Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Taking children to the dentist
1  2  Next

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 5:15 pm
At what age do you start taking your children to the dentist? And how often?

proudmom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 5:17 pm
at the age of 3 and every six months

timeout

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 10:21 am
I've been on a waiting list for 4 months to take my son to the dentitst!!!!!!!!!!!

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 12:04 pm
I think it varies by dentist. I have heard some that say starting at 3. But I had to take my baby in because he chipped a tooth, and they wanted to start seeing my kids as soon as they had teeth, and at 3 years old they start cleaning the teeth. (Not a problem for us as our insurance pays 100% but I wonder if it's really necessary for babies???)

Yael

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 10:24 pm
I dont think its nessecary to clean their teeth so often. just make sure they dont eat candy and brush their teeth and they'll be fine. few people know this but the cleaning actually removes some of the protective layer of enamel each time making it easier for them to get cavities. if you suspect they already have a cavity then go to check it out but I wouldnt go otherwise.
Ok I've got my protective suit of armor on, now go blast away!! Twisted Evil

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 9:33 am
I don't know about cleaning, but flouride treatments and sealants really help protect from cavities. It made a big difference with some of my kids.

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 1:47 pm
sy, do they need that at such a young age? my dd just turned 2.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 9:13 pm
a waiting list for your dentist? it says you live in NY...maybe find another dentist???

JEWISHMAMA

Post Fri, Nov 04 2005, 3:30 am
about 2-3 years old

timeout

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 11:14 am
Update: I have an appointment this Tuesday I hope I don't get bumped!

stem

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 11:47 am
At our dentist they do it like this: At age 3 they do an introductery appointment where they "count" the teeth and teach the kid how to brush properly and floss. They don't start the flouride treatments till they are older and more likely to cooperate. They say we should bring them in every 6 months, but personally, I don't think it's neccesary unless you think they have a cavity. Once a year is enough till they start getting their adult teeth IMO.

mommy2

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 12:38 pm
At 3 they teach them how to floss?

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:15 am
613 wrote:
sy, do they need that at such a young age? my dd just turned 2.

sorry, I didn't see your post. I think we did the counting teeth thing at 2, then ? hard to remember (I haven't had a 2 yr. old for awhile). I brought the kids in for 6 month checkups, whenever the dentist's office called or mailed a reminder. There were usually fillings needed. After the fillings were finished, the next visit was a flouride and sealant one. It probably was from age 4 and up.

deedee

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:43 am
Quote:
At 3 they teach them how to floss?

I already floss my baby's teeth every once in a while. today she had s/t stuck in her front teeth so I took out the floss when she saw it she said 'floss'!

Quote:
There were usually fillings needed. After the fillings were finished, the next visit was a flouride and sealant one. It probably was from age 4 and up.
does that mean they had cavities by age 4 shock Confused

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:53 am
Not usually. It means that the older children (6 and up) got their teeth filled, and sealants etc. and everyone else got flouride treatments too. to my disappointment, between everyone, we had quite a few cavities by 1st-2nd grade. some kids had few, some more.

There is a genetic factor too, with some people more susceptible than others.

timeout

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 10:50 am
So last night I went to the dentist and he told me even though he can see that my sons teeth are brushed he has 5 cavities shock

I don't understand this since I don't allow candy sticky sweet foods or other.

Since this is my sons first year in school he is getting snacks from other kids but 5 Cavities that's ridiculous.

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:25 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:

There is a genetic factor too, with some people more susceptible than others.

uh oh... add that to the shidduch resume--- how many cavities did you have as a kid?..... 3 or more? .... sorry, the guy only wants someone w/ 2 or less cavities
LOL jk

timeout

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:52 pm
613 Rolling Laughter

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 5:39 am
timeout wrote:
So last night I went to the dentist and he told me even though he can see that my sons teeth are brushed he has 5 cavities shock

I don't understand this since I don't allow candy sticky sweet foods or other.

Since this is my sons first year in school he is getting snacks from other kids but 5 Cavities that's ridiculous.

how old is your son? was he complaining about his teeth? maybe his teeth are decaying rather it being a cavity? Confused

timeout

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 9:48 am
he's 4 K'H and he never complained I don't let him eat sweets so it's really strange
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics