Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job downgrade

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:02 pm
I’m looking to move from my full-time job to a part-time job. This is in an office setting, and I’d like to know how much I could expect to make for working less hours. If I work eight hours a day now, and I downgrade to four hours a day, can I expect half of my current salary?

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:07 pm
Same level of responsibility?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:11 pm
Yes
For some reason, I was told that I’d be only able to make way less than half by a recruiter.
I don’t understand, and thought maybe it’s a mistake.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes
For some reason, I was told that I’d be only able to make way less than half by a recruiter.
I don’t understand, and thought maybe it’s a mistake.

You'll likely be moved from salary to hourly. That's part of it. Then you also will lose access to certain benefits and exempt status, and you'll have to take a lunch break at specific times, per the mandates of your state.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:25 pm
Someone working longer hours would be able to have a higher position and take on more responsibility, hence the higher salary.

I am not getting paid for the amount of hours I work; I am being paid for my responsibilities within the company and it would not be possible for me to have so much responsibility if I would work shorter hours.

It's possible that you can still be a big asset to the company even with your shorter hours and demand more pay, but most very part time workers I know do more basic data entry sort of tasks.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:27 pm
If staying at your current employer you can leverage your skills to be made more then 1/2.
Make the case your a decidated worker, know the business, familiar with what has to get done. An asset
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics