Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Am I the only one who didn't find the magic?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm responding to the poster who did tell me I was doing it wrong and yes it is magic.

I followed the program, I didn't make up amounts, I'm just giving examples of what I may have eaten. the carb count was taken into consideration at the time. I tried cream and I threw up. The high fat keto requires doesn't agree with me. Over the 7 weeks it didn't get better it got worse.

What do you mean too much protein can spike insulin? I never heard that.

Either way, I really wished there was another answer, another way to get to that magic place of no cravings that worked for me. But every time I look for advice on losing weight and managing cravings I'm pointed to keto. There has got to be other options. I hope. I think.

In the absence of carbs the body will use excess exogenous protein and turn that into sugar
You need to eat just enough to support daily break down

There is a calculation 1g per every KG of LEAN body mass
This is why I say that Keto should be customized

Also IMHO- ppl should not use Keto just for Weightloss. The Keto diet is a theraputic diet to heel some underlying health issue
An added bonus COULD be Weightloss

BubblyBubby

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:55 am
Low carb diets might be good for some people, but it is not the panacea.

Actually, it has risks, of eating too much protein or too much fat, which can have negative effects (e.g. gall stones or gout)

You do you, if low carb suits some users here, all the better for them.

Keto, in my opinion, is not a good idea... no-one should push low carb so far as to produce ketones.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:58 am
BubblyBubby wrote:

Actually, it has risks, of eating too much protein or too much fat, which can have negative effects (e.g. gall stones or gout)

Keto, in my opinion, is not a good idea... no-one should push low carb so far as to produce ketones.

Ketosis and Ketoacidosis is 2 different things
Ketosis has its therapeutic place.

The OP needs to understand where cravings comes from
If it’s a physiological source then it’s caused by insulin
If it’s psychological then it’s emotional eating and needs to be dealt with differently
In my case it’s both
But I also suffer from chronic inflammation, RA, so that’s why I stick to Keto

BTW- nausea just means you over did your fats, but if you overdo your fats, protein, and a little over your carb, that’s a recipe for disaster

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:04 am
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
Ketosis and Ketoacidosis is 2 different things
Ketosis has its therapeutic place.

The OP needs to understand where cravings comes from
If it’s a physiological source then it’s caused by insulin
If it’s psychological then it’s emotional eating and needs to be dealt with differently
In my case it’s both
But I also suffer from chronic inflammation, RA, so that’s why I stick to Keto

BTW- nausea just means you over did your fats, but if you overdo your fats, protein, and a little over your carb, that’s a recipe for disaster

BubblyBubby

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 10:42 am
For me, the way to go is "eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not", "high satiety food" (which often are lean proteins, like white fish, chicken breast)", "diversity, many colours, many different kinds of fruit and veggies (I try to eat 10, 15 or even 20 different types of veggies and fruit in one meal)" "low glycemic index (I.e. whole grain or veggies rather than white flour or sugar) "enjoy treats slowly, in small quantities", and most importantly: move, exercise.

So I think that "low carb" has some merit, in replacing calorie dense carbs with veggies, which are less dense in calories, but have more micronutrients, or with whole grain products which get digested slower and therefore don't cause a rapid increase and then decrease in blood sugar levels and blood insuline levels.

On the other hand, I think one should not exagerate.

I think that low carb is unhealthy if it does not include enough veggies.
I don't think it's a good idea to forbid fruit, or to limit them too much.
I think that it is counterproductive to get to a point where sugar supply is so low that the body has to go into ketosis, which causes headaches or lightheadedness...
And I think that there is no reason to obsess about carbs, in general...

Humans are very adaptable, there is a wide variety of ways to eat and live healthyly, everyone should find what is best for them.

In general, it's better not to try and lose weight, since the yoyo effect is so prevalent that most people end up heavier than before they started around 2 years after the diet. Many very obese people get to their excessive weight BECAUSE of their diets, and not in spite of them. That is old news, I read it in a medical book about nutrition more than 20 years ago. But any doctor will confirm it today.

Rather than losing weight, one should try to get in good shape (exercice), the factors linked to fitness and endurence are more determining for good health than pure weight.

Also, exercice somehow takes away cravings, at least in me...

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:07 am
BubblyBubby wrote:

Insulin resistance causes both gout and gall stones. Hall stones are also caused by not enough fat.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:23 am
BubblyBubby wrote:
For me, the way to go is "eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not", "high satiety food" (which often are lean proteins, like white fish, chicken breast)", "diversity, many colours, many different kinds of fruit and veggies (I try to eat 10, 15 or even 20 different types of veggies and fruit in one meal)" "low glycemic index (I.e. whole grain or veggies rather than white flour or sugar) "enjoy treats slowly, in small quantities", and most importantly: move, exercise.

So I think that "low carb" has some merit, in replacing calorie dense carbs with veggies, which are less dense in calories, but have more micronutrients, or with whole grain products which get digested slower and therefore don't cause a rapid increase and then decrease in blood sugar levels and blood insuline levels.

On the other hand, I think one should not exagerate.

I think that low carb is unhealthy if it does not include enough veggies.
I don't think it's a good idea to forbid fruit, or to limit them too much.
I think that it is counterproductive to get to a point where sugar supply is so low that the body has to go into ketosis, which causes headaches or lightheadedness...
And I think that there is no reason to obsess about carbs, in general...

Humans are very adaptable, there is a wide variety of ways to eat and live healthyly, everyone should find what is best for them.

In general, it's better not to try and lose weight, since the yoyo effect is so prevalent that most people end up heavier than before they started around 2 years after the diet. Many very obese people get to their excessive weight BECAUSE of their diets, and not in spite of them. That is old news, I read it in a medical book about nutrition more than 20 years ago. But any doctor will confirm it today.

Rather than losing weight, one should try to get in good shape (exercice), the factors linked to fitness and endurence are more determining for good health than pure weight.

Also, exercice somehow takes away cravings, at least in me...

Applause Applause Applause Applause

If you’re body isn’t happy doing keto, don’t do it!
If it works for some, it doesn’t mean it works for everyone!

Find your own happy place xx

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any recommendations of vitamins?

From the book practical paleo

Ugh it posted upside down idk how to fix it

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:59 am

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:59 am
Testing for deficiency is also an option.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:07 pm
Thank you melon

Yes bloodwork is super helpful. I was always really low in vitamin d and thought it didn’t matter but I feel so much better now that I’m taking supplements and am at normal levels.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:01 pm
Every single one of you who’s doing keto should check your creatinine levels.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:49 pm
sequoia wrote:
Every single one of you who’s doing keto should check your creatinine levels.

everyone who is insulin resistant should be checking them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:42 pm
andrea levy wrote:
everyone who is insulin resistant should be checking them.

How do you know if you are insulin resistant? Assuming your sugar levels and bloodwork are normal.

BubblyBubby

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you know if you are insulin resistant? Assuming your sugar levels and bloodwork are normal.

There is a test for this. I think it's called a "clamp".

They give you sugar and look how your insuline levels and blood sugar levels evolve with time.
I think you can also test fasting insuline levels... if they are high, it's not good.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 12:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Remember that insulin is the fat storing hormone
https://greatriverchiro.com/20.....klist

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 1:39 pm
OP, I would maybe suggest going the opposite direction entirely and see how you feel. Look into whole foods plant based (WFPB) diet. Google the starch solution. Low calorie density as opposed to calorie counting. The 50/50 plate method. Some people love it and get great weight loss results. I’m a big believer in different diets working for different people. There doesn’t have to be a one size fits all.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 11:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Baseline insulin test. Then periodically checking it. There are also physical signs.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 11:14 pm
BubblyBubby wrote:
There is a test for this. I think it's called a "clamp".

They give you sugar and look how your insuline levels and blood sugar levels evolve with time.
I think you can also test fasting insuline levels... if they are high, it's not good.

So funny. I’ve never seen this expression except in scientific papers.

Here’s an explanation of the HOMA IR.

https://labs.selfdecode.com/blog/homa-ir/

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 1:26 am
OP, it sounds like you have incredible discipline and willpower. I can't image !7 weeks! on a diet that didn't agree with me. Even one week is hard.

It also sounds like you like the social-support of dieting with a group of friends - I wonder if you would like weight watchers (for the exact same reasons that I hated it - requiring weekly meetings and lots of responsibility, accountability, discipline.)

Once you find the right thing for you, you will definitely succeed. Don't give up because keto wasn't for you.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise