Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Send kid to daycare with runny nose?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:17 am
I live in one of those rare places in Australia where there’s no Covid, so this isn’t covid.

Toddler started having a runny nose two weeks ago, but no other symptoms, otherwise herself. We recently started using the air con in her room so I thought that was it.

Last Tuesday, daycare called that she vomited but she was otherwise fine. No fever, totally happy. I picked her up anyway. Wednesday she wasn’t herself, more cuddly and tired than playful, still runny nose so I took her to the doctor who said she has a mild ear infection. She wrote a script but said not to fill it unless she got worse (fever, or not eating or drinking), because she thought it was viral and will likely pass on its own. B”h she’s been kind of fine aside from that Wednesday, but she still has a runny nose. I say kind of because she’s somewhat more clingy than usual but she also got 3 new teeth in the past couple of weeks, so I don’t know what’s from what. The type that if I’m home and leave her with DH she’ll often scream until I hang out with her, but if I go out to go shopping, she’s totally fine with DH.

No fever this whole time, she hasn’t vomited since the daycare incident. But she woke up today still with a runny nose. Do I keep her home tomorrow? I feel like kids can have runny noses for weeks, no? Before covid, if you were working would you keep your toddler home for a runny nose?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in one of those rare places in Australia where there’s no Covid, so this isn’t covid.

Toddler started having a runny nose two weeks ago, but no other symptoms, otherwise herself. We recently started using the air con in her room so I thought that was it.

Last Tuesday, daycare called that she vomited but she was otherwise fine. No fever, totally happy. I picked her up anyway. Wednesday she wasn’t herself, more cuddly and tired than playful, still runny nose so I took her to the doctor who said she has a mild ear infection. She wrote a script but said not to fill it unless she got worse (fever, or not eating or drinking), because she thought it was viral and will likely pass on its own. B”h she’s been kind of fine aside from that Wednesday, but she still has a runny nose. I say kind of because she’s somewhat more clingy than usual but she also got 3 new teeth in the past couple of weeks, so I don’t know what’s from what. The type that if I’m home and leave her with DH she’ll often scream until I hang out with her, but if I go out to go shopping, she’s totally fine with DH.

No fever this whole time, she hasn’t vomited since the daycare incident. But she woke up today still with a runny nose. Do I keep her home tomorrow? I feel like kids can have runny noses for weeks, no? Before covid, if you were working would you keep your toddler home for a runny nose?

I send my daughter with a runny nose, if everything else is fine.
(side note- an ear infection is not a reason on its own to keep a kid home if she's okay, since it's not contagious.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:22 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I send my daughter with a runny nose, if everything else is fine.
(side note- an ear infection is not a reason on its own to keep a kid home if she's okay, since it's not contagious.)

I was wondering about that! I asked the doc if she was contagious and first she said “no”, then she paused and said “with a runny nose, it could be”. I took that to mean that it’s probably not transmissible through the air but in a daycare setting, where kids are putting stuff in their mouths, it probably could be. I mean she probably caught it in daycare in the first place.

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 11:27 am
I give nightly allergy meds to help dry up my runny nosed kid. It solves the problem perfectly.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:20 pm
I do. My toddler has had a runny nose since she started daycare. If that's the only symptom, yes.

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 1:27 pm
Is it clear or is it bright neon green?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics