Home

Wood or Acrylic Kitchen cabinets, pros and cons?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 2:05 pm
Can we make a list of the pros and cons of doing a Wood Kitchen or an Acrylic Kitchen

tia
Back to top

amother




Oxfordblue
 

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 3:01 pm
Acrylic gets fingerprint marks easily but easy to clean. Wood if it’s shaker the design might need q tips to clean.
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 7:29 pm
Can Windex flat panel cabinets
Wood needs special care
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:14 pm
How do you deal with dings/chips on edges or centers of acrylic doors?

Even painted wood is usually easy to repair with filler and paint.
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you deal with dings/chips on edges or centers of acrylic doors?

Even painted wood is usually easy to repair with filler and paint.


It doesn’t get chipped like wood if you get good quality
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:17 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
It doesn’t get chipped like wood if you get good quality


With a hard bang of a toy, Im sure even top quality acrylic gets chipped.

How do you fix it?
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
With a hard bang of a toy, Im sure even top quality acrylic gets chipped.

How do you fix it?


Filler paint pen to match the color
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 8:40 pm
What is your aesthetic vision. Do you like the white plastic or do you find yourself drawn to other styles.

I don't like laminate - I marginally appreciate high end Italian lacquer but I admire it at a distance so to speak. I don't like formica at all as a counter or as furniture or as cabinets.

Of course I am prejudiced since I love my wood cabinets - quarter sawn white oak in a lightish caramel color. They look like beautiful furniture and I actually extended the run into the back of my dining area and designed it so that it looks like a vintage Arts & Crafts built in.

I find them easy to maintain - it's been over three years since I moved back in after my gut remodel and they still look perfect.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 9:48 pm
Amarante wrote:
What is your aesthetic vision. Do you like the white plastic or do you find yourself drawn to other styles.


Thanks! I love the modern look but with every new ding on a door, the door can look like its made of a textured material, with dings here and there, different than the other doors.

More than anything else, I like to think long term, and I dislike stained cabinets that are the most practical, and being that acrylic doors arent ding-proof, that leaves me with light painted cabinets, because relatively speaking, I think painted wood doors are more easily repairable than acrylic doors.

Edited: If youre able to post a pic of one cabinet, Id love to see it. Maybe Id go for the look. Thanks.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! I love the modern look but with every new ding on a door, the door can look like its made of a textured material, with dings here and there, different than the other doors.

More than anything else, I like to think long term, and I dislike stained cabinets that are the most practical, and being that acrylic doors arent ding-proof, that leaves me with light painted cabinets, because relatively speaking, I think painted wood doors are more easily repairable than acrylic doors.

Edited: If youre able to post a pic of one cabinet, Id love to see it. Maybe Id go for the look. Thanks.


My cabinets are not modern as I wanted a traditional style. I do like modern style as well and I would probably go with walnut slab doors if I were doing a modern kitchen but that is actually also a vintage look as it is MCM. As posted while I admire the Italian high end lacquer cabinets it isn't a look that I would want to live with as it seems sterile.

I don't like formica at all for any reason although I used formica for the shelves of my cabinets because they are good to wipe down for cleaning and also "clad" the interior of my sink cabinet in formica for the same reason.

I have only read about acrylic cabinets being a design choice on imamother. 🤷🏼‍♀️ In the non-imamother world, people either get painted cabinets with white being the most popular choice but trending now to different colors like navy, sage green. Stained wood is becoming increasingly popular in high end kitchens and is starting to trickle down to the middle class. People don't like the ubiquitous builder grade golden oak cabinets with the arched cathedral doors but then people also don't want avocado green appliances either as a design choice. LOL

Here are websites from some very expensive kitchen cabinet manufacturers which might "inspire" you.

https://www.plainenglishdesign.....hens/

https://www.smallbone.co.uk

https://pediniusa.com

Since my kitchen seems to be the antithesis of your taste, I am not sure how posting will help. I love my kitchen and am not tired of it at all although it is not the standard "safe" design. I don't find wood to be difficult to maintain and I think it hides a multitude of sins. I had painted light cabinets prior to my remodel and they showed every little drop - which I guess is good in that it makes one clean the fronts of the cabinets frequently. LOL


Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Aug 05 2022, 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 12:03 pm
Amarante wrote:
My cabinets are not modern as I wanted a traditional style.....


Thanks a mil for posting the pic. One pic outdoes many thousands of words.

If you want to delete the pic, to prevent "outing" yourself, feel free to. Thanks again!

After having a traditional dark wood kitchen for years, Im looking for a change (either white painted shaker or acrylic, the question is which).

Its clear that your cabinets are very practical and done beautifully.
Back to top

Rubies




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks a mil for posting the pic. One pic outdoes many thousands of words.

If you want to delete the pic, to prevent "outing" yourself, feel free to. Thanks again!

After having a traditional dark wood kitchen for years, Im looking for a change (either white painted shaker or acrylic, the question is which).

Its clear that your cabinets are very practical and done beautifully.


Who sells acrylic? Where can I see a picture?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 2:28 pm
Rubies wrote:
Who sells acrylic? Where can I see a picture?


I think most dealers sell BOTH wood and acrylic kitchens.
Back to top

Rubies




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think most dealers sell BOTH wood and acrylic kitchens.


Thank you!
Back to top

amother




Tomato
 

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 3:00 am
hi bumping up. did you end up doing a wood or acrylic kitchen. help me decide. have a wood kitchen now. honestly not really washable
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 8:57 pm
Still thinking. I havent decided.

Can anyone help me choose between wood and acrylic. I love the modern look of acrylic cabinets, but acrylic doors with dings scare me because I think theyre way harder to repair than wood doors with dings.
Back to top

SuperWify




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:24 am
Acrylic is beautiful and super easy to maintain. If you get a good quality then they can hold up for a very long time. My mil has for over 13 years with little kids around and they still look quite new. Wood gets chipped and water damaged much easier and also harder to clean.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 5:34 am
SuperWify wrote:
Acrylic is beautiful and super easy to maintain. If you get a good quality then they can hold up for a very long time. My mil has for over 13 years with little kids around and they still look quite new. Wood gets chipped and water damaged much easier and also harder to clean.


How does anyone determine which non-wood cabinet doors are the best quality? Is it a certain brand or dealer who sells the best quality?
Back to top

Rivaa




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 11:55 pm
I'm on the fence too, now. Wood or acrylic???? And I need to make a decision really soon. If anyone has any info, please share...
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Regret the wood stain color I chose:(
by amother
14 Fri, Sep 23 2022, 12:29 pm View last post
Satin, semi-gloss or gloss wood finish?
by amother
6 Fri, Sep 23 2022, 5:24 am View last post
by s c
Help I made a huge mistake in my new kitchen!
by amother
11 Tue, Sep 20 2022, 3:00 pm View last post
Which gargabe can [free standing] do you have in the kitchen
by Growing
4 Sat, Sep 17 2022, 11:58 am View last post
by gigi
Choosing an Irene Sheitel at Irene, pros and cons?
by amother
2 Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:24 pm View last post