Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Woodmere houses are now cheaper than Toms River?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 9:19 am
It seems buying a house in Woodmere is more doable than buying a house in Toms River.

Both are supposed to have high taxes.

If youre in the level of frumkeit that youd fit in in both areas, what are the pros and cons of each?

Am I missing something?

Whats the next affordable area where pioneers are buying nice large houses in the NY/NJ area?

tia

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 9:22 am
Woodmere houses are old and need a lot of fixing up. Most are way smaller than toms river houses. It's also a totally different crowd. Woodmere was never one of the more expensive towns in five towns. Look at the cedarhurst and lawrence prices those are in the millions.

Sewsew_mom

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 9:23 am
Depends where in Woodmere.. The taxes can be double. The houses in Tom's river are double if not triple the size. The houses in Woodmere need tons of work so that will pack on lots of $.
The schools in 5 towns tuition is more money. The grocerys are more money.
But.. I have a lot of positive things to say about Woodmere just I don't think it's necessarily relevant to anyone but myself of whyd I'd choose Woodmere over Toms river.
Ps. I've live in one and lived near the other that I know enough to say what I say.

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 9:37 am
Ha. For 850, you get a beautiful 4,000 sq foot house in toms river.
In woodmere, it's an 1,800 sq foot house that hasn't been updated in 40 years.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 10:09 am
If you want a large house near Lakewood these days…good luck 😬 putting aside price, there’s no inventory

amother
Jasmine

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 11:33 am
I live in cedarhurst. Build a house here approx 5 years ago.
At the time I could purchase a house in TR for half the price

amother
White

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 11:45 am
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:

The houses here doubled.
I see houses that bought for 600 last year being flipped for over 1 million.

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 11:48 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
The houses here doubled.
I see houses that bought for 600 last year being flipped for over 1 million.

Right. But in Tom's River a million dollars gets you a massive new house. In 5 towns that can get you an old house or a tiny redone house. Same price but huge difference in what you get for your money.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 11:54 am
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:

I bought a house in Tom's river 4 years ago and today it's worth more than double.
Houses in Cedarhurst didn't double in the last 4 years. They doubled about 8/9 years ago.

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 11:58 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I bought a house in Tom's river 4 years ago and today it's worth more than double.
Houses in Cedarhurst didn't double in the last 4 years. They doubled about 8/9 years ago.

I bought my house in 5 towns for 650,000 less than 5 years ago. A house on my block, a tiny bit bigger but less done just sold for 1.2 million

It is not a big house

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 12:01 pm
This isn't a contest of who's house price soared more. Housing everywhere is crazy now.

The point is that OP is looking into both areas and even if you can buy a house for the same price there is nothing similar at all about what you get for it.

A 4,000 square foot 5 towns house, comparable to TR size is over 2 million here for a lot less land as well.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Jan 07 2022, 12:52 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Depends where in Woodmere.. The taxes can be double. The houses in Tom's river are double if not triple the size. The houses in Woodmere need tons of work so that will pack on lots of $.
The schools in 5 towns tuition is more money. The grocerys are more money.
But.. I have a lot of positive things to say about Woodmere just I don't think it's necessarily relevant to anyone but myself of whyd I'd choose Woodmere over Toms river.
Ps. I've live in one and lived near the other that I know enough to say what I say.

Can you tell me more about Woodmere? We are looking to move to the five towns within the next year. All our family is there.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 3:57 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
Can you tell me more about Woodmere? We are looking to move to the five towns within the next year. All our family is there.

I feel like if all your family is there why not start asking them. I'm an anonymous person on the internet that doesn't know you and your needs. I wish I can help but they would be more helpful. I also haven't lived there in 4 years and wouldn't be able to vouch for much. I have my Opinion on why I would live there, but honestly it's my own life experiences which is why I would decide that. Good luck with your decision!

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 4:00 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:

There are dif parts of woodmere. It depends what circles u fall into. But it’s nice there. There are lots of pros and some cons to living in the five towns so u need to weigh what works for u

amother
Chambray

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 6:21 pm
Location Location Location
I’d rather a shack in a location that’s good for my family then a mansion somewhere it’s not good for my family
OP you need to see beyond the actual house
Where will you and your family be happiest
School, Shul, friends/social

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Jan 08 2022, 7:53 pm
To echo what all the other posters are saying here yes you can find houses in same price range in woodmere and Toms River but there is zero comparison to what you are getting. You get waaaay more for your money in Toms River than here.

A neighbor of mine recently sold her three bedroom house and bought a 3000 sqft house on a half acre of land in Toms River for a little less money.

Yes lakewood and the surrounding areas have gone up a lot in the past few years. Five towns also went up. Location location location. Five towns will
Always be a more expensive place to live than lkwd.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries