Home

Who diagnosed your child with dyslexia?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 10:08 am
How does one go about getting a formal diagnosis?
Back to top

amother




Latte
 

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 12:05 pm
I got a comprehensive evaluation done by a child psychologist.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 12:38 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I got a comprehensive evaluation done by a child psychologist.


care to share your location and the price?
Back to top

amother




Outerspace
 

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:58 pm
Neuropsych evaluation done through my local hospital. I have private insurance and it was 100% covered because we had met our maximum for the year. I had called around to other places that did not take insurance and was quoted around 2100-3000+. I felt that the evaluation was extremely well done. My child ended up with a variety of diagnosis in addition to dyslexia. Hatzlacha. Its a long road. We are only a few months into this.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 4:08 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
Neuropsych evaluation done through my local hospital. I have private insurance and it was 100% covered because we had met our maximum for the year. I had called around to other places that did not take insurance and was quoted around 2100-3000+. I felt that the evaluation was extremely well done. My child ended up with a variety of diagnosis in addition to dyslexia. Hatzlacha. Its a long road. We are only a few months into this.


Thanks. mind sharing your location?
Back to top

amother




Saddlebrown
 

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 4:12 pm
Dr davidowitz in great neck. Cash $3500
Back to top

amother




Tiffanyblue
 

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 4:16 pm
Psychologist
Back to top

amother




Outerspace
 

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 4:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. mind sharing your location?


I'm not in the tristate area. In the midwest. I was referred by my child's neurologist. Your pediatrician may also have an idea for you.
Back to top

amother




Tiffanyblue
 

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 4:19 pm
There are many good neuropsychs in NY
ours took insurance but she takes only patients with a medical diagnosis.
Mandelman is good
Back to top

amother




Latte
 

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 8:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
care to share your location and the price?


I'm in Miami, it cost $3500. Insurance refused to cover it.
Back to top

finprof




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 8:28 pm
The local school district should pay. You pay taxes for this reason. Technically the only official diagnosis can be made via a psychoeducational eval. Where are you located?

Edited to add: A dyslexia diagnosis is NOT the end of the world. I have dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia. I couldn't read until I was 11 and yet I am now a published tenure track professor (w/ 4 kids).
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:12 pm
finprof wrote:
The local school district should pay. You pay taxes for this reason. Technically the only official diagnosis can be made via a psychoeducational eval. Where are you located?

Edited to add: A dyslexia diagnosis is NOT the end of the world. I have dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia. I couldn't read until I was 11 and yet I am now a published tenure track professor (w/ 4 kids).


OMG!! I think you were my professor!

I need the recommendations for my student, who's mom wants her to get an official diagnosis. I work with children who have diagnosed dyslexia as well as undiagnosed children with symptoms of dyslexia. So far, all my students learned to read within one school year BH.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:19 pm
I got it through a board of ed evaluation. It was free (for me, not the taxpayer).
Back to top

amother




Taupe
 

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:26 pm
A neuropsychologist- $3500 not covered by insurance. We too got a bigger picture of our child’s makeup and it has been uphill since bh!
Not in the tristate area…
Back to top

amother




Blueberry
 

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:35 pm
Dyslexia is also known as a specific learning disability in reading and can be determined by a school psychologist through the school district. If the SLD is significant and has educational impact then the student can be eligible for an IEP.
Back to top

amother




Crystal
 

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:39 pm
finprof wrote:
The local school district should pay. You pay taxes for this reason. Technically the only official diagnosis can be made via a psychoeducational eval. Where are you located?

Edited to add: A dyslexia diagnosis is NOT the end of the world. I have dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia. I couldn't read until I was 11 and yet I am now a published tenure track professor (w/ 4 kids).


Would u mind sharing what helped you? Have a 10 yr old still struggling
Back to top

amother




Hosta
 

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OMG!! I think you were my professor!

I need the recommendations for my student, who's mom wants her to get an official diagnosis. I work with children who have diagnosed dyslexia as well as undiagnosed children with symptoms of dyslexia. So far, all my students learned to read within one school year BH.

Where are you working?
I have a 6yr old son who has a very hard time learning how to read.(he's very smart, family history of dyslexia and ADD)
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:08 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
Where are you working?
I have a 6yr old son who has a very hard time learning how to read.(he's very smart, family history of dyslexia and ADD)


My son was the same way when he was 6 and in pre1a. ADD and struggled with reading. He finished 1st grade and is a MUCH better reader. He got a lot of help in school and also some of it just clicked at the end of pre1a.
Back to top

amother




Hosta
 

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:17 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My son was the same way when he was 6 and in pre1a. ADD and struggled with reading. He finished 1st grade and is a MUCH better reader. He got a lot of help in school and also some of it just clicked at the end of pre1a.

Any specific method?
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:26 pm
Some was just time. As the year was ending I could sit it more clicking in his mind then earlier in the school year.

In pre1a he got resource 2x a week for English reading. The teacher he worked with was very experienced in teaching reading. She was an older lady.

What I think made a bigger difference is that his reading group in the beginning of 1st grade was very small and the teacher was the school speech therapist. He moved up a group in December because he made so much progress.

I think small group instruction with teachers were super experienced in teaching reading made a big difference.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Is it possible to UNspoil a child?
by amother
19 Today at 9:27 am View last post
Spare the child
by amother
17 Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:34 pm View last post
ISO download reading material for my ASD child
by amother
1 Sun, Aug 07 2022, 10:11 am View last post
Urgent- adult child respite
by amother
2 Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:18 am View last post
How often does your child call home from sleep away camp?
by amother
23 Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:23 am View last post