Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Mask on plane?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:46 am
Hi,
I have a newly 2 yr old and we’re scheduled to travel soon. I tried putting a mask on him but he rips it off right away. Won’t keep it on for a second. Any suggestions how to get him to wear one?
Thanks

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:47 am
Newly 2? They are unlikely to give you trouble. I pack a mask and hope for the best. So far, it's always been the best.

Rabbit613

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:50 am
I flew American Airlines about a month ago with a four and six year old. Most of the flight their masks were down and noone cared.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:53 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Newly 2? They are unlikely to give you trouble. I pack a mask and hope for the best. So far, it's always been the best.

He’s big he looks like he’s 3

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:54 am
I guess I’m scared from all the stories of people getting thrown off the plane, I don’t want to be the next story.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
I have a newly 2 yr old and we’re scheduled to travel soon. I tried putting a mask on him but he rips it off right away. Won’t keep it on for a second. Any suggestions how to get him to wear one?
Thanks

I saw some ideas like sew a pacifier into a mask, or give him a lollipop to eat under the mask

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:57 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I saw some ideas like sew a pacifier into a mask, or give him a lollipop to eat under the mask

I think they would not have to mask if eating a lollipop anyway. So that could be another option if you draw the short straw with toddler mask enforcement.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess I’m scared from all the stories of people getting thrown off the plane, I don’t want to be the next story.

I get that but how many of those stories have really come out? 3, maybe? We don't know the number of 2-year-olds who have gone maskless no issue. I'm sure that number is very high.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:11 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I think they would not have to mask if eating a lollipop anyway. So that could be another option if you draw the short straw with toddler mask enforcement.

I was on a flight where several people had their masks down to eat lollipops and the flight attendant came over to say that's not going to work, and either wear your masks properly or get off the plane.

OP you may get a non-pushy flight crew, but especially with Omicron going around, I wouldn't count on it.

Even if they're not pushy, all you need is one passenger nearby to complain about your kid and they will have no choice but to get involved.

If he's not capable of following the rules, I wouldn't let him jeopardize my trip at this time, nor risk the potential Chillul Hashem stories that we've all heard about.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:11 pm
Dress him in a onesie, give him pacifier, put him in car seat. Dont try to force mask on him then they will know he is over 2. Just act nonchalant. Make him look as young as possible and then just daven you have sympathetic crew.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:12 pm
Just pretend hes under 2
I did this recently no q were asked. No one will ask to see a birth certificate on domestic flight

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:17 pm
I have same issue but my child is newly three and I have purchased a seat so can’t pretend to be under two. I’m hoping it won’t be an issue.. I can’t see a mask staying on for three plus hours

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:18 pm
Dont fly. No vacation is worth possibly getting kicked off the plane.

And if the kid looks 3 you cant pretend they are under 2. Flight attendants know. (A small 2 year old you can pretend they will be 2 next month).
All it requires is 1 other passenger to say "that kid is over 2" and they have to look into it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:18 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
I have same issue but my child is newly three and I have purchased a seat so can’t pretend to be under two. I’m hoping it won’t be an issue.. I can’t see a mask staying on for three plus hours

No rule that says you can't purchase a seat for a 1 year old.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:19 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:

Hatzlacha. I'm a screen time avoider but I do think it could be helpful here.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:19 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
No rule that says you can't purchase a seat for a 1 year old.

Yes but there is a rule that a 3 year old needs a seat. I think that's the point.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
Thanks

This is the hardest age to travel with. Some airlines will give you hell or worse.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:20 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Yes but there is a rule that a 3 year old needs a seat. I think that's the point.

Right. But just because a child is in a seat doesn't mean anything regarding how old he is. That said I don't think you will pass a 3 year old off as under 2 unless he is very small.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:21 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Dress him in a onesie, give him pacifier, put him in car seat. Dont try to force mask on him then they will know he is over 2. Just act nonchalant. Make him look as young as possible and then just daven you have sympathetic crew.

Also give him a bottle
A pacifier
Diapers etc

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:22 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:

Teach the kid to wear a major be prepared to be asked to leave. You bought a seat. A 3 year old is not a 2 year old...

And this is why so many frum families get kicked off planes. For not following the rules. Even if the rules are crazy these are the rules. So dont fly. If my kid couldn't wear a mask I would just figure out another option. Drive. Go somewhere else. These rules have been in place for so long- it's not like they changed it after you bought the ticket...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics