Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How do I manage my time?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:40 am
When my kids go back to school after winter vacation, I will no longer be working. I hope this is only temporary, and I will start working again in September. Meanwhile, there’s plenty to do here, but I have no idea how to manage my time and follow through on he things that need to be done. (I have adhd and would benefit from medication, but haven’t had the time or money to get a formal eval so I can get the meds. Hopefully that is one of the things I will do….)

Here is a list of some of the things that need to be done, in addition to regular things like shopping, laundry, etc.
We also have a cleaning lady 3x/week from 9-3 so (thankfully) the cleaning will not fall on me.

- go through bookshelves (3 small, 2 big) and get rid of books that need to be thrown out (missing pages, torn, etc) or given away, and then organize and straighten the shelves
- go through the kids (4 kids) drawers and get rid of/five away what they don’t wear anymore
- go to grief counseling
- get eval and meds for adhd
- organize kitchen cabinets
- clean for pesach
- type up and pint out recipes for loose leaf
- go for 1 mile walk
- treadmill for 1 mile

I get up every morning at 6:30 to get my daughter ready for school, wake my son up at 7:00, and wake the next one at 7:50/8:00. (The youngest gets up on her own usually) I have carpool twice a week in the morning, Wednesday and Friday. On the days that I have carpool, I’m done by 9:00/9:10. On the other days everyone is usually gone by 8:40. On Tuesday morning from 9:15-10:00 my husband and I meet with my son’s therapist for parenting sessions. Whatever I do during the day, I need to be at my daughter’s school at 3:30 every day.

So how do I go about managing my time and making sure I get everything done without losing steam and without doing too much too quickly?

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:08 pm
Make to-do lists with timeframes. IOW, today I will do abc. By the end of the week, defg. By the end of the month, hijk. It's not carved in stone and can be modified as needed.

"Clean for Pesach" is too big a category. Break it up into parts: clean and kasher stove, clean fridge, clean cabinets, etc.

Make a daily schedule showing your appointments, and fit the day's tasks between the appointments. IOW you make an "appointment" to clean the dresser. Estimate how long each task will take and add a bit as a margin of safety.

I like a planner that gives you a monthly calendar for general appointments plus pages in between for each week, with a space for each day to mark down specific tasks and other details of appointments.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:34 pm
zaq wrote:
Make to-do lists with timeframes. IOW, today I will do abc. By the end of the week, defg. By the end of the month, hijk. It's not carved in stone and can be modified as needed.

"Clean for Pesach" is too big a category. Break it up into parts: clean and kasher stove, clean fridge, clean cabinets, etc.

Make a daily schedule showing your appointments, and fit the day's tasks between the appointments. IOW you make an "appointment" to clean the dresser. Estimate how long each task will take and add a bit as a margin of safety.

I like a planner that gives you a monthly calendar for general appointments plus pages in between for each week, with a space for each day to mark down specific tasks and other details of appointments.

I like the idea of lists….and a planner ;-) Thanks!!!

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:32 pm
Look into block scheduling! You might like it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:43 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
Look into block scheduling! You might like it.

Where can I find info?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:50 pm
I am struggling with this myself and the best advice I could give you is to put your phone away for most of the day. It could be so distracting when you have free time, before you know it you've just blown a huge chunk of time wasted on the phone, like on imamother Wink

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:50 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I am struggling with this myself and the best advice I could give you is to put your phone away for most of the day. It could be so distracting when you have free time, before you know it you've just blown a huge chunk of time wasted on the phone, like on imamother Wink

I definitely hear you on that one!!

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where can I find info?

https://funcheaporfree.com/the.....life/

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:19 pm
Don’t feel bad If the extra time just disappears-
It has a way of doing that.

Regular life just takes over and makes it hard to have time to do “projects”.
(For me).

I’m not trying to be discouraging- it might work amazing for you. And it’s great to have these plans and systems in place to set you up for success.

So for sure you should try your best, I’m just saying be compassionate with yourself if it’s not so simple.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:06 pm
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
Don’t feel bad If the extra time just disappears-
It has a way of doing that.

Regular life just takes over and makes it hard to have time to do “projects”.
(For me).

I’m not trying to be discouraging- it might work amazing for you. And it’s great to have these plans and systems in place to set you up for success.

So for sure you should try your best, I’m just saying be compassionate with yourself if it’s not so simple.

Oh for sure!!!! I always have good intentions….I’m just thinking that maybe this time, if I have something a little more concrete than intentions, it might last longer!

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:47 pm
Work expands to fill the time allotted the way a gas expands to fill the space allotted. Better to overschedule and not finish everything than to underschedule. Because if you have half an hour to do a job, you’ll do it in half an hour. If you have two hours, that’s how long it’ll take.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics