Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Upsherins - how do you do them?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:08 pm
Do you make a whole big bash and invite all your relatives and prepare tons of food and everyone gets a chance to snip the hair before it's cut?
Or do you make some pekelach for the neighbors and just take the kid to the barber for the haircut?
Do you have grandparents come along to cheder?
Does the Norah also do something in playgroup?

I'm really curious to learn how others do it
Also include if your chassidish or litvish

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:10 pm
Not chassidish or litvish. I make a big bash because I like to make big parties.

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:11 pm
I'm litvish. Cut my son's hair when he was one at the barber. Despite him being typical size for a one year old still had people asking if he was 3! He looked adorable and like a boy, with a cute haircut until he put on a yarnulka at 3.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:13 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Not chassidish or litvish. I make a big bash because I like to make big parties.

Same here!! I love making parties so I do! But we do have someone come to the house to cut the hair before most of the guests arrive so the little guy doesn't get too overwhelmed. We don't have everyone taking a snip and freaking him out.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:16 pm
I make a party in my house and invite all relatives to come. We cut the hair, give out pekelach, etc.
No major food, more like a sweet table with some light refreshments. It's a super chilled low key kind of party. No rsvp, just come if you can.

Also bring son to cheder and give out pekelach there.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:21 pm
I’m litvish and have no family nearby. Kid goes to barber and then I text the block chat that all kids can come over at said time for cake and pekelach. I always tell dh that I don’t see a point in taking the kid to a rebbe in in Cheder If he wants to arrange it I’ll come along. Needless to say none of our boys ever went to cheder…

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:47 pm
Litvish.

Make a party for family - a pizza party or bagels and ziti. And Pekelech.

Have relatives take a snip.

After haircut, in morning, wrap upsherin boy in Tatty's Tallis, and take to a cheder.

Say Aleph-Bais with the Rebbe - Give out pecklach to the class.

Tip the Rebbe!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics