Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Mumps

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:05 pm
I was just diagnosed with mumps after having flu for the past week. dr told me its a rare complication of flu. I'm wondering if there is a mumps outbreak or am I the only one with it? yes I'm vaccinated for mmr.
while we're at it, if you had it and can recommend something that provides relief please let me know. thanks.

Rubies

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:12 pm
Don't know about relief from mumps but I do know that my vaccination didnt show in the blood and had to take the mmr again.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:19 pm
Rubies wrote:
Don't know about relief from mumps but I do know that my vaccination didnt show in the blood and had to take the mmr again.

yes I also had this but even after taking it again I didn't show immunity. Dr said some people just don't get immune from mmr vaccine.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:32 pm
Rubies wrote:

Me too. I've taken it 3 times as an adult.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was just diagnosed with mumps after having flu for the past week. dr told me its a rare complication of flu. I'm wondering if there is a mumps outbreak or am I the only one with it? yes I'm vaccinated for mmr.
while we're at it, if you had it and can recommend something that provides relief please let me know. thanks.
Seems the parotitis (Swelling of salivary glands) associated with the flu is not the same one that comes from the mumps virus.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:48 pm
Were you ACTUALLY diagnosed with Mumps (ie: bloodwork sent out to confirm?). Thats the ONLY way to know.

Because parotitis (swelling of salivary glands which looks like Mumps) has been a common side effect of the flu this season. Its actually a sinus infection from the excess mucus.

If so, you need a good antibio like Augmentin and a hot water bottle applied several times a day/night. You then massage the area and ‘pull down’ to drain it. Take pain killers too.

My son had this and that is what worked. Took about a week to heal. Please make sure as to what you actually have. If you have a bacterial infection as I described, you need antibio asap.

If it is actually Mumps, oy! Still use the hot water bottle and Refuah Shelaimah.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:51 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Me too. I've taken it 3 times as an adult.

Are you sure that's about mumps and not rubella?

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:59 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
yes I also had this but even after taking it again I didn't show immunity. Dr said some people just don't get immune from mmr vaccine.

I had the same. with pregnancy #5 I showed no immunity, so I took the mmr after giving birth. pregnancy #6 still showed no immunity, but pregnancy #7 showed immunity. go figure...

OP, you may not be immune anymore.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:06 pm
What ridiculousness! Mumps is a virus and you get it by catching it from another person, not as a side effect of another virus.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:58 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
What ridiculousness! Mumps is a virus and you get it by catching it from another person, not as a side effect of another virus.

One doesn't catch a virus as a side effect of another virus, but there are other things that can lead to a similar presentation. That was why she was advised to check bloodwork in order to get a definitive diagnosis.

For comparison, I can be coughing because I have a cough, because I have bronchitis, or because I have corona. They are all different diseases, but can lead to a similar presentation. Medically it is referred to as a differential diagnosis.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Definitely do blood work. Years ago I really looked like a had mumps and the dr I saw was totally convinced I had it too. I went to a dif dr and she said it was very infected lymph nodes from strep that was misdiagnosed. I still have a tiny lump left til today from that infection. But it wasn't mumps.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:49 pm
delete topic please
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries