Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Should I save hand-me-downs for 8 years?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:32 am
My 3 year old son is about 10 years younger than his next older brother. I have tons of clothes that are in good shape. Should I save or give away?

I always worry what if we're poor in 10 years and can't buy new clothes or if there's a shortage of clothes because of world events.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:33 am
My 8 year old brother has sweaters from my 32 year old brother. They are in perfect shape. I would say save.

But if you buy very stylish things then maybe not because it is more likely to go out of style. You can always decide then after saving. If you have siblings that can use it for their children now, maybe give it to them.

salt

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:36 am
I would save the good quality stuff if you have the space.
8 years passes by quicker than you think!

amother
Blueberry

The clothes probably won't do well in storage for a long time. Also, the styles we think are timeless really aren't. And who's to say that this child will be built like his brother?

Better to have 8 years of someone else enjoying the clothing, and you having closet space.

Obviously there are no guarantees about what will happen in the future, but for most families, income increases over time. And the markets function. I vote for giving away the clothes and buying new ones when you need them.

amother
Dahlia

I would say to give it away if u care abt ur child being a little bit up to date. If u give the clothing to someone who can enjoy it I think u can get double happiness. Nowadays the styles are changing almost yearly. Hatzlacha on ur decision.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:43 am
I stopped saving most things with that similar gap after having saved and then the pants were wide when the current style is slim, elastics becoming brittle, etc.
Hashem will take care of us.

wifeandmore

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:18 am
My experience was that saving never ended being worth it. Now I give to someone who's currently that size so at least it gets used. Twice I had to throw away so many bins of clothes.

From style to sizing differences to stains... The only thing worth saving were pajamas and sweaters but that's only if the space it takes up is worth the real estate.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:23 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I stopped saving most things with that similar gap after having saved and then the pants were wide when the current style is slim, elastics becoming brittle, etc.
Hashem will take care of us.

This.

I really regret not giving them to someone who needed them while they still had life left in them.

ora_43

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:28 am
Save 2-3 of the best outfits, get rid of the rest.

First of all, because unless you live in the middle of nowhere, storage space is probably worth more than clothing. Think of it as paying like $3 a month for an extra cubic meter in your home.

And also, because even if things went downhill, you'd get by. If you personally were poor in 8 years, you could get hand-me-downs from other people with sons, or buy used clothes. And if we're talking a situation where society has deteriorated so badly that clothes aren't readily available - nobody's gonna care that he's wearing the same 2-3 outfits over and over.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:22 am
I think saving because you anticipate there may be a world shortage of closing in 10 years is a little extreme. But saving because they're nothing wrong with the clothes and you'd use them again, why not? I saved clothes from my first few boys, fast forward 7 years and I had another boy who is happily wearing them now. I don't care about style, just practicality. Some of the clothes I had ORIGINALLY for my boys were hand me downs from other families, but as long as they're still functional and in good condition, it's working for us. Until we run of space.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:46 am
My first few boys were each two years apart so I kept anything in good condition. Then I had a few girls. When I had my next boy six years later many elastics were brittle, and some stains came out more. Some pjs were good and others not.

At this point I keep the pajamas, pants, a few good tees and good quality shabbos clothes that’s timeless to start with. It all has to fit in a small Tupperware that can fit under the bed.

Anything not in perfect condition gets dumped as stains come out with time. It must be in an airtight container/bag or it gets yellowed.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:52 am
Depends what.
I also have 10 yr gap and baby is 3

You probably found what I found already

Anything elastic is garbage.
All the pant legs are wide and unusable. I’m not into fashion at all but they look ridiculous.

Shabbos clothing are very out of style and look dated.

I’ve mainly be reusing pajamas, and classic sweaters or polos.

I anyways stopped saving clothing at around age 8-9.

(Surprisingly I found girl clothing withstood time better then boys).

SYA

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:52 am
I used to save all but saw that the elastic stretches out after 5 years, and new stains appear with time. Now I take a small airtight container and keep a small amount of clothes like a few pjs, pants, shirts, sweater. White shirts discolor so if there’s no stains then I pass it on. Keep in mind that the tees and sweaters should be classics that can always look in style.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:05 am
I don't. I don't find it worth it. rather the space then 8 years worth of clothing that might not even work anymore.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I always worry what if we're poor in 10 years and can't buy new clothes or if there's a shortage of clothes because of world events.
Hashem will take care of us. He doesn’t need that kind of help. If you are poor you will IYH get hand me downs from someone whose kid is one size larger than yours. Or something. There are so many ways to get your kid clothes.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:32 am
Ten years is a full generation.

Please, for your sake and that of your son, dont save.

Most will be garbage and the rest outdated.

Rather buy him a cheap updated wardrobe as he goes along rather than a decade old one.

As far as the state of the world: he will wear what all other children his age are wearing then. They will be dressed and so will he.

All you are dong is taking up space: physically and in your mind. And giving it the unfounded anxiety.

Give it all away to those who can use now, and throw away the garbage... and feel free.

And don't look back.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:35 am
Definitely give away to someone who will enjoy it and needs it now. Don't hoard clothes. A)they never store well, b) styles change.

Save a few special pieces for sentimental value.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:36 am
I will say I did save some baby clothing though so I wouldn't have to worry about outfitting a future newborn right away when there isn't so much time to shop yet.
The rest I gave to families with boys of that age/size and said they can do what they want with it.

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:52 am
If you have the space, the clothes are in good shape and not trendy, and you're in shaky financial shape, yes. If the answer to any of these is "no," then no. If you're well-off, give the stuff away so a needy person can use them.

You're falling into the trap of "but I might need this some day, what if I'll be poor?" Cross that bridge only if you come to it, and have faith that someone else will give away HER outgrown things so that you can use them. If we all hold on to our unused stuff, those in need will have nothing.

Optione

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:08 am
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
Ten years is a full generation.

Half a generation. 10 year olds don't have kids. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics