Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why are there so many special needs kids?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

keym

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:00 pm
Let's not forget the incidence of varying levels of ASD in preemies and micro-preemies. In the 80s when I was growing up, and the 50s when my mother grew up, these babies COULDN'T survive.

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:06 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Many Lawsuits are settled because it is cheaper for the company. Instead of paying for attorneys etc to fight it, they do the math and hedge a bet to settle. If they lose the case it would cost them more than the settlement plus still have to pay attorney fees.

Big pharma has been behind childhood vaccines from day one. They are backed by billions of dollars. You think they dont use every power they have to cover up their collateral damage? If this case was settled its because the evidence was irrefutable. Dont take my word for it. Do your own research on the case and see the facts for yourself.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:07 pm
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
I was in school 25 years ago. There were plenty of girls who were just thought of as "quirky" who probably would get a diagnosis today. As a matter of fact, 1 of those girls told me a few years ago that her teen son was diagnosed with autism when he was around 10. Another friend, who has a husband with Aspergers has a daughter who was just recently diagnosed with autism. Because Aspergers isn't a diagnosis anymore.

This, also ADHD only became widely diagnosed and treated in recent years . Until about 1990, hyperactive kids were just trouble makers . We have a lot more labeling and diagnosing than their was historically.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Just because someone was paid a settlement does not mean that means vaccines caused her autism. It just means the company settled. It proves nothing. This is not a scientific study.

My sister told me that in medical school, she studied a case where a family sucessfully sued the makers of advil for her child's death. The child likely died from the underlying illness she was diagnosed with, but the family was able to sue nonetheless.

In fact, Poling had global encephalopathy caused by a mitochondrial enzyme deficit. Its not clear if she's actually autistic, or if that condition creates autistic symptoms.

Moreover, the Vaccine Court in that case was to apply a "plausibility" standard, meaning that a court might rule that a particular injury case was vaccine-related if a plausible biological argument could be made that the injury might have been caused by a vaccine, even though researchers of sound epidemiologic studies identified no evidence of such a relationship. As a result, there was a settlement relating to the mitochondrial enzyme deficit, not autism.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:14 pm
Can we stop with the vaccines? it's beating a dead horse. The studies have been done and prove it. Hannah Poling doesn't prove anything because the vaccine court uses a low standard of proof. All of this says to me that people like me or my kids are damaged and unwanted.

It was impossible to get diagnosed 30, 40 years ago. High functioning autism didn't even exist! ADHD was new. No one liked to label kids or if they did it was just that they were "slow". When I look at my non-frum friends the rate of diagnosis has gone way up too. There are studies that look at adults using modern criteria and find comparable rates of ADHD and autism to children.

There are some specific details that I think are more about the frum community. For example, I think because there are a couple of Brooklyn doctors who push it, I hear far more about PANDAS (it is a real diagnosis but I hear it pushed more) and vision issues as a cause of reading problems (again I hear this elsewhere too, but pushed more, especially prism glasses). I think there's a culture of pushing kids into therapy faster, partly because there are so many therapists in the community, but also to help kids fit into 'the box' of frum schools. The demands of long days and a dual curriculum are hard on some kids, I think.

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:15 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
In fact, Poling had global encephalopathy caused by a mitochondrial enzyme deficit. Its not clear if she's actually autistic, or if that condition creates autistic symptoms.

Moreover, the Vaccine Court in that case was to apply a "plausibility" standard, meaning that a court might rule that a particular injury case was vaccine-related if a plausible biological argument could be made that the injury might have been caused by a vaccine, even though researchers of sound epidemiologic studies identified no evidence of such a relationship. As a result, there was a settlement relating to the mitochondrial enzyme deficit, not autism.

Right. Thats why she had multiple vaccines developed a high fever and regressed over night. No connection. They settled with the parents because the father was a neurologist and they did not want him spreading the truth. She was vaccine injured and fell into autism from pre/post vaccines.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:18 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Can we stop with the vaccines? it's beating a dead horse. The studies have been done and prove it. Hannah Poling doesn't prove anything because the vaccine court uses a low standard of proof. All of this says to me that people like me or my kids are damaged and unwanted.

It was impossible to get diagnosed 30, 40 years ago. High functioning autism didn't even exist! ADHD was new. No one liked to label kids or if they did it was just that they were "slow". When I look at my non-from friends the rate of diagnosis has gone way up too. There are studies that look at adults using modern criteria and find comparable rates of ADHD and autism to children.

There are some specific details that I think are more about the frum community. For example, I think because there are a couple of Brooklyn doctors who push it, I hear far more about PANDAS (it is a real diagnosis but I hear it pushed more) and vision issues as a cause of reading problems (again I hear this elsewhere too, but pushed more, especially prism glasses). I think there's a culture of pushing kids into therapy faster, partly because there are so many therapists in the community, but also to help kids fit into 'the box' of frum schools. The demands of long days and a dual curriculum are hard on some kids, I think.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this one. We only have one box that a kid must fit into, so we try our best to fit every ill-fitting child into nonetheless. One of those tools that we use for that is therapy. For some of our children it does more harm than good, but what other choices do those parents have?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:22 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Just because someone was paid a settlement does not mean that means vaccines caused her autism. It just means the company settled. It proves nothing. This is not a scientific study.

My sister told me that in medical school, she studied a case where a family sucessfully sued the makers of advil for her child's death. The child likely died from the underlying illness she was diagnosed with, but the family was able to sue nonetheless.

Absolutely, and settlements are absolutely indicative of this. It’s cheaper for the corporation to give out $100,000 or whatever than to pay legal fees. This happens virtually every day in America. It in no way means guilt. It means, they didn’t go to court and gave money instead to be done with it. They could be guilty but it doesn’t mean they are

number

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:37 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
While expanding diagnostic criteria may account for some of the increase it certainly did not change the rate from 1/2000 when we were kids to 1/45 now. Seriously????? Do the math on that. You mean to tell me that parents 20 years ago would not know their kid was autistic? Kind of hard to miss, don't you think? Contrary to popular belief its not that easy to get a diagnosis. A child really needs to be autistic to get a diagnosis.

Do you know how many people over 30 are only now being diagnosed as autistic. There are 60-70 year olds getting diagnosed now. Many of them. For the reasons that others have already explained to you.

number

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:39 pm
Right. Thats why she had multiple vaccines developed a high fever and regressed over night. No connection. They settled with the parents because the father was a neurologist and they did not want him spreading the truth. She was vaccine injured and fell into autism from pre/post vaccines.
And why did this father settle rather than spread the truth for the good of other children. How odd.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I have a genuine question: why does it seem like there are so many frum kids with "special needs" for school?

I'm a BT and went to public school, and I dont remember there being anything as far as special needs -- other than kids with really severe developmental disabilities. we don't have school-age kids yet, but many frum kids in our community that seem reasonably intelligent for their age seem to have "special needs."

I'm genuinely curious what's going on. is stuff being diagnosed more than it was when I was a kid? are frum parents expecting more individualized treatment for their kids than public school parents because they're paying $15k/yr for tuition? are jewish parents more concerned with this stuff and paying more attention whereas non-jewish parents don't treat their kids with the same special snow flake mentality what we yids do? really not trying to offend anyone, but just curious why it seems like there's so much special needs among frum kids...

Did you go to school how many years ago?
20 years ago when I was in a frum school no one was being diagnosed either. Even the kids who desperately needed services.

Today everyone is more aware. Public schools are servicing a lot more children today as well.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:47 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a SN brother on the autism spectrum. He got his first vaccine at age 2. At that point my mother believed in delaying/spacing.
I'm one of 12 children B"AH. My mother spaced out vaccines with some children, but not all. My younger siblings who got their vaccines on schedule are not SN.

I guess I don't agree with your opinion. I don't see the correlation at all.

When did your brother start exhibiting autistic like behaviors?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 7:55 pm
Per Psychology Today the autism rate in the 1970s was 1:10,000

At that time the Autism Definition was NON VERBAL or very little speech.

Today NON-VERBAL Autism is 1:150.

Explain how NON-Verbal Autism went from 1:10,000 (1970) - 1:150.

It HAS to be something in the environment - like vaccines.

And I am comparing Apples to Apples - just NON-VERBAL Autism - not the expanded definition.

It is NOT a "coincidence" that after CDC QUAUDRUPLED (4x) the number of vaccines in 1990 that Autism and many other Chronic illnesses skyrocketed (including allergies, diabetes, epilepsy).

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:14 pm
Big pharma has been behind childhood vaccines from day one. They are backed by billions of dollars. You think they dont use every power they have to cover up their collateral damage? If this case was settled its because the evidence was irrefutable. Dont take my word for it. Do your own research on the case and see the facts for yourself.

I would also suggest to do research how vaccine lawsuits are dealt with. Big pharma is not involved in any of these lawsuits, so you're wrongly attributing a cover-up here. There is a nation VICP program, vaccine injury compensation program that handles these situations.

If a company is continued to be threatened with lawsuits, then that company would eventually cease to produce vaccines. Since the benefits of vaccines is so great, a national program was created to handle the lawsuits. They evaluate on a case by case basis, and also keep track of the lawsuits. If there are finding of higher than normal valid claims, then that is carried over for further investigation.

This serves the greater good. It allows for companies to develop and produce vaccines without worries about excessive lawsuits, it provides compensation* for those who are injured, it keeps track of any injury trends, and it doesn't allow for a coverup by any company.

(*All vaccines and all medications carry a minute risk to a select few in society. There's no such thing as 100% efficacy and there's no such a thing as 0% injury rate. As long as the injury rate stays extremely low, as in being very rare and in isolated cases, it's deemed to be acceptable. Hence the reason this national program was created. There would undoubtedly be those rare cases with injuries, and compensation would be in order.)

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:17 pm
My sibling was diagnosed with diabetes in the 1980s. My family always was known to be sensitive and have various allergies, my grandparents knew of extended relatives back from pre 1940s that had all sorts of what is now known as autoimmune disorders etc which were obviously inherited by their descendents to this day. I can trace my cousin with a severe nut/seeds allergy and my nephew with various food allergies back to then, as well as the diabetes, eczema, asthma, colitis and other autoimmune issues that unfortunately run in my family to back then.

People also ate less varied diets and less processed food so some food allergies just probably didn't surface. I mean, who was eating shellfish back then unless you lived next to the ocean?? Obviously kosher people don't so it's not a blip in the frum world but plenty of my public school students had that allergy listed in their health info. Probably their great grandparents never ate lobster in their life.

I also think due to better nutrition and pre natal care a lot of babies are born nowadays that probably would not have survived pregnancy years ago.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:27 pm
I'm sure there are many contributing factors, including, but not limited to:

1- increased stress levels

2- our diets are not really compatible with the human body being that our food is often gmo, full of pesticides, dairy meat chicken and eggs are full of hormones, abx, and again pesticides in the animal feed. Our produce is nutrient deficient which means even people who eat a balanced diet are not necessarily getting what they need nutritionally

3- on the topic of diet, we eat a huge amount of processed foods that were not consumed years ago as opposed to real, wholesome food

4- also related to what we eat, we tend to eat lots of cooked, soft, easy to chew foods, as opposed to years ago when lots of raw foods were eaten which requires more chewing, widens the face and airways which impacts how much oxygen we get into our brains and cells which absolutely influences behavior

5- the vaccine schedule, I see was mentioned so I'll leave that

6- widening the diagnostic criteria for asd does include more people

7- the frequency of abx use effects our gut health. There's plenty of research of the gut brain connection, which is also why diet, I believe, plays a big role.

8- technology and lifestyle in general. 100years ago, it was unheard of for someone to sit in one place for hours on. Working, gaming, watching is a new phenomenon.

There are prob more but enough for now.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:21 pm
Frum and Jewish parents in general are very attentive to their kids in general. We spend time with them, we pay attention to them, so we notice when something seems off.

The behavior expectations are higher so more likely to notice because of that as well.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:32 pm
Speak to teachers who have been teaching for many years- they will tell you it's not just more diagnosis.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:45 pm
Vaccines of course

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:06 pm
brand new papers linking asd to maternal immune activation, inflammation and gut issues. This is where the science is at.
https://www.nature.com/article.....415-4
https://www.eurekalert.org/new.....39375
https://www.cell.com/immunity/.....-7613(21)00496-9
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics