Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Best way to cook corn beef

BatyaEsther

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 10:00 am
What is the best way to cook a corn beef. It is a First cut brisket.
I seem to have lost my touch.
Last time I baked it in the oven at 300 for 3 hours, as per the label on the package.
Time before I boiled for 2.5 hours.
Both times they were tasty but very tough.

I also have an instant pot.

Is my butcher selling me an inferior piece of meat or am I doing something wrong.

Would very much welcome recommendation.

Thank you.

honey36

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 10:40 am
Crock pot. Comes out perfect every time. I put it up in with the bag it came in, cover with water. Put in Thursday morning, take it out Thursday afternoon (like 6 hours?). Put it in fridge. Slice it Friday morning. Reheat on Shabbos.

I don't have an instant pot so don't know if it would work with that but I assume so?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 10:44 am
My younger relatives are very into sous vide for corned beef.

I just made one for Shabbos (not sous vide, I have one but somehow not into it). I put it in the oven with a little water overnight, tightly covered, in a 215F oven. It looks very soft and yummy. I made honey mustard dressing to serve with it (we like to drizzle it on when eating.)

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 11:07 am
I blinked when I saw your post and wondered if I had written it since that was my question last night.

I ended up putting it in the crockpot on low overnight for 9 hours with a bit of seasoning.

Haven’t tasted it yet but I let it cool down and then sliced it. It looks soft and tender.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 11:24 am
Open the bag and remove the corned beef. Rinse briefly.
For a 4 pound corned beef, put it into a deep pan with snug bottom (roast should take up the surface of the bottom of the pan so you don't lose flavor).
Add water to almost/barely cover.
Cover tightly and bake at 300 for 4 hours.

If making in advance for a YT, bake for 3 hours. Cool overnight. Slice and refrigerate/freeze. Store/freeze liquid separately as well.
Rewarm in liquid (it will continue to soften as it sits on the hot plate).

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 11:31 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
What is the best way to cook a corn beef. It is a First cut brisket.
I seem to have lost my touch.
Last time I baked it in the oven at 300 for 3 hours, as per the label on the package.
Time before I boiled for 2.5 hours.
Both times they were tasty but very tough.

I also have an instant pot.

Is my butcher selling me an inferior piece of meat or am I doing something wrong.

Would very much welcome recommendation.

Thank you.

Place your corned beef in your instant pot, on the rack, with a cup or so of water. Pressure cook for 80 to 90 minutes NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE. Never quick release meat.

While the pressure is releasing, heat up 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup brown sugar for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add 1/2 cup brown mustard, and cook another 5 minutes until somewhat thickened.

Preheat oven to 325.

Glaze meat with sauce, and place in oven for 30 minutes, turning over and re-glazing every 10 minutes.

shmoosh

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:00 pm
I just followed a recipe in the BY 2 cookbook- I hope it comes out good! It said to cook the corn beef with vinegar and pickling spice and enough water to cover it for 1.5 hours and then bake with a whole sauce for another half hour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics