Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Electric vs gas cooktop

pg

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:26 am
I’m buying new appliances and would love to hear feedback from people’s experiences. How does the electric cooktop compare to the gas cooktop? I want to know specifically if you ended up liking the electric in regards to cooking.

Thank you!

librarygirl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:29 am
All things being equal, definitely go with gas. Easier with a blech, adjusting flame on Yom tov, seeing when it's on or off. Glass tops may be a problem to kasher if dirty. Also, it's widely accepted that it's better for cooking.

singsong

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:32 am
I personally prefer electric. I live in a very hot climate and electric cook tops don't give off as much heat as gas so my kitchen doesn't get unbearably hot when I'm cooking.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:38 am
I had electric for most of my marriage, and I now have gas. I definitely prefer the gas, for reasons mentioned above. Much more workable with Y"T. In my previous house, I just never left it on for Y"T, managed with oven. In current house, I can leave a low flame, or even turn it on from a candle on Y"T (by not letting the ignite feature activate.) It's awesome if I want to do something freshly cooked on Y"T.

SDmother

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:40 am
Like others said, gas is known to be much better for cooking. Take a peak at any commercial kitchen and 100% of them use gas. They will usually have 1 electric girdle to make specific foods but otherwise it's always gas.

BubblyBubby

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:43 am
I have electric (glass ceramic) and find it easier to clean than gas.
Also, it has thermostats, so that it keeps a constant heat, rather than heating all them time. So it's easier to handle than gas, as far as I remember. On the other hand, it takes longer to heat up...

As far as the oven is concerned, I once had a gas oven and found it almost unusable. The electric oven gives better results.

And I would never use a blech over a gas stove top on shabbos, for fear of accidents.

HH613

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:55 am
Electric is easier to clean (glass top) but harder to cook in. I prefer gas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars