Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Does there exist in LKWD/surrounding area OOT type BY HS ???

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:07 am
My dd is going into 9th grade.

She needs a Bais Yaakov light
or an out of town type Bais Yaakov.

She thrives in a chilled environment where love is the motivating force for avodas Hashem
and tznius is not forced down her throat.

Does anything like this exist for solid good kids in Lakewood or around Lakewood?

Thank you.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dd is going into 9th grade.

She needs a Bais Yaakov light
or an out of town type Bais Yaakov.

She thrives in a chilled environment where love is the motivating force for avodas Hashem
and tznius is not forced down her throat.

Does anything like this exist for solid good kids in Lakewood or around Lakewood?

Thank you.

Must be near Lakewood?
I am from Baltimore and great schools there.
There are also great schools further out just don't know much about them. Denver, Atlanta, my mind is blanking now...trying to think lol

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:31 am
Not sure by what you mean BY Light.. Chedvas I heard more OOT type
BY Jersey Shore

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:07 am
BY machon Ora in Passaic.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:18 am
Reenas Bais Yaakov
It's in Highland Park, NJ, an hour away from Lakewood.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 7:36 am
There is exactly such a school in Lakewood, I'm blanking out on the name. Run by a Mrs Friedman. Ashira maybe?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 7:41 am
Chedvas

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 7:45 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Reenas Bais Yaakov
It's in Highland Park, NJ, an hour away from Lakewood.

I'm pretty sure they don't take Lakewood girls, at least in general. And they are already full for next year. Machon Ora in Passaic is also finishing up their acceptances. I don't know if they take Lakewood. Both are definitely OOT Bais Yaakov, and very academic.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 7:49 am
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
Must be near Lakewood?
I am from Baltimore and great schools there.
There are also great schools further out just don't know much about them. Denver, Atlanta, my mind is blanking now...trying to think lol

I was going to say this also about Baltimore. A few years ago when there was a lot of Lakewood girls still not in high schools, Bnos and BY each took a few Lakewood girls and they boarded. BH our schools are great.

teachkids

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 7:59 am
If you have a place for her to stay in Monsey, I think a school exactly like that is opening there. Pm me for more info

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 10:20 am
Thank you to everyone who responded!

Sigh... I am such an out of towner.
I can't handle the fight, the struggle.
Once upon a time, not too long ago, there was chinuch atzmai
where precious Jewish children were a treasure...

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:30 pm
Another vote for Chedvas. It was actually mentioned by a speaker at their dinner motzai Shabbos that they are an out-of-town school. As a parent there (who grew up way OOT) I have to agree.

Mrs jaffe is a recent Chicago transplant (she taught in the Academy for 20+ years) who runs the school the way you would expect an OOTer to run a school. The warmth & simcha in the building are palpable. The girls know she cares & is always available to help them (many of them have her cell number & use it). The teachers are amazing and teach the girls, not the material. Many of the teachers give out their numbers and I know of at least one that has invited girls to come do their homework at her house so she can be available to help them.

The school has onsite babysitting for the teachers’ kids and the girls are allowed and even encouraged to spend time there when they need a break (some of them even have it on their official schedules). The teachers come to appreciate the girls, not just as students but as people. They get to see them outside the academic settings (and not just in extra curricular activities) and many girls have been able to see another side of the teachers too.

Some of the subjects are tracked, others aren’t but the girls don’t use the tracked subjects to divide themselves, if that makes sense. They identify & consider themselves part of their homerooms (the non-tracked classes).

If you have any other questions, please ask. Posting anon because I’m very vocal about these things IRL

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:33 pm
Maybe bruriah?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:36 pm
I’d find out were the girls who travel to manalapan for school go
I know nice families that send there but not sure we’re their girls go after

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:40 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
Another vote for Chedvas. It was actually mentioned by a speaker at their dinner motzai Shabbos that they are an out-of-town school. As a parent there (who grew up way OOT) I have to agree.

Mrs jaffe is a recent Chicago transplant (she taught in the Academy for 20+ years) who runs the school the way you would expect an OOTer to run a school. The warmth & simcha in the building are palpable. The girls know she cares & is always available to help them (many of them have her cell number & use it). The teachers are amazing and teach the girls, not the material. Many of the teachers give out their numbers and I know of at least one that has invited girls to come do their homework at her house so she can be available to help them.

The school has onsite babysitting for the teachers’ kids and the girls are allowed and even encouraged to spend time there when they need a break (some of them even have it on their official schedules). The teachers come to appreciate the girls, not just as students but as people. They get to see them outside the academic settings (and not just in extra curricular activities) and many girls have been able to see another side of the teachers too.

Some of the subjects are tracked, others aren’t but the girls don’t use the tracked subjects to divide themselves, if that makes sense. They identify & consider themselves part of their homerooms (the non-tracked classes).

If you have any other questions, please ask. Posting anon because I’m very vocal about these things IRL

Another vote for Chedvas from another thrilled Chedvas parent. Just the other day my dd was listing all the teachers that she loves. Almost every teacher made it to the list. This was a dd who hardly even liked any of her elementary teachers and actively disliked many of them.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:43 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:

OMG WAIT. STOP.

Is this Mrs. Miriam Jaffe's school? I heard she is a HS principal in Lakewood now!! I went to ICJA (The Academy) and she was my teacher there for a few years and I can not tell you loudly or strongly enough how amazing she is. She is warm, caring, LOVING, I can not say enough about her. I am 40, I live in Baltimore now, and yet I know she remembers me because she met my step son at an event and they played Jewish geography and she stopped what she was doing and called me right then and there just to say hi.

She is the real deal. She could have taught at either of the BY high schools in Chicago where I am sure she would have been more comfortable and had an easier time, and I know they wanted her, but she stayed at ICJA for many, many years and only moved to Lakewood to be near her married kids. She gave of herself to all of us at ICJA and we really needed her. I still remember fondly one day when she was out of school for the day. My friends and I cut class because there was a sub. We went to the mall. There she was, with one of her kids. She told us proudly that she treats each of her kids to a day with her once a month or so, like one child a month, and if we won't tell the principal that she wasn't really sick, she would not tell on us either [EDITED TO CLARIFY - she did not call out sick that day, she just stam called out; she was joking with us]. We did not get in trouble for cutting class. It was just a sweet memory and let me tell you, seeing her with her child out for a nice day made SUCH a life long impact on me. I do the same for my own kids!

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:57 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
OMG WAIT. STOP.

Is this Mrs. Miriam Jaffe's school? I heard she is a HS principal in Lakewood now!! I went to ICJA (The Academy) and she was my teacher there for a few years and I can not tell you loudly or strongly enough how amazing she is. She is warm, caring, LOVING, I can not say enough about her. I am 40, I live in Baltimore now, and yet I know she remembers me because she met my step son at an event and they played Jewish geography and she stopped what she was doing and called me right then and there just to say hi.

She is the real deal. She could have taught at either of the BY high schools in Chicago where I am sure she would have been more comfortable and had an easier time, and I know they wanted her, but she stayed at ICJA for many, many years and only moved to Lakewood to be near her married kids. She gave of herself to all of us at ICJA and we really needed her. I still remember fondly one day when she was out of school for the day. My friends and I cut class because there was a sub. We went to the mall. There she was, with one of her kids. She told us proudly that she treats each of her kids to a day with her once a month or so, like one child a month, and if we won't tell the principal that she wasn't really sick, she would not tell on us either. We did not get in trouble for cutting class. It was just a sweet memory and let me tell you, seeing her with her child out for a nice day made SUCH a life long impact on me. I do the same for my own kids!

Yup, that’s her. She moved here to be near her parents, I believe. She is still that amazing, warm, caring person. Now she just has the position to make the entire school that way. She picks the staff, determines the rules and curriculum and does it all with the girls’ happiness & growth in mind.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 2:00 pm
ultramarine, I think for many Halacha-type reasons, that story should be removed.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 2:03 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
ultramarine, I think for many Halacha-type reasons, that story should be removed.

The story about when we cut class in school and she was out that day and we saw her at the mall? There was like, 10 of us. It's far from a secret. She did not tell the school she was sick, she made a joke out of it with us. Don't worry. But I clarified in my post so no one would think she had lied.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children