Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/o declining invite-how many people have just 1 sink
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you have one sink?
Yes  
 35%  [ 96 ]
No  
 64%  [ 175 ]
Total Votes : 271

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 4:21 am
I have two sinks now, b"H, just because that's the way this tiny rental apt came. But I have lived in plenty, other, tiny rental apts with just one sink. And it's totally offensive for someone to say you can't possibly keep kosher with just one sink (yes, people have said that to me).

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 4:27 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Very location dependent.
If renting in Jewish building or house like lkwd or ny likely to get double sinks. Outside of tri state area and Jewish rentals single sinks in rentals are rare.
And not even in those places is it a given. My grandmother lived in boro park for a long time. She had a tiny kitchen and a even tinier sink. Its never a given, anywhere.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 4:39 am
I currently have two sinks, as I’ve had in the past couple of homes - but I had rented homes with only one sink in the past. You can’t make changes to a rental home and the cavity for the sink is usually not large enough for a double sink, especially in older homes and this would mean reinstalling the counter as well.
In past generations for sure one sink was standard - my grandparents only had one sink.
ETA
I was considering renting a new place a while back and rejected any optional place with only one sink, because how could I POSSIBLY live in a home with only one sink. That other thread reminded me how spoiled I am that I wouldn’t even consider a home with one sink. I got to thinking how I managed when we lived in a one sink apartment and remembered that it was annoying but totally manageable.

s c

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 5:07 am
Just to agree with op, it isn't considered a 'privileged' thing here, more just the norm. Most people in frum areas in the UK these days have 2 sinks and that's in small houses and apartments too. I only really see young couples starting out in rentals with one sink.

Debbie

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:27 am
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
I have two sinks now, b"H, just because that's the way this tiny rental apt came. But I have lived in plenty, other, tiny rental apts with just one sink. And it's totally offensive for someone to say you can't possibly keep kosher with just one sink (yes, people have said that to me).

We made aliyah over a year ago and currently rent an apartment with only one sink, we do use bowls to make things easier, but I'm so looking forward to moving somewhere with two sink, nevertheless our home is 100% kosher.
It's so rude to suggest that it's not possible to keep kosher with one sink; I would have been tempted to say "My kashrus is better than your manners."

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:39 am
I grew up with 1 sink. My parents never had money to remodel the kitchen in the 30+ years they have been living there.

I rented for many years and most places only had 1 sink.
Now DH and I own and we are lucky that we could afford to design our own kitchen so we put in 2 sinks, but for the majority of my life I only had 1 sink.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:46 am
Only one sink. Kitchen too small for another. I would rather have the counter space. Plus as others are saying it would be expensive to put another in. In a small kitchen I would rather just have one. One day if we G-d willing expand the house and have a bigger kitchen it would be nice to have 2.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 7:14 am
I just realized what the peer pressure of imamother is doing to me. I feel so petty.

I have one sink. Due to our kitchen layout we would have to remodel to fit a second sink lots of $$$$

I love my kitchen. It’s a solid wood old kitchen. I know I 100% keep a kosher kitchen with my sink.

Last night I told dh we should remodel to put in 2 sinks.
All because of this thread snd I was feeling embarrrassed about my sink situation. Thinking what do you ppl think about my kashrut and just the fact that we never remodeled to put in a second sink.
I didn’t realize everyone believed it was so standard to have two.
I can’t believe I felt that pressure snd would cave to it. From complete strangers.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 7:18 am
I never knew such a thing existed until I got married and saw my in-laws had 2!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When reading the thread about the neighbor with the 1 sink, I was curious how many people seem to be saying they have only 1 sink. I live in the UK and everyone I know has 2 sinks. It's not considered a luxury. A sink costs around £100, plus a bit more for plumbing and fitting. It's not such a big deal.
I'm just wondering why you wouldn't put a second sink in. My aunt even has 3 sinks, one milchig, one fleishig and one pareve.

I didn't read the other thread. Whoa. Guess she wouldn't eat from Rebbetzin x, y, or z.
Not all kitchens are made for two sinks. I've lived in homes with different setups. I'd much rather have one large sink and racks and bins than 2 side by sides.

honey36

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:33 am
When I moved into my house we right away put in another sink into my tiny kitchen. It meant we basically have zero counter space, but was totally worth it.

I also don't understand how you can do with one sink when you have a big family. What if the little kids just had milchik supper and now you need to cook fleishik for the big kids/adults but can't use the sink cuz it's filled with milchik dishes? What if your baby just had a bottle and fleishik dishes are in the sink. Where do you put it? I mean I guess it could technically work, but during "crunch time" I.e 4:00-8;00 I can see it being very difficult.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:38 am
honey36 wrote:
When I moved into my house we right away put in another sink into my tiny kitchen. It meant we basically have zero counter space, but was totally worth it.

I also don't understand how you can do with one sink when you have a big family. What if the little kids just had milchik supper and now you need to cook fleishik for the big kids/adults but can't use the sink cuz it's filled with milchik dishes? What if your baby just had a bottle and fleishik dishes are in the sink. Where do you put it? I mean I guess it could technically work, but during "crunch time" I.e 4:00-8;00 I can see it being very difficult.

I never keep dishes in the sink. It hasn’t been really hard.
We have a fleishig dishwasher so almost everything goes in there during the week.

The only time I use a rack is after Shabbos when I have tons of dishes. But even then. I put in rack and dishes. Wash immediately. And put away. I don’t keep the dishes in the sink until I wash them.

Pareve and milchig dishes wait on my counter until I’m ready to wash them. And I just hold them in my hand when washing and don’t put down.

My biggest thing I have to be careful is if I’m pouring really hot dairy or meat liquid down the drain the sink has to be spotless. But that happens very rarely.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:20 am
Are people calling a sink with a double bowl "two sinks" because that is not what most people consider to be two sinks.

Double bowl sinks were popular all over and so it would not be uncommon to move into an older home which had a double bowl sink. You can easily replace a one bowl sink with a double bowl sink.

Obviously I have never been to every single home in the US but having two sinks that are physically separate with two drains and two separate sources of water etc. is not typical.

The only people I know who have two separate sinks are either relatively affluent Jews who have kitchens which are large enough for two separate sinks OR they are living in new homes that were relatively expensive which have a prep sink in the island as this is common now among non-frum/Jewish people.

Double bowl sinks are pretty terrible to use because neither of the bowls is large enough for large items. When I had a double bowl sink I would regularly spray myself with water trying to clean sheet and roasting pans because they had to go in sideways. I swapped out the double bowl sink to one very large deep farmhouse style sink - I have precious little counter space as it is and there would be no way for me to have installed two functional kitchen sinks even if money were no object.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:27 am
honey36 wrote:

Totally get this. I committed to not just having stuff for the sink but drainers perennially on the counter. But a side by side is really not so practical either. Stuff splashes. Sink backs up.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:39 am
honey36 wrote:

We have two sinks and it's certainly more convenient. But we could deal with one if necessary. We don't cook separate suppers for little kids, so that wouldn't be an issue. I nurse, so baby bottles are only for daycare, the milk is pareve anyway, and I wash them in their own separate tub for sanitation reasons. They never soak in the sink with our food dishes. They sit in the fridge if they are empty and waiting to be washed.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:41 am
honey36 wrote:

Separate plastic dishpans out on the counter. Put in sink as needed, to wash dishes, then take out. I prefer this over racks in the sink.

finprof

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:45 am
Y'all seem to be missing the fact that people on this forum share a religion only: not a location or an income bracket! First, not everyone owns their home. Second, many older homes in my OOT community have only 1 sink (and yes, 1 bathroom... and it is on the 2nd floor!) and many homeowners will not allow a second sink to be installed for the benefit of a renter when the next occupant will likely think it's useless!

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:04 am
honey36 wrote:

If that's what you are used to it's not a big deal. I grew up like this and like I posted earlier, my parents were really strict. Nothing in the sink ever. Nothing touches the sink or faucet while being washed. Never use boiling hot water. We were trained.

That being said, when we moved to a new community and our house came with two sinks, we loved it! It actually took time for us to put dishes in the sink, we were so used to never doing that!

For me personally, having two sinks is really important. I would rather have two sinks than any other comfort in my house. I love to cook and bake and it makes kitchen life so much easier. But not everyone feels the same. They choose a different convenience. But it is absurd to say you can't keep kosher with one sink.

I will never forget as a child, a potential tenant came to look at our house. She turned up her nose at the kitchen and said loudly, I can't live like this. I need a kosher kitchen. I remember thinking huh? Our kitchen was kosher, my father's the Rabbi!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:10 am
Wow I didn't realize I would be opening up such a can of worms. I had no idea that 2 sinks was such a 'rich priveldge'.
I don't think it's a big deal in the UK, you just need a plumber to come and add the pipes, then someone will cut a hole in the counter and put in the sink. There's no planning permission or permits. It's your house, you can do what you want inside. And you have the water pipes for the first sink, and possibly your dishwasher and/or washing machine, so it's not like you have to pull the water from the other side of the house.
Even with rentals, most rentals in my area are owned by Jewish landlords and they put a second sink in.

But most houses only have 1 bathroom, so guess things are all relative. Very few people, unless they've done work to their house-added more at the side/back or added a 3rd floor, will have more than 1 bathroom. Some houses will have a toilet downstairs.

I suppose a lot of it is what you're used to.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow I didn't realize I would be opening up such a can of worms. I had no idea that 2 sinks was such a 'rich priveldge'.
I don't think it's a big deal in the UK, you just need a plumber to come and add the pipes, then someone will cut a hole in the counter and put in the sink. There's no planning permission or permits. It's your house, you can do what you want inside. And you have the water pipes for the first sink, and possibly your dishwasher and/or washing machine, so it's not like you have to pull the water from the other side of the house.
Even with rentals, most rentals in my area are owned by Jewish landlords and they put a second sink in.

But most houses only have 1 bathroom, so guess things are all relative. Very few people, unless they've done work to their house-added more at the side/back or added a 3rd floor, will have more than 1 bathroom. Some houses will have a toilet downstairs.

I suppose a lot of it is what you're used to.

Perhaps kitchens are different in the UK. From what I have seen on some real estate shows some kitchens in Europe aren't "fitted" in the same way that US kitchens are. I watch House Hunters International and some apartments are even rented without a kitchen and the new tenant installs whatever they want.

Installing a sink in a standard American kitchen is an expensive proposition. A sink cabinet is different than a standard cabinet so you have to replace a lower cabinet which means buying a cabinet - and you might not be able to find a matching cabinet. You need to purchase the cabinet and have it installed - assuming one can find a cabinet that actually matches the existing cabinets.

You would also have to deal with the counter and attempting to retro fit a sink into the new counter. It is possible that the counter and/or backsplash would be damaged while this is being done.

A plumber would have to be hired in order to run pipes - that would often require breaking into the walls to install properly. A good sink plus decent faucets is at least $1000 in my experience and that is just for the parts and not the labor to install.

By the time one has finished the cost would realistically be several thousand dollars. And that is assuming there is space in a kitchen to a second sink of a decent size.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen