Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Am I the only one who didn't find the magic?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:59 am
Everyone is doing keto or cutting out carbs and sugar and they all talk about this magically no more cravings thing.
Why didn't it happen to me?
I went on the same eating plan as they did, they are blissfully craving free, committed, and smaller and I couldn't do it. After 7 weeks the cravings consumed me, my digestive system couldn't handle the keto foods and I just binged my way back up the 12 lbs I lost.
Every thread here, every post on social media, every conversation in real life, there is one suggestion go off carbs. Andrea you comment on every post with the same explanation and I wish I could be you. I wish it worked. Why doesn't it work for me?
For me the cravings built and built and built until I drowned in them.

I don't want to be skinny, I want to not crave so I can actually stick to a healthy eating plan.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:53 am
I don't know if this resonates with you but I'd had the same thing happen when I did keto + intermittent fasting. When I talked to a nutritionist they said that for me, holding off to eat until x time of day let the hunger and cravings build and then even once I ate they didn't go away well enough. Something like that. Some people aren't hungry in the morning anyway, I always am- so the advice I got was to keep the food plan but eat breakfast at a normal time when I'm hungry and that would make the rest of the day easier. It has helped.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:14 pm
Didn’t work for me

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:19 pm
It's possible you don't have carb cravings per se but actually have higher carbohydrate needs than most people.

amother
Firethorn

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:25 pm
Doesn't work for me either.

I'm doing portion control and calorie counting along with a personal trainer and seeing a nutritionist.

So far I lost 15 pounds. It's slow but it works and I can eat whatever I want in moderation.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:27 pm
People's bodies react differently to stuff. For example, with fasting, some people's bodies react with "ok, now is not eating time, so we'll burn some fat now and trust there will be food later" while others react with "omg, FAMINE! We'd better conserve energy! No extras! Can't burn a single extra calorie. THE ONLY PRIORITY IS FINDING A FOOD SOURCE!" Low carb tends to work for people with insulin resistance. OP, is that the case for you? If you don't have insulin resistance and your digestive system does better with some carbs, it might not just not be right for you.

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:28 pm
Didn't work for me either. Not so much the cravings, but after months and months, I still could never feel full without a certain amount of carbs. People kept saying it would go away but it didn't.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everyone is doing keto or cutting out carbs and sugar and they all talk about this magically no more cravings thing.
I went on the same eating plan as they did, they are blissfully craving free, committed, and smaller and I couldn't do it. After 7 weeks the cravings consumed me, my digestive system couldn't handle the keto foods and I just binged my way back up the 12 lbs I lost.
Every thread here, every post on social media, every conversation in real life, there is one suggestion go off carbs. Andrea you comment on every post with the same explanation and I wish I could be you. I wish it worked. Why doesn't it work for me?

I don't want to be skinny, I want to not crave so I can actually stick to a healthy eating plan.

Can you post a day’s sample menu
Did you hit real ketosis and were you fat adapted
If you have cravings that means you need to increase fat, not protein, not fatty protein, not vegetable, actual FAT.
KETO - is HIGH FAT- Moderate protein- Carbs under 20grams TOTAL (not net grams)
Some ppl need to go even lower than that depending on how insulin resistant they are.
But the lower the carbs the more FAT you need in order to become fat adapted

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:38 pm
Keto can be really hard on the gut and on the adrenals. It’s not ideal for everyone.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Did you eat things labelled keto? Sweet things even if keto? Fruit? Grains? Starches? Processed foods?

I don’t. I believe that is the reason I am ok. Also eating salty fatty things when you crave is important and EATING ENOUGG TO BE SATIATED.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:57 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
Didn't work for me either. Not so much the cravings, but after months and months, I still could never feel full without a certain amount of carbs. People kept saying it would go away but it didn't.

We’re you eating enough fat and protein? Because of you were also counting calories then you were probably just hungry period.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:09 pm
Ate the same menu as my friends. High fat, salt, protein. No processed foods.
I have no idea if I'm insulin resistant. I'm fat and I crave carbs.
The fat was killing my stomach but if it killed the cravings it would be worth it.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:20 pm
Imo, some people do better on meditteranean diet. Similar but different. Not keto. Some people do better with a slow incremental step by step changes, not all at once.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:38 pm
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
Imo, some people do better on meditteranean diet. Similar but different. Not keto. Some people do better with a slow incremental step by step changes, not all at once.

Is the Mediterranean diet fish based. I don't like fish much. I can eat it here and there but not as a staple.

jk7

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:15 pm
It does not work for everyone, everyone’s body has different chemistry and needs and this way of eating is too hard on some people. When I tried keto type diet I had the worst headaches and fatigue and it did not go away or my body get used to it like people said it would.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ate the same menu as my friends. High fat, salt, protein. No processed foods.
I have no idea if I'm insulin resistant. I'm fat and I crave carbs.
The fat was killing my stomach but if it killed the cravings it would be worth it.

We’re you hungry or full?

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is the Mediterranean diet fish based. I don't like fish much. I can eat it here and there but not as a staple.

You dont need to eat foods you dont like. Chicken is good too.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I’ve been doing it and lost over 70 lbs BH. I’d bet you didn’t do it properly because I’ve struggled and failed in every diet with cravings, hunger and deprivation, except this one! One com one mistake people make is they don’t eat enough fats, thinking that’ll make them gain, but on the contrary, you need all the fats and the proteins to curb your cravings.
If you follow it right, eat all the required fats, drink at least 8 glasses water, etc.you don’t have hunger or cravings. Yes, like magic.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:43 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
I’ve been doing it and lost over 70 lbs BH. I’d bet you didn’t do it properly because I’ve struggled and failed in every diet with cravings, hunger and deprivation, except this one! One com one mistake people make is they don’t eat enough fats, thinking that’ll make them gain, but on the contrary, you need all the fats and the proteins to curb your cravings.
If you follow it right, eat all the required fats, drink at least 8 glasses water, etc.you don’t have hunger or cravings. Yes, like magic.

How obnoxious. This is exactly what I'm talking about. There's this shaming in the weightloss community that if you aren't doing keto you're less than and if it's not magic you're doing it wrong.

I know for a fact that I wasn't doing it wrong. My friends and I did it together. I ate all the right things, I drink 10-12 cups of water a day. All I felt was sick to my stomach, cramps, and intense cravings for carbs. No magic. The weight dropped. I lost 12 lbs in 7 weeks. But I felt horrible.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 4:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How obnoxious. This is exactly what I'm talking about. There's this shaming in the weightloss community that if you aren't doing keto you're less than and if it's not magic you're doing it wrong.

I know for a fact that I wasn't doing it wrong. My friends and I did it together. I ate all the right things, I drink 10-12 cups of water a day. All I felt was sick to my stomach, cramps, and intense cravings for carbs. No magic. The weight dropped. I lost 12 lbs in 7 weeks. But I felt horrible.

Yes that was obnoxious. What it sounds like you are describing is keto flu. That’s is solved by salt and mostly caused by dehydration when your body lets go of the extra fluid it’s holding. You might have needed more salt than you were taking.

I think there’s a huge difference between shaming and trouble shooting. I hope you are understanding I do the latter.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise