Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to dispose of expired passports?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 2:22 pm
How am I supposed to dispose of expired passports? Or am I supposed to save them for any reason?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:03 pm
I use mine as ID. It's perfect- accepted everywhere and I have my Vax card pasted inside. Much easier to pull put than driver's license.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:08 pm
Keep till you get a new one, then shred.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:18 pm
It's actually property of the US government. I was told by an embassy official to keep it.
"The U.S. State Department advises people against disposing of their old passport, but if you really feel the need to there are a few things to note before you just throw it in the trash. “Keep in mind that most modern passports are made to be very durable and are difficult to destroy,” says Worster. “They are deliberately made this way so that they are not accidentally ruined or easily forged. In essence, you would probably need to fully burn it to ashes to effectively destroy it.” You can also send your expired passport to the U.S. State Department passport agency and request that they destroy it. Worster also notes that some newer passports are made with RFID chip which contains all of your personal information. Tampering with the chip is considered illegal, so bottom line: you shouldn’t get rid of your expired passport."

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:41 pm
I needed to submit the expired ones when renewing my children’s passports.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:45 pm
My father created a family archive, and things like expired passports all go in there. He hopes the passport photos and records of our travels will be of interest to the great grandchildren.

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:46 pm
I save them. They can be used in case of emergency. Also my kids love seeing their baby passport pictures.

breindy s

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:53 pm
I shredded ours

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 6:56 am
cnc wrote:
I needed to submit the expired ones when renewing my children’s passports.

They usually return it, as far as I know.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:51 am
Keep it. You never known when you might need it to file for a replacement, verify identity, etc.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:01 am
I’m a huge fan of throwing things out, but expired passports need to be kept. They don’t take up that much room.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:39 am
I keep the most recently expired passport. No need to keep a lifetime's worth. Shredding them is a pain to do, so I would not want to be faced with a pile of them to do at once.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics