Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD- remedies and q's
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:18 am
My son was just diagnosed with adhd.
Have a few questions:
He has anxiety too. Remember reading in the past that anxiety could mimic adhd. Psychotherapist says that his anxiety comes from adhd. Does tha make sense?

I don't think he's hyper at all. I'll be asking her that direct just wonder if anyone can explain it here. So why the adHd?

I'm really not excited it to put him on meds. But he could definitely use help in focusing. Anyone tried natural remedies that could help the focusing and impulsiveness?

If meds r needed, who prescribes that. Reg pediatrician?

I'm so lost dunno where to start

Rubies

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:36 am
I've worked on anxiety and seen so much improvement that I've had others ask if kid is on medication.

Ptsd can look like adhd due to anxiety and trauma.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:52 am
I don’t think anxiety comes from adhd or adhd comes from anxiety. I think they are both symptoms of a third, underlying cause.

The reason it’s adhd even if he’s not hyperactive is because they recently changed both add and adhd to be called adhd, without hyperactivity it’s called inattentive subtype.

I would want to treat root causes. Allopathic drugs will just mask symptoms. I like this book a lot, it’s a very clear and easy to follow program https://www.amazon.com/Finally.....r=8-1

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:36 am
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
I don’t think anxiety comes from adhd or adhd comes from anxiety. I think they are both symptoms of a third, underlying cause.

The reason it’s adhd even if he’s not hyperactive is because they recently changed both add and adhd to be called adhd, without hyperactivity it’s called inattentive subtype.

I would want to treat root causes. Allopathic drugs will just mask symptoms. I like this book a lot, it’s a very clear and easy to follow program https://www.amazon.com/Finally.....r=8-1

Thank you so much! I'll get this book.
Just wondering, is it diet related? I know diet is very important but it won't work with this kid 😕

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:38 am
Rubies wrote:
I've worked on anxiety and seen so much improvement that I've had others ask if kid is on medication.

Ptsd can look like adhd due to anxiety and trauma.

That's exactly what I told her. She claims in this case anxiety comes from not being focused and it's not really anxiety more behavioral. Doesn't sit right with me.

What type of work did u do for anxiety?

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:48 am
Regular exercise helps.

Social skills classes help.

Detailed charts and lists help.

Routines help.

But please, please don't rule out medication without giving it a fair try. Some kids are so very relieved to have it, like getting glasses when you've been unable to see the board for years. If it's not working well, there are no difficulties stopping the most commonly prescribed medications; they leave the system quickly.

I'd suggest a psychiatrist to prescribe, because they know more than your regular doctor.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:11 am
I tried all kinds of natural remedies for my kids with ADHD, without true results.
Medication was the ultimate solution and a real game changer bh.
Psychiatrists can prescrib meds.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much! I'll get this book.
Just wondering, is it diet related? I know diet is very important but it won't work with this kid 😕
The book has some chapters on diet but doesn’t focus exclusively on it. I will say however that for most adhd kids diet is a huge piece. I know, it hurts to hear. And if it “won’t work”, assuming that means your kid is very very picky, that usually a sign they need it even more. That, and pathogens, which the book doesn’t address at all. Especially if your child also has anxiety.

I will also say, just for clarity sake, that addressing root causes isn’t at all the same as “trying every natural remedy out there”. Root cause treatment is systemic, it’s scientific, it’s individualized, it’s based on testing. And it works.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:47 am
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
The book has some chapters on diet but doesn’t focus exclusively on it. I will say however that for most adhd kids diet is a huge piece. I know, it hurts to hear. And if it “won’t work”, assuming that means your kid is very very picky, that usually a sign they need it even more. That, and pathogens, which the book doesn’t address at all. Especially if your child also has anxiety.

I will also say, just for clarity sake, that addressing root causes isn’t at all the same as “trying every natural remedy out there”. Root cause treatment is systemic, it’s scientific, it’s individualized, it’s based on testing. And it works.

what are symptoms of pathogens and can you treat it naturally?

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:54 am
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
what are symptoms of pathogens and can you treat it naturally?
In the context of adhd , pathogens can cause hyperactivity, rage, aggression, anxiety, distractibility, sensory seeking, oppositional and defiant behavior, and more. Yes, theoretically pathogens can be treated naturally, but the treatment will depend on what pathogen you are dealing with. Strep, yeast, parasites are big for adhd.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:57 am
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
In the context of adhd , pathogens can cause hyperactivity, rage, aggression, anxiety, distractibility, sensory seeking, oppositional and defiant behavior, and more. Yes, theoretically pathogens can be treated naturally, but the treatment will depend on what pathogen you are dealing with. Strep, yeast, parasites are big for adhd.

is there a reliable test for pathogens?

my nutritionist recommended viome but the reviews were really not good?

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:02 am
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
is there a reliable test for pathogens?

my nutritionist recommended viome but the reviews were really not good?
I think viome tests for gut microbiome? We used Great Plains cdsa for yeast and parasites. But an OAT is better at picking up yeast. For infections we use bloodwork, ASO and antidnase b for strep, igg and igm for whatever other infections we suspect, Igenex or galaxy for Lyme and co.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:07 am
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
I think viome tests for gut microbiome? We used Great Plains cdsa for yeast and parasites. But an OAT is better at picking up yeast. For infections we use bloodwork, ASO and antidnase b for strep, igg and igm for whatever other infections we suspect, Igenex or galaxy for Lyme and co.

is gut microbe testing not important or do the other tests you do cover that too?

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:12 am
does anyone know a reliable lab in the uk for all this type of testing.

so much is coming up on google wouldn't know which is good?

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:13 am
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
is gut microbe testing not important or do the other tests you do cover that too?
The cdsa included some gut microbiome testing but not a complete analysis of microbiome more just some big markers. I think a cdsa will give you more workable information than a microbiome analysis, but microbiome analysis can potentially be helpful as well.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:15 am
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
The cdsa included some gut microbiome testing but not a complete analysis of microbiome more just some big markers. I think a cdsa will give you more workable information than a microbiome analysis, but microbiome analysis can potentially be helpful as well.

anyone used viome?

the reviews were really not good.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:38 am
My 7 year old was diagnosed with adhd last year. She is not hyper at all bh but has terrible focus. I took her to a neuropsych because I thought she had learning issues and he diagnosed her with both adhd and learning disabilities. Her school strongly suggested I medicate her to help her focus.

It is very hard to find a good psychiatrist that take insurance and meds in general can be trial and error. The first person I went to I was not happy with and didn’t feel meds were helping her at all but he didn’t want to up dose. I switched to someone else who right away upped the dose and the positive results in school were immediate. He is located far and I don’t love telehealth so once I was happy with the dose I switched to have my pediatrician prescribe it and he also monitors heart and height and weight. I like it best streamlined in one place.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:44 am
I didn’t read the whole thread but l-tyrosine helps us a lot. Google how it can help adhd.

Adhd is a silly name, you’re right. They eliminated ADD and renamed adhd adhd inattentive, combined type, and one more I forgot.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:59 am
I was going to post a thread on this! My son was also diagnosed with adhd and other learning differences. We started adhd meds and I saw a big diff at home with impulse control but in school they thought the meds were causing anxiety. They want him on an anxiety medication. My pediatrician thinks its the environment thats causing the anxiety and believes that we should switch to a school catered towards my son's learning struggles. But its a not jewish school. Don't know what to do... Kind of in the same boat.

Rubies

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's exactly what I told her. She claims in this case anxiety comes from not being focused and it's not really anxiety more behavioral. Doesn't sit right with me.

What type of work did u do for anxiety?

If you feel this way I hope you don't ignore your intuition.
I've been down this road and sometimes professionals are wrong. I have nothing against medication, ftr.

I spent a lot of time analyzing the behavior to identify triggers, patterns, and source of anxiety. Consciously worked on these things through changing our behavior, explaining what was happening to the child so things made sense and child was eager to address things.
Used a mix of sand tray, play therapy, somatic work to address the source.

Read a ton of books, checked in with a professional I trust to make sure I'm going on the right path and to answer any questions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)