Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Mask on plane?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:23 am
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
This is the hardest age to travel with. Some airlines will give you hell or worse.

Did you have a personal experience of them giving you worse then hell?
BH my other kids wear a mask without a problem, I would really be calm if I can get my toddler used to wearing one… looking for tips and ideas how to achieve that.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:25 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Teach the kid to wear a major be prepared to be asked to leave. You bought a seat. A 3 year old is not a 2 year old...

And this is why so many frum families get kicked off planes. For not following the rules. Even if the rules are crazy these are the rules. So dont fly. If my kid couldn't wear a mask I would just figure out another option. Drive. Go somewhere else. These rules have been in place for so long- it's not like they changed it after you bought the ticket...

I don't either really understand why someone would buy a ticket without addressing this issue... one thing if you're looking for ideas so you can decide whether the kid should come, but to only start thinking about this right before the flight is moronic.

PSmommy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:30 am
We flew with our 2 and a half year old last week. We had a mask in our bag just in case but didn't take it out. BH no one said anything. Be nice to everyone and work extra hard to entertain your kid so they attract any extra attention. And lots of snacks.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did you have a personal experience of them giving you worse then hell?
BH my other kids wear a mask without a problem, I would really be calm if I can get my toddler used to wearing one… looking for tips and ideas how to achieve that.

Lots of practice, slowly building up the amount of time is the key. Do you allow any screen time? If so, now screen time is only allowed with a mask on. You could also do this with a favorite book or new toy. Also, lots of modeling so that the toddler sees that parents and older siblings wear a mask during mask time (this is the good part of the flight itself—you can point out that everyone around is wearing a mask too). Make sure you have lots of masks so that you can swap them out whenever they get gross and toddler can feel big getting to choose what pattern.

For the flight itself, make sure you have lots of snacks for frequent mask breaks.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:33 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I don't either really understand why someone would buy a ticket without addressing this issue... one thing if you're looking for ideas so you can decide whether the kid should come, but to only start thinking about this right before the flight is moronic.

You’re moronic to assume we are right before a flight.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:34 am
We (8 siblings) were flying with a toddler and many babies to my fathers levaya (where all the adults were obviously preoccupied) and our whole group almost got kicked off the plane. It was only other passengers insistence and videoing that shut up the flight attendant.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Oh so you mean you didn't book yet? OK that's a different story.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:38 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Oh so you mean you didn't book yet? OK that's a different story.

Seriously no one asked you for your judgement.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:41 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Teach the kid to wear a major be prepared to be asked to leave. You bought a seat. A 3 year old is not a 2 year old...

And this is why so many frum families get kicked off planes. For not following the rules. Even if the rules are crazy these are the rules. So dont fly. If my kid couldn't wear a mask I would just figure out another option. Drive. Go somewhere else. These rules have been in place for so long- it's not like they changed it after you bought the ticket...

Thanks Karen
The rules are obviously ridiculous and anyone who made it up obviously did not have kids. Theres no way to force a 2 year old to wear a mask as anyone who raised a 2 tear old before can assert to. Who are you to tell op not to fly? Maybe she needs to. Maybe she wants to. Noyb. We dont all have to hunker down for the next ten years because of Fauci and his ridiculous rules life needs to go on.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:45 am
Op did you input his bday on the seat? If you did that may be an issue as they may be able to look it up... if not just totally pretend hes under 2. No one will bother you. If they do ask what they are talking about and play dumb.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:49 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Yes but there is a rule that a 3 year old needs a seat. I think that's the point.

So do 2 years olds it’s just under 2 that doesn’t.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:52 am
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
Op did you input his bday on the seat? If you did that may be an issue as they may be able to look it up... if not just totally pretend hes under 2. No one will bother you. If they do ask what they are talking about and play dumb.

I’m going to really try to get him used it wearing one. Unfortunately I already put in his DOB Sad I’m thinking of trying to sew a paci into his mask and maybe he would wear it like that.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 10:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not to nitpick, but doesn’t “scheduled to travel soon” and the fact that you are scared to get thrown off the plane mean that you are flying soon? Whether you have a ticket or not is inconsequential. There are plenty of good ideas here, but you also need to work with your child to try to get him/her to wear a mask. Daily practice, for a few minutes a day. You need to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 10:05 am
Start masking up a favorite stiffed animal part of the time. She can be in charge of putting the mask on it. I agree about the screen time thing.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 10:34 am
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
Thanks Karen
The rules are obviously ridiculous and anyone who made it up obviously did not have kids. Theres no way to force a 2 year old to wear a mask as anyone who raised a 2 tear old before can assert to. Who are you to tell op not to fly? Maybe she needs to. Maybe she wants to. Noyb. We dont all have to hunker down for the next ten years because of Fauci and his ridiculous rules life needs to go on.

I thought name calling under imamother is against the rules.

Again, even if the rules are moronic we still need to follow them.
If your kid cant wear a mask then you cant fly. Same as if you want to fly you need an ID, need a ticket for each person, no water through security... those are the rules. If they said you had to wear green t shirts or get kicked off you need to wear green t shirts.

And yes, I raised 2 year olds. Yes all my kids wear masks when needed by law. I live in a strict mask city and state. So no, you are WRONG saying 2 year olds cant wear them. If they see mom is hesitant, anxious or against it then they will refuse. But if they see it's ok then it becomes ok for them.

Here is what worked for us:
We started with lollipops under the masks and then they were fine wearing them even without lollipops.
We picked out patterns together that they liked. Back at the beginning when you couldnt get paper masks we sewed them- and they got dogs, cars, candy etc themed masks. Now you can buy them in many more colors/patterns and styles.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 1:28 pm
I work with 2.5 year olds in nursery school and they can ABSOLUTELY wear masks. It is all about expectations and reminders. If a child's mask slips, I remind in a joking voice, "I don't want to see your nose" and they correct it. The children even let us know if another child has taken his/hers off. When a child at the beginning of the pandemic complained and whined about wearing his mask, I told him, "We have to wear pants at school, right? Well, we also have to wear masks." He is the only child who ever gave us an issue. Children can step up and do better than adults if we make it an expectation.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:02 pm
Eemaof3 wrote:
I work with 2.5 year olds in nursery school and they can ABSOLUTELY wear masks. It is all about expectations and reminders. If a child's mask slips, I remind in a joking voice, "I don't want to see your nose" and they correct it. The children even let us know if another child has taken his/hers off. When a child at the beginning of the pandemic complained and whined about wearing his mask, I told him, "We have to wear pants at school, right? Well, we also have to wear masks." He is the only child who ever gave us an issue. Children can step up and do better than adults if we make it an expectation.

pathetic

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:06 pm
Eemaof3 wrote:

This is literally child abuse and the studies coming out showing that pandemic kids have lower IQ proves it.
Just to correct your last sentence-
Children can be conditioned and abused to do anything.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:13 pm
Op while there are no guarantees flight crews are not like they were two years ago. With good reason. I have seen many people fly with 3 and 4 year olds and they generally wore masks upon take off....they ate and drank and had masks off flight crew was not looking or caring B"H.
In fact, lately I have seen many ADULTS not wearing masks, or under their chin, and no one cared after boarding and take off. Including um yes flight attendants.
Do your best, and try not to worry about it. Flights were chill not like tense stress city of two years ago when I did understand the fear before vaccines were available and the only relaxed traveller were those with natural immunity and high antibody count B"H. Back two years ago before any protocol, therapeutics, and much more severe original strain with far higher death rates R"L.
Obviously you do your best and mask the child up when possible.
Hatzlocha

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:20 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
This is literally child abuse and the studies coming out showing that pandemic kids have lower IQ proves it.
Just to correct your last sentence-
Children can be conditioned and abused to do anything.

How can you compare wearing pants to wearing a mask over a body part meant to inhale and exhale? It is not natural not to breathe freely and a child should never be shamed or guilted for wanting to breathe.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics