cause the store has them now that they are in season. I just saw blueberries on sale at my store. Those are not going to taste good at all and will be a fortune even though they are on "sale." It's hard to Google every fruit I see while in the store and find out the correct season to buy it in. Easier to go with a short list of options in case I bump into one.
I meant to say that the cherries and nectarines are fresh and ripe. The cherries I got are so amazing and juicy. They are very expensive though (7.99lb) so I only get it for shabbos. I think most of the other fruits are ripe and ready too. Smile

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone here had Mangosteen or Yellow Watermelon ?

I've tried mangosteen. It's really good, sort of sweet and sour. I've also had durian- it had a weird doughy texture, but tasted alright, kind of sweet.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:11 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
I've tried mangosteen. It's really good, sort of sweet and sour. I've also had durian- it had a weird doughy texture, but tasted alright, kind of sweet.
Where did you get it ?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I meant to say that the cherries and nectarines are fresh and ripe. The cherries I got are so amazing and juicy. They are very expensive though (7.99lb) so I only get it for shabbos. I think most of the other fruits are ripe and ready too. Smile

Lucky you. Enjoy! Over here, they not only would be expensive, but tasteless too.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where did you get it ?

I tried them while traveling in the Phillipines. I think you can buy them at Asian markets in the US, but I don't know if they would be as good

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:38 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
I tried them while traveling in the Phillipines. I think you can buy them at Asian markets in the US, but I don't know if they would be as good
Is it true that durian has an interesting odor ?

mamaroo

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:45 pm
Lichee is not in season now at least not where I live
Mamey tastes like dates when it’s ripe and good
Pérsimo it has to be very ripe almost spoiled for it to taste good if not it takes your tong and tastes bad
There is Chico zapote and zapote [black person] also have to be very ripe to taste good
Pasión fruit it has to look very very wrinkled and almost orange so it doesn’t taste like lemon and has a sweet and sour very delicious taste
Rambutan is like lichee but has less flesh and bigger pit
Caboticabos are delicious but it’s not the season we’re I live they look like blueberries and are very funny because they grow on the bark
Níspero are little and orange and is very juice and sweet

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it true that durian has an interesting odor ?

Yes- it smells awful. The one I tried was a variety that doesn't smell that bad, but my husband had the "real" one and he said it smelled so bad he could barely eat it. Our hotel even had a "no durian on the premises" policy because of the smell.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:53 pm
Love love love passion fruit. Sabras are a family favorite. And those little orange berries that come in a brown “paper” sack. Taste like gum balls.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 9:54 pm
I am shocked that there are lychees in the stores how as they have a very limited season in the US. It is basically June. If you have a good Asian market near you, the cost of lychees (and other produce) is so much cheaper than a regular grocery store - $1.99 per pound versus $10.00

Lychees have a kind of thin but hard "shell" which peels off. It is brown or reddish brown most typically. It has a very solid seed but the size varies because some have lots of fruit and a tiny seed ad others have a huge seed with relatively little edible fruit surrounding the seed.

And lychee martinis are good any time of the year LOL

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:01 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Love love love passion fruit. Sabras are a family favorite. And those little orange berries that come in a brown “paper” sack. Taste like gum balls.
I think they are gooseberries

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think they are gooseberries

This past Rosh Hashanah we got gooseberries, I think from Trader Joe's. They were so sour and inedible.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:34 pm
Which fruits listed above are sweet when ripe besides for lychee?

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 10:38 pm
I've had lots of exotic fruits while traveling.
Been to Mexico, Jamaica and Thailand
Have tasted mangosteen, durian, rambutan and others.

Good Friend

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 12:05 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Granadilla have a purplish skin, full of seeds, and pretty sour! I actually like them. This definitely sounds more like a lychee, but you know a lychee because it has a big pit in the middle so there's actually very little fruit.

Over here they're orange, but I heard in other places they're purple also.

Another fruit that's popular here is cocoa. They dry and crush the seeds to make the cocoa powder which is used for chocolate, but the fruit itself is sweet, white and soft, very interesting texture. It's not eaten much plain, but we eat frozen cocoa pulp, and also drink cocoa juice, both sold all over here.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 12:10 am
this thread is making me hungry for exotic fruits.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 12:17 am
HILY wrote:
It's also lychee season now and we have them for shabbos as dessert yum!

Where do you buy them??? Love them but can never find them!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 12:18 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Where do you buy them??? Love them but can never find them!
where do you live ?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days