Home

Cleaning lady works really quick!
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

twolilgirlies

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:02 am
I know this should be the worst of issue:)

I have someone coming for 4 hours at beginning of the week (also have her for less hours at end of week)

I have a small house with 2.5 bath house. she manages to make all the beds and change some linen, vacuum, wash all bathrooms, mop floors and wash some dishes left in sink plus the clean fridge in about 2 hours.

She also folds all my laundry and irons shirts etc. for another hour plus. she's always left with extra time at the end. I usually leave in mid of her hours to go to work but the past few times I've been home and realized that she is done super early.

I can't cut hours because this is the slot I have. the thing is anything 'extra' I give her (clean out a closet, wipe down windows etc takes her literally 10 min. she rushes like crazy and obviously doesn't do the best job but I don't care so much anymore about that...

what other tasks can I build into her weekly schedule that would take up some more time? I can't seem to think of what else to give her!

happy chick

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:04 am
Clean out the fridge. I hate doing that and my cleaning lady doesn't usually have time for that.

amf

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:07 am
Polish silver, fold laundry, dust the light fixtures, wash the windows (not a winter job, have her do inside and outside)

All things that I never get to but would love to have done

sabertooth

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:07 am
She can peel vegetables

twolilgirlies

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:29 am
Thanks!
she cleans the fridge every week or two already.
she polishes on thursday when she comes again.
she peels veg sometimes but takes her 5 min.
she folds all my laundry already.

she washes windows every so often but also literally takes her 10 min (I thought I work fast...listen, she def isn't thorough but at least she shows up!)

what do people give their ladies that come multiple times a week for a good few hours?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:01 am
Honestly if you have a reliable cleaner who does a decent job don't worry about filling out the hours. I pay my cleaning lady a flat rate to clean my place - how long it takes her is her business so long as the work is being done.

If there is a particular area that I see that she is neglecting or has missed, I just casually mention it the next time she comes as she is very pleasant to deal with so it is not as if she is surly or non-responsive. I do make it a point to "suggest" rather than sound recriminating as if she isn't doing a good job. For example, a bag of frozen peas spilled in my freezer and I asked her to clean them out but she missed a few so the next time she came I just asked whether she could clean out the peas without mentioning that they were left over. If it had been something she was consistently missing I would ask nicely to do it every week when she came.

As I said I am glad that I don't have to worry about exact time she works because I am not great at micromanaging. This isn't a criticism of OP or anyone else but just knowing what I am comfortable with and I just prefer having someone come in and do the job without my worrying about telling her what to do.

In terms of extra tasks just look around each room and see if there are small neglected things that she might do. Is she dusting the top of doors or on top shelves where dust can accumulate for example? Do you trust her to wash tchotchkes as these do have to be washed occasionally - another example.

Window

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:50 am
Microwave
Oven
Toaster oven
Freezer
In between visits, keep an eye out for any spots that need a Deep Cleaning. Write them Down so you don’t forget

Living Princess

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:53 am
Wash your walls

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:19 am
Dust the moldings in each room . Wash around the doorknobs, light switches , cabinet handles and other high touch areas. Empty one kitchen cabinet per week , wipe down shelves and put back items.

geemum

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:22 am
Move beds and other bedroom furniture to vacuum under/behind, clean outside and handles of closets, waste paper baskets, bedside tables, Windows and Sills, ceiling fans

Banisters
Wash or polish faux flowers
Picture frames and other wall hangings, hanging light fittings (including crystal of chandelier), mirrors

Deep clean in bathroom: Open drains in bath and shower, bathroom heaters, toilet roll and brush holder, toothbrush holders, towel racks

Kitchen drawers and pantry or food cupboard ... (take out wipe and put back), using a toothbrush clean bottom edge of floor cabinets, ovens, crumb tray roster oven, descale kettle, Shabbat platta and urn, dishwasher seal and filter, underneath of kitchen table (drips from food garden and accumulate), kitchen chairs, kitchen dustbin deep clean (in the bath? or with bleach)

Laundry machine drawer and rubber seal and door
Vacuum car
Kids school bags
Wash toys

Maryann

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:24 am
I'm desperate for a cleaning lady like this!! Does she have time for me (if we in same location?!)

twolilgirlies

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:10 am
geemum wrote:
Move beds and other bedroom furniture to vacuum under/behind, clean outside and handles of closets, waste paper baskets, bedside tables, Windows and Sills, ceiling fans

Banisters
Wash or polish faux flowers
Picture frames and other wall hangings, hanging light fittings (including crystal of chandelier), mirrors

Deep clean in bathroom: Open drains in bath and shower, bathroom heaters, toilet roll and brush holder, toothbrush holders, towel racks

Kitchen drawers and pantry or food cupboard ... (take out wipe and put back), using a toothbrush clean bottom edge of floor cabinets, ovens, crumb tray roster oven, descale kettle, Shabbat platta and urn, dishwasher seal and filter, underneath of kitchen table (drips from food garden and accumulate), kitchen chairs, kitchen dustbin deep clean (in the bath? or with bleach)

Laundry machine drawer and rubber seal and door
Vacuum car
Kids school bags
Wash toys

Wow thanks.
As an aside, deep cleaning things won’t work. She’s too quick and not thorough that if id give her something like above you prob won’t be able to tell after that she actually washed it down etc Smile

twolilgirlies

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:11 am
Maryann wrote:
I'm desperate for a cleaning lady like this!! Does she have time for me (if we in same location?!)

No extra time…sorry!!!

Forward

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:52 am
Gosh I know this is an open forum and ppl have the right to free speech and all but can’t you tune in to your audience a drop? Is it not once a week that someone posts she’s desperate for a cleaning lady altogether?
Idk I would be a drop more considerate and sensitive to my surroundings…. Unless ur TRULY at a complete loss and unsure of how to proceed.

octopus

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:56 am
It doesn't bother me. I gave up on cleaning ladies but I don't mind reading about other people's experiences. And I really need the help. I just hate the revolving door of getting someone new, they come one or two times and I train them in, and then they never come back.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:02 pm
Gmail wrote:
Gosh I know this is an open forum and ppl have the right to free speech and all but can’t you tune in to your audience a drop? Is it not once a week that someone posts she’s desperate for a cleaning lady altogether?
Idk I would be a drop more considerate and sensitive to my surroundings…. Unless ur TRULY at a complete loss and unsure of how to proceed.

Not trying to put you on the spot but is concern because people have different economic situations so someone might be struggling to purchase necessities whereas someone else has lots of discretionary income?

I think a lot of threads could theoretically be triggering to someone whose situation is difficult - questions about "normal" childhood issues might be difficult for someone who has fertility issues or whose child is very sick.

Questions about furniture or appliances etc. might be difficult for someone who can't afford anything.

People with relatively "trivial" emotional issues with spouse or friends might trigger someone who has serious marital issues or serious problems in other aspects of one's life.

I think it is difficult to censor oneself because potential people on an Internet forum might be triggered. In real life I am extremely careful not to complain to friends about trivial matters when I know they have more serious problems. It is like when someone who has 10 pounds to lose complains to a person who has 50 or more pounds to lose because it makes the other woman probably feel terrible. But on imamother it is perfectly ok (at least in my opinion) for a relatively slender woman who has 10 or so pounds to lose to kvetch even if she would be tone deaf if she did it in real life.

geemum

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:04 pm
I think you can show her how to deep clean....explain to her to do slow and extra clean!

Otherwise I would use the time for help in kitchen prep....batch of soup veg, peeling potatoes for kigel, vegetable crudités, rolling meatballs etc

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:26 pm
Start her on the Pesach cleaning. It's only three months...

twolilgirlies

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:56 pm
Gmail wrote:

I apologize if I hurt anyone with this thread. Totally not intentional. But- I think you can say this about any thread that ppl post. Vacations, school choices, shopping etc. no offense but click out of this post if it’s hurtful to you.

And also, this is the first time in my ten yrs Of marriage that I have had cleaning help. It’s only been going on the last few months. And I literally scrimp in order to pay her each week. And daven each day anew that she continues showing up. So I’m not taking it for granted…

And the responses on this thread were actually really helpful!

happytobemom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:41 pm
oven and stovetop
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry