Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why are there so many special needs kids?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:13 pm
I have seen studies showing acetaminophen/paracetamol (tylenol) use has been correlated with rise in ADHD, autism, eczema and asthma

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:04 pm
Have you seen a study comparing the autism rate of Vaxxed vs UnVaxxed Children?

Why Not? Why does the CDC refuse request from Congressmen to make such a study?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:15 pm
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
When did your brother start exhibiting autistic like behaviors?

My mother A"H claimed he was different and exhibited differences right away. Didn't cry the same way her other kids did. Didn't respond the same way.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:29 pm
Chayalle, I agree with your mother. I have 2 special children, my youngest 2. By the older one, I remember crying in the dr.s office that there's something wrong. She just wasn't so responsive to me and the pediatrician, while very kind and respectful to me, didn't see anything. It was a very long journey to try to figure it out...

By my youngest, I was so madly in love with my precious baby (It took a while to conceive) and dealing with the older one's tantrums that I didn't realize anything. When we were told at about age 3 1/2 that there was something wrong, I looked back at little video clips on my phone and I saw that he really wasn't so responsive. Its just that I didn't realize because I was so happy to have a baby and thought he was so perfect. I still do think he's perfect! But I know a bit more now...

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:48 pm
I didn't read all the responses but this is interesting.......

I grew up in Europe and went to public school my entire childhood and teens. Not one single special needs kid around, and we all got our vaccines according to schedule...

Another interesting thing I noticed in the USA every other person has an allergy of some sort. I never heard of food allergies before I came here....

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:32 pm
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:

I grew up in Europe and went to public school my entire childhood and teens. Not one single special needs kid around, and we all got our vaccines according to schedule...

That is because the U.S. is way ahead of most countries when it comes to special education and inclusion. It's one of the few countries where SN students not only attend regular public schools but also participate in the standardized testing that rates students and ranks schools statewide. (One reason why test scores in America seem so much lower than those of other countries, because those countries tend to exclude students in certain categories such as special education) It doesn't mean those kids weren't around. They just weren't going to your school.
Also another reason why there are so many more diagnosed kids these days, there are so much more services available and much less stigma attached. So parents are more open to getting evaluations done and ok with their kid getting a diagnosis.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:43 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I have seen studies showing acetaminophen/paracetamol (tylenol) use has been correlated with rise in ADHD, autism, eczema and asthma

Its breastfeeding. As breastfeeding rates have risen, so has the rate of autism.

Not to mention home size, and the number of bathrooms per home.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:50 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Have you seen a study comparing the autism rate of Vaxxed vs UnVaxxed Children?

Why Not? Why does the CDC refuse request from Congressmen to make such a study?

There has never been a study showing any causal link between vaccination and autism. Wakefield falsified his results. The anti-vaxer first claimed it was thimerosal. But when thimerosal was removed, nothing changed. So instead of looking for a different cause, they dug in, claiming it had to be something in vaccines.

Its not, of course.

In any case,

Quote:
In 1999, Brent Taylor and co-workers examined the relationship between receipt of MMR and development of autism in an excellent, well-controlled study. Taylor examined the records of 498 children with autism or autism-like disorder.

Cases were identified by registers from the North Thames region of England before and after the MMR vaccine was introduced into the United Kingdom in 1988. Taylor then examined the incidence and age at diagnosis of autism in vaccinated and unvaccinated children. He found that:

The percentage of children vaccinated was the same in children with autism as in other children in the North Thames region.
No difference in the age of diagnosis of autism was found in vaccinated and unvaccinated children.
The onset of symptoms of autism did not occur within two, four, or six months of receiving the MMR vaccine.

Quote:
One of the best studies was performed by Madsen and colleagues in Denmark between 1991 and 1998 and reported in the New England Journal of Medicine. The study included 537,303 children representing 2,129,864 person-years of study. Approximately 82% of children had received the MMR vaccine. The group of children was selected from the Danish Civil Registration System, vaccination status was obtained from the Danish National Board of Health, and children with autism were identified from the Danish Central Register. The risk of autism in the group of vaccinated children was the same as that in unvaccinated children. Furthermore, there was no association between the age at the time of vaccination, the time since vaccination, or the date of vaccination and the development of autism.

Subsequent studies and meta-analysis have corroborated the findings that the MMR vaccine does not cause autism.

https://www.chop.edu/centers-p.....utism

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:57 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/vaccines-and-other-conditions/vaccines-autism

Fyi there is still thimerosal to this day in the flu vaccine.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:25 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Its breastfeeding. As breastfeeding rates have risen, so has the rate of autism.

Not to mention home size, and the number of bathrooms per home.
Except that’s Theres a very plausible mechanism via which acetaminophen would affect neurodevelopment, via depletion of glutathione which is essential for nervous system function. But no similar mechanism that anyone can come up with for how breastfeeding or number of bathrooms would affect neurology. Acetaminophen and neurodevelopment has actually been studied, as has the role of glutathione imbalances and asd and even the effect of glutathione supplementation on asd symptoms, but nothing remotely similar regarding breastfeeding and number of bathrooms. So you can stop being facetious now. I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to accept that asd has causes. And that different things in the environment can affect the nervous system. It’s not really that controversial or out there.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:27 pm
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:

Another interesting thing I noticed in the USA every other person has an allergy of some sort. I never heard of food allergies before I came here....
Less vaccines in Europe. Also, better quality produce, less pesticides. I’ve heard of gluten intolerant people who can’t tolerate wheat in the US, but can tolerate it fine in Europe. Glyphosate is a huge suspect. And it destroys the gut lining, which gives rise to food allergies.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
Just curious, for those writing that autism is caused by vaccines- are you even in the autism field????
As someone who is in the autism field, I get asked this question every day and NO! autism does not occur due to vaccines! That is a naive foolish thing to say based on a long ago myth.

Additionally, it is so easy these days to get a diagnosis of ASD for a child. Many schools want to receive part of government funding so they will send parents to a specific doctor that they know won’t think twice before writing a diagnosis EVEN THOUGH the child is not autistic! I’ve seen this happen hundreds of times throughout my career.
I work in the field and have children with special needs so I’ve been around the block a bunch of times and the science is far from settled. Autism is turning out to be an autoimmune, autoinflammatory disease of the brain. Almost all the research about causes boils down to immune activation, whether in utero, shortly after birth, or later onset as in autoimmune encephalitis. Vaccines aren’t the only cause of immune activation, but they are the only thing we give our kids from the day they are born that are expressly designed to create a chronic, sustained immune response, as well as break down the blood brain barrier. So there is good reason it’s suspect. Among many other factors.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:40 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
Fyi there is still thimerosal to this day in the flu vaccine.

Indeed. But its not a childhood vaccine, and no one is claiming that it causes autism.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:47 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Indeed. But its not a childhood vaccine, and no one is claiming that it causes autism.

No one is claiming the mmr specifically causes autism either. The bottom line is these babies brains are developing and stimulating immune reactions- multiple at a time- often when a child may also be under the weather etc... can very possibly tip a child into regressive asd. Just because the cdc is covering up the link does not mean it isnt happening for some children. There are many many studies showing links to autism and vaccines, the same way there are a few studies doctered by the CDC that show the Mmr does not cause asd (aftef they removed thimerosal). Multiple vaccines at a time especially some which include thimersoal such as the flu vaccine can certainly be a factor for some children. Autism is an immune dysfunction disorder and the research is emerging about this and they won't be able to cover it up forever. More and more kids are getting sicker- believe it or not, and I am not talking about the increase of diagnosis.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:21 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Pubmed article on neuroimmunological phenomena following flu vaccine https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....9594/
From the abstract
Quote:

Although such occurrences are rare, it should be recognized that certain vaccines might trigger serious neurological immune phenomena such as Guillain-Barre syndrome, seizures, cranial neuropathy, and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM).

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to connect the dots.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:28 pm
I teach in a public school. Every other kid has an IEP or a 504 Plan. Everyone's pretty much mainstreamed with accommodations built into the lessons so you wouldn't always know who has SN and who doesn't.

There is no disparity between frum schools and public schools. If anything it's more rampant in public schools.

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:46 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
No one is claiming the mmr specifically causes autism either. The bottom line is these babies brains are developing and stimulating immune reactions- multiple at a time- often when a child may also be under the weather etc... can very possibly tip a child into regressive asd. Just because the cdc is covering up the link does not mean it isnt happening for some children. There are many many studies showing links to autism and vaccines, the same way there are a few studies doctered by the CDC that show the Mmr does not cause asd (aftef they removed thimerosal). Multiple vaccines at a time especially some which include thimersoal such as the flu vaccine can certainly be a factor for some children. Autism is an immune dysfunction disorder and the research is emerging about this and they won't be able to cover it up forever. More and more kids are getting sicker- believe it or not, and I am not talking about the increase of diagnosis.

There are not many studies that show the links to autism and vaccines that are peer-reviewed. Autism may have roots in autoimmune disorder, but the science points to gestational causes, not vaccine causes. In other words, mommy getting the flu (or covid!) while pregnant could make the baby have autism or schizophrenia.

In fact, based on the genetic studies of autism, (and the wide variety of mutations discovered thereof), it points to a genetic origin for immune difficulties that can cause the surge of "anti-brain" antibodies (I admit, I think their name is a bit basic for the actual function). What I'm trying to say is that it's not vaccines making your kid have autism. It's any virus making your kid have autism. That's born out by this:
If what you say is true, and the precise mechanism of vaccination is the cause for inflammation in the brain, then not vaccinating should work 100% of the time. But it doesn't. In fact, in a huge study in Denmark, vaccinated and unvaccinated children developed autism at the same rates.

The biggest predictor of autism was having a family member on the spectrum. So yesterday's "quirky but functional kid" is today's "severely autistic child". That's why the current theory is that autism is largely either gestational exposure (so we're back to blaming mothers), or genetic.

I never vaccinated my child because I was young and I believed all this garbage. He got autism anyway.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:02 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I teach in a public school. Every other kid has an IEP or a 504 Plan. Everyone's pretty much mainstreamed with accommodations built into the lessons so you wouldn't always know who has SN and who doesn't.

There is no disparity between frum schools and public schools. If anything it's more rampant in public schools.

Agreed. My mainstream high school is about 30% swd. 75% of our classes are special Ed inclusion, even AP classes sometimes, and most of the time the non IEP kids themselves don't realize they're sitting in an inclusion classroom.

And I'm completely appalled by the nonsense on this thread.

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I have a genuine question: why does it seem like there are so many frum kids with "special needs" for school?

I'm a BT and went to public school, and I dont remember there being anything as far as special needs -- other than kids with really severe developmental disabilities. we don't have school-age kids yet, but many frum kids in our community that seem reasonably intelligent for their age seem to have "special needs."

I'm genuinely curious what's going on. is stuff being diagnosed more than it was when I was a kid? are frum parents expecting more individualized treatment for their kids than public school parents because they're paying $15k/yr for tuition? are jewish parents more concerned with this stuff and paying more attention whereas non-jewish parents don't treat their kids with the same special snow flake mentality what we yids do? really not trying to offend anyone, but just curious why it seems like there's so much special needs among frum kids...

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 4:04 pm
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
That is because the U.S. is way ahead of most countries when it comes to special education and inclusion. It's one of the few countries where SN students not only attend regular public schools but also participate in the standardized testing that rates students and ranks schools statewide. (One reason why test scores in America seem so much lower than those of other countries, because those countries tend to exclude students in certain categories such as special education) It doesn't mean those kids weren't around. They just weren't going to your school.
Also another reason why there are so many more diagnosed kids these days, there are so much more services available and much less stigma attached. So parents are more open to getting evaluations done and ok with their kid getting a diagnosis.

And its a VERY LUCRATIVE income for collel wives...
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics