Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dressing inappropriately for weather
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:21 am
I waited 20 minutes in the freezing cold today in my busy Brooklyn street.

The girls rushing by to go to school were not wearing hat, scarves and gloves.

Many young children were not dressed warm enough for this bitterly cold morning.

Why?

Why do 95% of upper elementary girls and high school girl not wear hats? It's insane!

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:24 am
I guess they don't care. You see this phenomenon well past elementary school age.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:25 am
Vanity.

My 7 year old always complains that the she’s the only one who has to wear any of that and she negotiates with me daily about

I wish the teachers would encourage it for recess and dismissal.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:33 am
Some kids just don't mind the cold that much. Older kids are able to choose what they wear. For younger kids, their parents "choose their battles." Or maybe the very youngest dropped their mittens in the way. Or maybe some parents didn't double-check the weather before starting out.

Also, you were standing, they were rushing. Of course you felt cold. The children were probably at school before they realized how cold their hands were. Or were rushing because they started to feel cold, and learned a life lesson.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:36 am
There were high school boys out hitching this morning at 7 am in 15 degree temp wearing only a scarf.
It’s crazy.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:36 am
sky wrote:
There were high school boys out hitching this morning at 7 am in 15 degree temp wearing only a scarf.
It’s crazy.

Yeah, they think they're cool and macho. Crazy.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:38 am
Some people just don’t feel as cold.

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:38 am
Because “no one” does. Ridiculous. They’re embarrassed to. I’m hoping after todays weather that changes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:45 am
It was 18 degrees Fahrenheit. Everyone is cold!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:47 am
I hate wearing coats. I often go without or just a light jacket. I never wear a scarf or gloves, I don’t even own any. I just don’t feel as cold as other people do.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:49 am
Iymnok wrote:
Some people just don’t feel as cold.

I think that children are warmer than adults.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:50 am
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
Because “no one” does. Ridiculous. They’re embarrassed to. I’m hoping after todays weather that changes.

I have daughters in BY elementary and high school and they both wear hats with no "shame".

happy chick

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:53 am
And to make matters worse, a lot of the high school girls rush out of the shower straight into the bitter cold with sopping wet hair.

Whoever is saying, some people don't feel the cold as much as others, body heat still escapes through the head. It's really not safe in such weather conditions. But, alas, there's only so much arguing with a teen-ager.

Little ones not dressed appropriately, is totally on the mom. I don't care what the child wears under their coat, it can be mismatched, it can be old worn out hand-me-downs. But dressing appropriately for the weather is a matter of health.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:53 am
As long as they're older and have the option to put it on..

Why at my daughters bus stop , are there girls p-2nd graders wearing knee socks to school today??

Or in my sons playgroup there are still kids with short socks and thin cotton dresses on??
A 3 year old, and no she didnt insist on wearing that dress..)
I think some mothers are oblivious to the weather and thinks the child needs to suffer

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:54 am
I can still remember my parents forcing me to wear the "monkey hat".
Still traumatized. (Not)
But I won't force my kid to wear something they say Noone is wearing....

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:54 am
My boys are usually not so still outdoors Smile. I buy them thinner coats, so they can play ball easily. Even with a thin coat, I remind them to take a coat everyday. My rule is it's has to come with you to school, doesn't matter if coat is held or in knapsack.
In regards to hats, gloves etc. Even my colder daughter thinks it's a hassle. She'd rather use her hood if needed.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:00 am
I live in a very cold, snowy place. As a kid I never wore hats, gloves, scarves, etc. I also hated wearing tights- so I just wore knee socks. I just wasn't cold. Thank goodness my parents didn't bother me about this. As I got older, I have become more sensitive to cold but still don't do the whole massive winter gear thing. Not worth the fight in my opinion.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:07 am
I never wore winter gear as a child and I still don’t care for it. I enjoy the cold for short periods of time. If I’m only running to my car ,down the block, or onto a warm bus, I don’t bother wasting time putting on a jacket and hat. I also do not wear socks most of the time. My children dress very warm with hats, snow pants, gloves, scarves , boots sweatshirts…because my husband hates the cold and is very into dressing them warm.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:10 am
Many kids are uncomfortable or run hot. Trust me if they were too cold they would put on winter gear. My kids who don’t like wear anything bundle up when they feel the need. And kids walking are not as cold as you standing in one place.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:11 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
As long as they're older and have the option to put it on..

Why at my daughters bus stop , are there girls p-2nd graders wearing knee socks to school today??

Or in my sons playgroup there are still kids with short socks and thin cotton dresses on??
A 3 year old, and no she didnt insist on wearing that dress..)
I think some mothers are oblivious to the weather and thinks the child needs to suffer

How do you know the kid didn’t insist? Maybe she sweats indoors in the heat and this is the healthiest way to dress her. People need to keep their noses on their own faces.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics