Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Who diagnosed your child with dyslexia?
Previous  1  2

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:43 pm
finprof wrote:
The local school district should pay. You pay taxes for this reason. Technically the only official diagnosis can be made via a psychoeducational eval. Where are you located?

Edited to add: A dyslexia diagnosis is NOT the end of the world. I have dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia. I couldn't read until I was 11 and yet I am now a published tenure track professor (w/ 4 kids).

This is true but they are performed by a school psychologist who does not have nearly the same training as a neuropsychologist.

One of my kids had testing done 3 times and you cannot compare them. First was done by a regular psychologist through insurance and was OK. Second was done by pediatric neuropsychologist out of pocket and was excellent. Third was by local school district (to see if he qualified for an IEP) and it was terrible. You get what you pay for.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:43 pm
finprof wrote:
The local school district should pay. You pay taxes for this reason. Technically the only official diagnosis can be made via a psychoeducational eval. Where are you located?

Edited to add: A dyslexia diagnosis is NOT the end of the world. I have dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia. I couldn't read until I was 11 and yet I am now a published tenure track professor (w/ 4 kids).

I was diagnosed in third grade, also by the local school district’s people, as was my right as a child of tax payers.

And although I am not published or a professor, I agree very much that this diagnosis is not the end of the world.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:59 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
This is true but they are performed by a school psychologist who does not have nearly the same training as a neuropsychologist.

One of my kids had testing done 3 times and you cannot compare them. First was done by a regular psychologist through insurance and was OK. Second was done by pediatric neuropsychologist out of pocket and was excellent. Third was by local school district (to see if he qualified for an IEP) and it was terrible. You get what you pay for.

I don't agree. Maybe it matters where you live? I'm in New Jersey.

The public school evaluations, in my experience, were more than adequate to diagnose dyslexia. It's not rocket science, it's pretty low level testing and no interpretation is needed.

If you want actual help, that is a completely different story. I called tens and tens of people, holding the dyslexia diagnosis in my hand. I got absolutely nothing. As in zilch (I live in Lakewood).

But that's not related to the diagnosis.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 12:49 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
Any specific method?

I asked my friend who is the resource teacher in my sons school. She said they use Wilson Fundations which is based off of Orton Gillingham. Also ISME.

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 1:02 pm
Dyslexia is not what it was 20 years ago.
Today there are professionals readily available to help your child learn to read.

I am trained in Orton Gillingham and I have seen children diagnosed with dyslexia learn to read, write and spell.

Make sure when you hire someone to work with your child that they have received formal training in Orton Gillingham through the Orton Gillingham Academy of Practitioners or IMSE, the Institute forMulti Sensory Integration.

There are many people that have designed their own reading programs but I suggest you stick with people that have received proper training to receive optimal results.

Visit the IDA website - the y have a list of trained professionals in your area willing to help.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns feel free to reach out to me!

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:34 pm
Im actually in the middle of doing a neuropsyc Evaluation with my daughter I am 99% sure she’s dyslexic and we have been doing first Orton Gillingham and now Wilson’s with her. We have definitely seen improvement but we are still very far behind. I am hoping by doing this evaluation not only will be officially get a diagnosis for the Dyslexia but we will see what else is going on. We are paying privately for it. it’s really expensive And I pushed it off for a while because of that.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:43 pm
What is there to gain from an official dyslexia diagnosis?
(My son had a board of Ed evaluation but no official diagnosis yet, he's not in first grade yet)

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:48 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
What is there to gain from an official dyslexia diagnosis?
(My son had a board of Ed evaluation but no official diagnosis yet, he's not in first grade yet)

I think specialized teaching like OG, Wilson and there are more in some places require a diagnosis to access.

I am very lucky the head of our yeshivas resource room is trained in this area and trains all the resource teachers but most schools are not like that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics