Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
New vs. Used
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Used luxury or new regular quality?
New item  
 73%  [ 89 ]
Used luxury item  
 26%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 121

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:11 am
with clothes absolutely
Quality is everything

Every single suit I got my husband in stores in Lakewood for 200 to 300 lasts a few months and never fits right

He got a Brooks Brother suit on Ebay for 30
He looks like a prince in it and he has it for 10 years

Walmart shoes are basically disposable
I found Mens Ferragamo in the Gemach in Lakewood, lasts for years , and hes very hard on shoes

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:16 am
I didn’t vote because I’m happy to get used things, but pretty much only if they’re free. Otherwise I usually but something cheaper but new.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:21 am
There are many second hand clothing places where I live. The highlight of my daughter's vacation last year was when we went to one of the second hand stores and she came out with a LOOOT of new things. They were new to her and to her it was so exciting that she was able to get 10 fold with the same amount of money as in a regular store where we could have bought a sweatshirt.
I dont see anythign wrong with buying used. Its very much accepted here in Israel, in every walk of life.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:25 am
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
Poshmark allows you to negotiate price by submitting an offer. EBay- simply decide what you want to pay and let auctionsniper bid for you. You win some, you lose some.

You're welcome.

What’s auctionsniper?
I feel like someone should give a class for these things.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:39 am
Depends. When we had a Goodwill store I bought almost all my everyday clothes from there, and a few Shabbosdik things, too. (They didn't have a whole lot of tzniusdik dressy things.)
We have never bought a new car in our lives, only used. I've never bought used jewelry--no, not true, I once passed a store that said "estate sale" and bought a slim gold chain for a pendant. It looked new and for all I know may have been new. Maybe they called it "estate" so people should think it was a bargain.

We are not quite dumpster divers but we do get a lot of used merchandise, some free, some we buy. There are a few things I wouldn't use secondhand: underwear, shoes, pillows, mattresses, toothbrushes, hairbrushes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy secondhand jewelry or a secondhand fur, if I were into fur.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:54 am
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
Depends. When we had a Goodwill store I bought almost all my everyday clothes from there, and a few Shabbosdik things, too. (They didn't have a whole lot of tzniusdik dressy things.)
We have never bought a new car in our lives, only used. I've never bought used jewelry--no, not true, I once passed a store that said "estate sale" and bought a slim gold chain for a pendant. It looked new and for all I know may have been new. Maybe they called it "estate" so people should think it was a bargain.

We are not quite dumpster divers but we do get a lot of used merchandise, some free, some we buy. There are a few things I wouldn't use secondhand: underwear, shoes, pillows, mattresses, toothbrushes, hairbrushes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy secondhand jewelry or a secondhand fur, if I were into fur.

Where do you buy used cars and how do you verify that they’re good?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you prefer to buy a new, standard level item (not the cheapest brand, but a decent quality item) or a used luxury item (in mostly ok condition but clearly used)?

In regards to things under $10,000 (not talking about house or cars or the like)

Does this relate to my suggestion to check ebay for leichters?

I do purchase certain vintage items. I love Urie Mandel broaches, but since they're older than I am, I'm not going to find any new ones at the local jewelry store. (I'm also quite fond of vintage Coro.)

And I've been known to stalk ebay for vintage sterling kiddush cups, mostly late 19th and early 20th century, that you can sometimes grab for under $30. I'm rescuing a part of history that might otherwise be melted down or who knows what else, and all it needs is kashering and shining.

I attend a more laid-back shul where boys don't wear blazers, but when my boys needed them, I always tried ebay, where people were selling the blazers their sons wore on Easter Sunday, but never again.

And other things, occasionally.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:00 am
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:

Always take a used car to your own mechanic to have it checked out.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:03 am
No, I'm just wondering. It was more in response to the woman who wanted a second hand bugaboo in lakewood, where I thought the accepted standard was only new. I was interested in seeing different perspectives regarding used items

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:04 am
I love buying high quality used clothes and purses in our local secondhand shops and on eBay.
I've never paid full price for a name brand purse.
I don't like buying used furniture.
Toys and books- definitely.
My friends and I all pass on our kids clothing to each other.
I buy new underwear of course, and some staples like leggings and jeans, but I'd say the majority of my pre school aged child's wardrobe is secondhand. You'd never know it.

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:51 am

It wasn't me you were asking but we have a few yidden in our community that source cars for us. Used obviously but they check them out and they have to pay for any fix ups that need doing for the first 6 months or so.
We have had good mazel with one guy here so we always use him now.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, I'm just wondering. It was more in response to the woman who wanted a second hand bugaboo in lakewood, where I thought the accepted standard was only new. I was interested in seeing different perspectives regarding used items

Newsflash. The accepted standard in Lakewood is an arbitrary myth that is propagated by a few people living here, and disregarded by the rest.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:53 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I have never bought anything used. It just grosses me out. I don't know who used it or how they used it. I just buy everything new.

Do you also take along your own linen when going on vacation, and not sit in chairs by other peoples' houses? Do you only use items made for yourself? Just wondering what the difference is.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:11 pm
amother [ Clematis ] wrote:
It wasn't me you were asking but we have a few yidden in our community that source cars for us. Used obviously but they check them out and they have to pay for any fix ups that need doing for the first 6 months or so.
We have had good mazel with one guy here so we always use him now.

That’s good to know.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:37 pm
I know s/o who won't ever buy or use anything secondhand. It grosses her out. She will, rarely, accept a sweater or a bag from immediate family, but that's about it. She was poor in childhood, all she had was secondhand and so secondhand goods bring back bad memories. Or maybe the secondhand stuff she got back then was dirty and in insultingly bad condition.

Someone once gave me a bag full of her dc outgrown clothing. She was well-off and dressed her dc in the finest. The stuff she gave me was fit only for use as kitty litter. Not even good for cleaning rags. Not one item was free of poster paint or Play-Dough hardened into rock, and some had obvious food residue. She had given anything good away to her friends and palmed the leftovers off on me. It was clearly garbage she wanted to get rid of. I mean, dirty? So I can tell what your kids had for breakfast the last time they wore this stuff? And smooshed into a bag helter-skelter exactly as if you were filling the kitchen trash, wrinkled so badly you could hardly tell what the item was supposed to be, so even if I had found anything wearable I'd have to wash and iron it first? Moichel toives, Lady Bountiful, keep your trash to yourself. My door isn't labeled City Dump.

My mother always told me that poor people feel bad enough about having to accept hand-me-downs. You must make sure you give them things with respect. You wash, iron and neatly fold clothing and linens before giving them away, or at least wash and fold, smoothing out the creases before you fold. You don't give away anything stained, torn or missing fasteners, be they hooks and eyes, snaps, buttons or zippers. You make sure shoes are polished and have laces and good heels, not run-down ones. You clean off appliances.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:46 pm
Generally new only. Only once so far was did I ok myself to buy a carriage from place that sells excellent condition used baby gear. Well, turns out to be, they had a brand new out of the box never used stroller. It was an expensive carriage for an excellent price.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:54 pm
What’s auctionsniper?
I feel like someone should give a class for these things.

It's a site that puts in your bid at the last minute so you don't drive up the price

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:58 pm
For all of you that are experienced at this, does it pay to buy a designer watch or jewelry on eBay or can you get scammed?

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:59 pm
It depends on what it is. And not just luxury or not luxury items. I will get used things for some items.
Carseats, appliances etc- only it was a close family member giving it away so I trust them when they said the quality or that the car seat has never been in an accident.

Mattresses? Nope. Bedbugs, fleas etc. Too hard to clean. Shoes? No.

Toys, books, outerwear, clothing (besides underwear etc), stroller, furniture like a bookcase/table/desk -- sure! If we need it, if it is in good condition. Why not?

It has nothing to do if I could afford it new. Why waste money on a new dining room table when my neighbor is moving, has a good one and will give it to me/sell for cheap? Is there a difference between used books or new books? I love a good used bookstore!
Why buy new matchbox cars if someone is giving them away? Once I stick them in our car container can you tell?

And yes, I buy plenty of new things too. My kids dont only get used, leftover toys. Most is actually new. I get them what they need and some of what they want. And they are fine with it. They know a bag of Duplo is a bag of Duplo. Even if 1 piece might have a sticker or marker on it. My son loves the used book store as he gets 5 instead of 1. My daughter loves the barely worn dress our friend gave us because her kid outgrew it too quickly.
And we give away our stuff to others. Saves money, less in landfills, and helps out a neighbor.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 3:01 pm
There are some things I’ll buy used and some things I’ll buy new. My eldest daughter got me and the younger ones into thrifting. We’ve been finding a lot of things, from clothes to furniture to decor, in excellent condition for super cheap.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics