Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How important is it really
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 7:43 pm
I’m a FTM and I have a one year old. She recently became very picky about what she wants to eat.
DH and I aren’t healthy eaters at all, but I always offer her healthier foods.
I’m not a healthy eater and I really struggle to understand why it’s so crucial that babies/kids eat ONLY healthy options.
I’m ok with my baby having a cookie, or cake or ice cream. Of course I don’t offer this to her often, but if it’s nearby and she wants it I don’t hesitate.

So my question is, how important is it really that she has Greek yogurt and not the yummy kids yogurt that has sugar? She rather eat fries than chicken. How bad is it if I let her just eat the fries?

I care so much about her and I want her to be healthy, but I need a realistic perspective into healthy eating for toddlers. It’s especially hard now that she got so picky and refuses so many of the foods I give her.

Any and all insight appreciated.
Even good suggestions would be great! Thanks

bsy

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:06 pm
My concern with my kids is that once they eat the junk, the healthier options are no longer options. Once they have sugary yogurts, they can never eat less sweet yogurt. It becomes a constant battle .

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:10 pm
bsy wrote:
My concern with my kids is that once they eat the junk, the healthier options are no longer options. Once they have sugary yogurts, they can never eat less sweet yogurt. It becomes a constant battle .

Agreed. When I give my babies just plainer foods they think the plainer foods are great.

Esty 4

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:10 pm
the only way to have your kids eat healthy is not to have too much junk laying around... can't expect kids to make healthy choices

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:11 pm
I try to give my kids healthy till they learn to like the foods and eat well. I don't want to get them used to not so healthy foods and then not like healthy foods. Though I do give a cookie here and there. I don't think it's bad.

bsy

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:12 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Agreed. When I give my babies just plainer foods they think the plainer foods are great.

The issue is when they go to school or someone else gives them the unhealthy options. Yogurt is a big example for my kids. Sugary yogurt is basically ice cream. Not a healthy breakfast or supper. But obviously it tastes much better ... It's a hard battle.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:14 pm
The goal is to give her a balanced diet, I think dessert is a fun part of life but in moderation.

Last edited by dancingqueen on Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:17 pm
I really don’t offer her sugary or sweet things in general.
But recently she got so picky and wasn’t eating anything substantial the entire day. So I put her in front of the pantry and let her pick something. She went for a cookie, so I let her have it and she gobbled it all up.
But when I offered her fruit, chicken, avocado and yogurt before that, she spit it out or pushed it away.

She will always eat bamba if all else fails. I’m not concerned that she’ll get into a junky eating habit because I really don’t offer it often enough.
It’s more about the fact that when she refuses everything else, how bad is it if I give her something that’s less ideal?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:18 pm
Can someone share a typical daily diet of a one year old?
I need inspiration.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But recently she got so picky and wasn’t eating anything substantial the entire day. So I put her in front of the pantry and let her pick something. She went for a cookie, so I let her have it and she gobbled it all up.
But when I offered her fruit, chicken, avocado and yogurt before that, she spit it out or pushed it away.

She will always eat bamba if all else fails. I’m not concerned that she’ll get into a junky eating habit because I really don’t offer it often enough.
It’s more about the fact that when she refuses everything else, how bad is it if I give her something that’s less ideal?

It incentives her to constantly refuse the chicken, soup, rice or veggies. She’ll learn hey, if it say no to x, I get. A cookie! Yay! I like cookies better than x anyway!

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need inspiration.

Breakfast: oatmeal with cut up fruit, yogurt, cheese string, scrambled egg, hard boiled egg..
lunch: leftovers from supper the night before.
today my baby had couscous, chopped liver, boiled carrots. chicken and potatoes. pasta and cheese. chopped meat and pasta. hard boiled egg, tuna patties, diced tomatoes...
supper: whatever we eat

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:24 pm
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
It incentives her to constantly refuse the chicken, soup, rice or veggies. She’ll learn hey, if it say no to x, I get. A cookie! Yay! I like cookies better than x anyway!

I hear you. But she’s a stubborn little one. You’re suggesting I should let her refuse the food/not eat rather than eat a cookie?
I just don’t want her to starve. I feel like something is better than nothing. But if it teaches her the wrong message then I should probably stop giving in to her. But how does that help if she then simply won’t eat?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:27 pm
Today I gave her a tuna sandwich for late lunch and she B”H ate it.
For dinner I gave her meatballs and she kept spitting it out. I tried giving her sweet potato and she was throwing it. So I took her out of her high chair, let her play, and put her to sleep with a bottle of milk.
She skipped dinner because she refused to eat what I made. I will go crazy if I have to go through every food option every meal, or give her the same meal 3 times a day.
Was what I did ok?
It was really drilled into my head that she needs 3 full meals, all very healthy.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:28 pm
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
Breakfast: oatmeal with cut up fruit, yogurt, cheese string, scrambled egg, hard boiled egg..
lunch: leftovers from supper the night before.
today my baby had couscous, chopped liver, boiled carrots. chicken and potatoes. pasta and cheese. chopped meat and pasta. hard boiled egg, tuna patties, diced tomatoes...
supper: whatever we eat

Thank you for this

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear you. But she’s a stubborn little one. You’re suggesting I should let her refuse the food/not eat rather than eat a cookie?
I just don’t want her to starve. I feel like something is better than nothing. But if it teaches her the wrong message then I should probably stop giving in to her. But how does that help if she then simply won’t eat?
She won’t starve. She’ll eat when she’s hungry. All toddlers go through this stage. Saying no to foods is part of developing eating habits.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need inspiration.

My baby is very picky and has a very small range of things that he likes. He eats the same things every day.
Breakfast: whole wheat toast with cream cheese
Lunch: greek yogurt
Dinner: chicken cutlet
He snacks on cucumber, clementines, grapes, cheese, cheerios, pretzels.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I serve 3 things at every meal. Example (your dinner) meatballs, rice and sweet potato. You don’t have to eat all but you have to eat 1. Of my baby refuses all I assume he’s not hungry. I personally have zero issue giving him a cookie on shabbos for example but it is not offered as an alternative to refusing dinner.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:50 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I just needed some reassurance that my baby is normal and it’s ok to refuse food, and also ok to eat a cookie once in a while.

I guess I can assume if she’s hungry enough she’ll eat something that I offer her. I think I’m too on top of her eating and I need to chill out a bit.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:32 pm
If she doesn't want to eat something, don't get too stressed. She will pick up on that and it can become a real power struggle. You want to keep the topic of food very light and stress-free. And hide the cookies and other junk.

Also, if you find a few healthy things she likes, it's ok to serve them repeatedly. Of course also try new things, and keep in mind that it can take quite a while until she gets used to a new taste. So if she spits it out, try again another day, and another day.

One more thing, kids really observe a lot and do what they see. This might be a good time for you and dh to try eating a bit more healthfully. If she sees you eating those foods, she will be more interested!!

Zehava

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 9:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Give her toddler formula if she’s very picky. It ensures that she’ll get her vital nutrients so you won’t have such pressure for her to eat.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics