Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/o declining invite-how many people have just 1 sink
1  2  3  4  Next

Do you have one sink?
Yes  
 35%  [ 96 ]
No  
 64%  [ 175 ]
Total Votes : 271

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:57 pm
When reading the thread about the neighbor with the 1 sink, I was curious how many people seem to be saying they have only 1 sink. I live in the UK and everyone I know has 2 sinks. It's not considered a luxury. A sink costs around £100, plus a bit more for plumbing and fitting. It's not such a big deal.
I'm just wondering why you wouldn't put a second sink in. My aunt even has 3 sinks, one milchig, one fleishig and one pareve.

Aurora

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:59 pm
We have two sinks because that's what came with the house. If our house only had one, we would probably just live with the one sink. I'd rather spend for yeshiva tuition or a major home improvement.
For instance, I'm dreaming of another bathroom in this one-bathroom house.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:59 pm
Some people rent and can't change the kitchen. Some are really strapped for cash. Sometimes there's a kitchen setup that would require major work to install a second sink.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:01 pm
I have one sink
I don’t see putting in a second sink as no big deal.
My kitchen is very small so I’d lose valuable counter space.
I’d have to redo plumbing and cabinetry and counter to make it work
I’d rather have one big sink then two small sinks
Connected sinks aren’t much better bec water can back up pipes causing problem so I have no interest in that

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:01 pm
We replaced our single sink with a big double when we bought our house. I know some people think that's a problem, but we make it work. There wasn't room for a totally separate sink since it's not a big kitchen. A lot of people with one probably are renters and can't make changes--we had a single sink with separate racks in our apartment.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:03 pm
We have one sink. We rent.

Even if we didn't rent, WHERE would we put the hypothetical second sink? Cut into a countertop and lose even more of our very limited cabinet space? Knock down a wall to expand the kitchen? (Just went WAAAAAY over your suggested budget.)

Our sink is fleishig only. We don't cook milchigs (aside for heating things in a toaster or sandwich maker). We don't own washable milchig dishes.

But no, it's not so easy to put in a second sink, unless you're designing a new kitchen.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:05 pm
I had one connected sink till very recently. I hated it. I moved into house with it, and counters were in bad condition, and to put in a 2nd sink, would have to replace the counters there anyway, and I wanted to do it properly but didn't have extra money. (didn't want two tiny side by side sinks. Wanted two big sinks). Saved up on the side for a long time and very recently finally did it - replaced counters, and put in two sinks. Involved cost of counter, cost of sinks, plumbing, labor. Was not at all cheap.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:07 pm
Literally everyone who rents.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:09 pm
You’re way oversimplifying it. I assumed I could put in a double sink when I moved in to replace the single sink. Turns out no one is willing to cut my counter or even replace the whole countertop because of the way it’s built they think it will cause all the upper cabinets to fall down which is not a risk we’re willing to take. Pulling the plumbing to a new area outside of where the counters are now would be way too expensive. Moving plumbing is not a small job.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:09 pm
We have 2 sinks now but had one for many years.

Rental apartments here normally have one sink. Condos here also usually have one sink and it is not always possible to add another. But as a kitchen designer, a second sink is the #1 request I get from frum clients.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:26 pm
Sunsong wrote:
We have two sinks because that's what came with the house. If our house only had one, we would probably just live with the one sink. I'd rather spend for yeshiva tuition or a major home improvement.
For instance, I'm dreaming of another bathroom in this one-bathroom house.

Forgive me for asking, but your house only have 1 bathroom in total? Or like 1.5 bathrooms? I’ve never heard of a house with only one toilet!

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:28 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Forgive me for asking, but your house only have 1 bathroom in total? Or like 1.5 bathrooms? I’ve never heard of a house with only one toilet!

Many older homes only have one toilet.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:29 pm
Where I live, a common house layout is 2 bed/1 bath or 3 bed 2/bath. We have 3 bed 3 bath and its super unusual.

Aurora

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:29 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

The house has one bathroom. The basement has the setup for a bathroom (toilet, sink, shower), but it's got no walls. Banging head

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:30 pm
sequoia wrote:

I rent.

Always had two sinks.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:34 pm
We would have cut the ceiling in the basement and the floor in the kitchen to run the pipes. Then we would have to cut a hole in the granite for another sink. You don’t just buy the sink and call it a day, it’s not about how much the actual sink basin costs…

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:38 pm
I live OOT, I think I can count on one hand the folks I know who have 2 sinks---and that's only because they were able to build their own house or renovate. It also doesn't generally add value to homes here because most home buyers are not Jewish and would probably find 2 sinks weird.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:38 pm
The rich privilege here is astounding.

I have one sink. My small galley kitchen would be unable to accommodate another.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:40 pm
sequoia wrote:

My apartment has a double sink. Though you're right, most rentals have single ones.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:44 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
The rich privilege here is astounding.

I have one sink. My small galley kitchen would be unable to accommodate another.

Same!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen