Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can I pierce her ears but not with stud earrings?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 11:49 pm
I'm allergic to wearing earrings with posts. I've tried all types including 14k gold. It all gets infected, but I'm totally fine when I wear hoops or any earring without a post. My daughters are the same. I want to get my youngest daughter's ears pierced, but it seems like everyone insists that for the first 6 weeks minimum, you need to wear studs with posts. I don't want to put my daughter through the pain of infection, only for it to heal as soon as we stop using posts. Looking for someone that can pierce my daughter's ears and immediately use a hoop or non-post earrings.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 8:45 am
Bump

number

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 8:55 am
Tattoo artists are supposed to be better at piercing sensitive skin. I’m not sure how the logistics would work though.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:14 am
There are stud earrings for new piercings with an extra long stem and the post locks far from the ear. Would that work? Just move the earring so neither end is touching your daughter's ear.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:34 am
My daughters have very sensitive ears and can not tolerate 14K gold. You need 18K minimum, or preferably 24K. When I get their ears pierced, I also apply bacitracin for the first couple of weeks until their ears get used to it and that helps a lot.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:37 am
When I got my daughter's ears pierced I was able to choose earrings from titanium instead of gold.
Allergies to titanium are basically non-existent.
My DD cannot wear any gold earrings - studs or hoops - and this worked for her

miami85

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:42 am
Two things come to mind, 1) it may not the material of the earring but how tight the post is to your ear. When my daughter got her ears pierced a few years ago she was fine for the first 6 weeks and then we changed her earrings and I think I put it on too tightly, and she went swimming and afterwards it was all puffy and infected. The dr/earring place said "she must be allergic" whereas I thought it was just "too tight" so we treated it with antibiotics and afterwards she did use gold for a while, but then I tried "regular" earrings on her again and she's been fine with them, no allergy.

2) My mother and sister always said that they needed hypoallergenic earrings so I often thought I needed them as well. Then I started wearing regular earrings and noticed I was fine, so I continued. Then one time I bought myself a pair of "hypoallergenic earrings"-- I think they were hoops/one piece and I don't know why but every time I would wear them my ears would get all red and crusty so I don't wear them anymore, but I wear every other pair of earrings just fine.

I think studs are used because they don't add extra weight which may stretch the hole and don't snag like hoops can.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:17 am
miami85 wrote:
Two things come to mind, 1) it may not the material of the earring but how tight the post is to your ear. When my daughter got her ears pierced a few years ago she was fine for the first 6 weeks and then we changed her earrings and I think I put it on too tightly, and she went swimming and afterwards it was all puffy and infected. The dr/earring place said "she must be allergic" whereas I thought it was just "too tight" so we treated it with antibiotics and afterwards she did use gold for a while, but then I tried "regular" earrings on her again and she's been fine with them, no allergy.

There's no question that its not an allergy. If it were an allergy, she wouldn't be able to wear hoops or other earrings of the same metal.

You're probably right that its that the backs are too tight. The only other thing I can think of is the piercing being done poorly, with a piercing gun. Piercing guns increase the risk of infection because they harbor bacteria, cause a lot more tissue damage, and make the earrings too tight, among other things. OP should find a place that uses needles instead.

miami85 wrote:

2) My mother and sister always said that they needed hypoallergenic earrings so I often thought I needed them as well. Then I started wearing regular earrings and noticed I was fine, so I continued. Then one time I bought myself a pair of "hypoallergenic earrings"-- I think they were hoops/one piece and I don't know why but every time I would wear them my ears would get all red and crusty so I don't wear them anymore, but I wear every other pair of earrings just fine.

I think studs are used because they don't add extra weight which may stretch the hole and don't snag like hoops can.

Right. I've heard of places using hoops, but they can snag and pull, which makes healing more difficult. In fact, I'd wait until hat season is over to avoid the pulling issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics